Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can american born child enter india with both indian citizen parents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

a friend wants to make a trip to india in september and isn't sure if travel is allowed for the kid (under 1 year age) who is american born and has american passport. Does the child needs to apply for indian visa? any info is helpful

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the child cannot enter unless he has a visa or an oci card....
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
As of date OCI is a must. Foreigners with specific business visas with specific travel reasons are only being allowed into India right now.

These rules are currently changing (being relaxed) every few weeks or so. However that is no guarantee that on the date of travel a tourist visa will do.

Your friend should also talk to the Indian Embassy/TA/Airline.

https://boi.gov.in/content/advisory-...ted-covid-19-1
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mohitmadaan
a friend wants to make a trip to india in september and isn't sure if travel is allowed for the kid (under 1 year age) who is american born and has american passport. Does the child needs to apply for indian visa? any info is helpful
Not sure why you and your friend think it may be possible for a US citizen to enter India without a visa. It is impossible. Age, parents, ethnicity are irrelevant.

For this September, the child's visa application will probably be declined.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Not sure why you and your friend think it may be possible for a US citizen to enter India without a visa. It is impossible. Age, parents, ethnicity are irrelevant.

For this September, the child's visa application will probably be declined.

i dont' know, i guess probably because they recently moved to US and think they are just as much as indian as other indians are, lol... stupid logic, i get it. They will perhaps try to get indian visa for the kid and if not, delay the trip
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan
i dont' know, i guess probably because they recently moved to US and think they are just as much as indian as other indians are, lol... stupid logic, i get it. They will perhaps try to get indian visa for the kid and if not, delay the trip
its unlikely they will be able to get the visa for a september trip....
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:03 am

I would assume the kid is Indian by virtue of the parents. I'd tell the parents to contact the consulate soonest as there may be a time limit to registering the birth. They can also advise on travel (if they can get hold of someone).
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
I would assume the kid is Indian by virtue of the parents. I'd tell the parents to contact the consulate soonest as there may be a time limit to registering the birth. They can also advise on travel (if they can get hold of someone).
I'm not sure that's legal given the child already has a US passport...
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:41 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
The parents should apply for OCI for their child since the child isn't eligible for Indian citizenship or a passport. Then the child can travel to India with almost no restrictions.

https://www.indianembassyusa.gov.in/pages/MjY,
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpe
The parents should apply for OCI for their child since the child isn't eligible for Indian citizenship or a passport. Then the child can travel to India with almost no restrictions.

https://www.indianembassyusa.gov.in/pages/MjY,
that would be the right course of action but the likelihood of the child getting the oci by september is slim at best....
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:51 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Keyser
that would be the right course of action but the likelihood of the child getting the oci by september is slim at best....
Well true (on the website they say 4-6 weeks normally), but trying to get in any other way by September seems even less doable. May as well apply for it now rather than later and not have to worry about other visas.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpe
Well true (on the website they say 4-6 weeks normally), but trying to get in any other way by September seems even less doable. May as well apply for it now rather than later and not have to worry about other visas.
it generally takes a lot longer than 4-6 weeks, even though that's what they state on the website....these days it would take much longer....i would be surprised if they are even processing oci applications are the moment that are not of an urgent nature....
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:22 am

I'm sure OCI applications would be a mess right now with both reduced staff & services at the Indian embassies and a huge backlog of applications since more people are now applying for it. The 4-6 weeks is a best case scenario... and we're quite far from that right now.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I'm not sure that's legal given the child already has a US passport...
Per Wikipedia:
A minor, who is an Indian citizen by descent but also possess another nationality by birth, involuntarily, may retain the same and hence will be a dual citizen until attaining the full age of 18 years. Within 6 months of attaining full age, the child needs to decide on nationality and renounce the foreign citizenship otherwise, the Indian nationality will default be terminated.

Would definitely recommend doing further research instead of relying on wikipedia info, but at first glance seems promising.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Per Wikipedia:

Would definitely recommend doing further research instead of relying on wikipedia info, but at first glance seems promising.
In cases where a new passport is required for a child born in USA to parents holding Indian Passports, the child can acquire U.S citizenship due to his place of birth being U.S.A.
  • In case parents wish to obtain Indian passport for the child, they are required to register the birth of the child with the Indian Mission before applying for a passport for the newborn.
  • Both the parents should sign a declaration of non-acquisition of a U.S nationality by the child and consent to issue of an Indian passport to the child.
https://passport.in.ckgs.us/faq/pass...-in-usa-to#934

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.