How do I get an Air India refund?

Old Feb 28, 20, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
How do I get Air India refund?

Hi - I hope someone can offer some practical advice please. I bought a refundable Air India London-Delhi business class ticket in mid January (2000 +) on their website for travel in Feb, which I cancelled on 29th January (prior to travel). I cancelled it by phone. I have not yet received any refund to my credit card.

What are the best steps to get them to actually action the refund?

I have spoken to them on the phone 4 times, and each time get a different answer. Generally it's "don't worry sir, your refund will be actioned after <insert random number of days>". Different phone agents have said 7 days, 14 days, 21 bank working days, etc. Different answer each time. I have emailed [email protected] twice over the weeks, but have not had a reply.

I am UK based, and have been calling their UK number 08000 489 254 which connects to agents in India. I have also tried calling their ecommerce phone number +91 11 2466 7473, but it always gives an engaged tone.

Any sensible suggestions please? Will it just happen eventually?

Last edited by beardedgeologist; Feb 28, 20 at 4:42 am
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
AI is sort of well meaning but completely clueless an bungling govt. dept. So I don't think they're being nefarious when they're not refunding you. Just normal bureaucrats who don't care a horse's a about anything.

You'll get your money back. Keep the pressure on... keeping calling and emailing them every few days. Threaten to report them to whatever is the equivalent of the Better Business Bureau.

Also are you 100% sure they've cancelled the ticket?
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you cancelled and have asked for and not received a refund, report this to your card issuer (bank) and let the bank take it from there. No need to waste your time chasing AI and AI won't do anything to push back on the bank. The same inaction which has resulted in no refund will result in a refund when the shoe is on the other foot.
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty confident they did successfully cancel the ticket - the agents I've spoken to have confirmed as much, though infuriatingly they won't email me a cancellation receipt or similar in writing.

Are there any other offices/phone numbers that I can speak to? Do AI have staff in UK (or elsewhere in Europe or US) that can perhaps help me more locally? Or email addresses they will actually reply on?
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Contact Details - Air India - Filter the "REGION" to UK & EU and then STATION to "London" or anything else.

AFAIK, refunds will be processed in India. However it doesn't hurt to get them to push your case or just vent your frustration.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a ticketing office in the greater London area:

Old Feb 28, 20, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Thank again for the UK info. I have called and emailed those contacts, but no replies. The UK phone number just rang and rang and rang, and then got disconnected. Oh well, if anyone knows any numbers or email addresses that DO get replies...
Old Feb 29, 20, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've had to wait up to 45 days for refunds in the past....i don't think there is any malice here....its just ai being ai....you can either keep calling them every week or just report this to your bank/credit card from where you made the payment....they will take it up with ai....
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist View Post
Thank again for the UK info. I have called and emailed those contacts, but no replies. The UK phone number just rang and rang and rang, and then got disconnected. Oh well, if anyone knows any numbers or email addresses that DO get replies...
As noted. Do not waste one more nanosecond on this. Let your card issuer (bank) handle the matter. Many / most will do so through an online form which you can complete in a few idle minutes, rather than spending time tracking people down.

This puts the shoe on the other foot.
Old Mar 7, 20, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Just to complete the loop on this - the refund finally arrived in my credit card after 35 days.

I never got any replies to my emails from either the Indian or UK email addresses, or got calls answered by UK or Indian phone numbers (except the sales line who could sell me new tickets but not action a refund). Nor, have I received any automated emails confirming the cancellation, or for the issuance of the refund.

Generally as noted above, it has been an all-round typically vacant "state run company" lack of customer service - lesson learnt, don't think I'll be buying any business class tickets from Air India ever again!
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Hilariously, despite having successfully received my full refund on March 7th, I have today (21st April) finally received my one and only email reply from Air India. That is, they have replied today (21st April) to my original February 3rd email. Their email today says:

"we regret that we are unable to resolve your case at present. It will be attended to, as per applicable rules, once normalcy restores back."

Anyhow, it gave me a good laugh, which is welcome right now!
Old Apr 21, 20, 7:12 am

You should send them a stern letter warning them that unless they refund you right away you will sue!
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist View Post
Hilariously, despite having successfully received my full refund on March 7th, I have today (21st April) finally received my one and only email reply from Air India. That is, they have replied today (21st April) to my original February 3rd email. Their email today says:

"we regret that we are unable to resolve your case at present. It will be attended to, as per applicable rules, once normalcy restores back."

Anyhow, it gave me a good laugh, which is welcome right now!
this is pretty normal with ai....even during non-pandemic times....i've lost count of the number of times i have received semi-automated responses weeks or months after my issues have been resolved....

one of the best replies i received from them was for a reward reservation i cancelled a few years ago....i had called about a week before my flight....the reservation was cancelled but i was told to send them an email to get the miles & taxes amount redeposited to my account....i sent them the email while i was still on the phone with the agent....i received the miles back the next day & the taxes amount back in another 3-4 days....about a month later i get a reply letting me know that my flight date has already passed a month ago & in the future i should send them emails to cancel my reservation before the date of my flight....
dmarge18 and deovrat like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: