Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Lounge recommendation for AI J class (no status) pax in BKK

Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat

I have a BKK - BOM flight on AI J in the first week of Jan 2020. I am told that the lounge AI sends their guests to is not worth visiting. I have flown with TG several times in the past and find their lounges to be mediocre. As a non-status (no status on any *alliance program) J pax, what other lounges would I have access to? Which one would you recommend?

As a sidenote, I haven't flown AI internationally for about 6 years. What may I expect? e.g. do they provide fast track cards for BKK arrivals and departure?

Many thanks
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by vbh812
I have a BKK - BOM flight on AI J in the first week of Jan 2020. I am told that the lounge AI sends their guests to is not worth visiting. I have flown with TG several times in the past and find their lounges to be mediocre. As a non-status (no status on any *alliance program) J pax, what other lounges would I have access to? Which one would you recommend?

As a sidenote, I haven't flown AI internationally for about 6 years. What may I expect? e.g. do they provide fast track cards for BKK arrivals and departure?

Many thanks
J pax will be allowed into any *A lounge. AI gates in BKK?

There is a TG fast track for arrivals. I don't know if AI is allowed to use it.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 23, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vbh812

Many thanks
Not sure about the opening hours but the SQ SilverKris lounge at BKK is markedly better than the TG business lounges. Not that it helps in your specific case but beyond the TG Royal First lounge which is obviously for TG and *A first passengers, it is OneWorld that have the nicest lounge options at BKK, notably the lovely CX lounge and QR lounge.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The SQ lounge is pretty much the best *A lounge in BKK, BR is a close second, the TG ones and the contract lounges are rather meh. The SQ lounge is open from 6:30am to 11pm and will fit the AI flight timings. They take their hours rather seriously and stop service aroun 10.15pm. At 10.30 they start reminding you that they are about to close
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Thanks guys, I was looking for personal preferences amongst the Star Alliance lounges in BKK. Seems like SQ is the unanimous choice here although looking at the facilities on the Star Alliance webpage, it seems I may have to schlep myself to BR/TG for a quick shower before settling down in SQ.

Does AI subscribe to the BKK fast-track arrivals and departures? I've done BOM/DEL - BKK, several times, with TG and with 9W and always received fast-track; first time on AI to BKK. Lately, I've shifted loyalties to OW from Star and lost the ability to select a J seat in the TG F cabin; the outdated TG J cabin on the old 747 made me book AI (Dreamliner) for our new year break.

Whats the F&B like on AI - best to eat/drink in the SQ lounge - does the SQ lounge serve dinner or is it mostly snacks?
IFE - adequate for ~4hrs or do I load up my iPad with content?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Not sure about the opening hours but the SQ SilverKris lounge at BKK is markedly better than the TG business lounges. Not that it helps in your specific case but beyond the TG Royal First lounge which is obviously for TG and *A first passengers, it is OneWorld that have the nicest lounge options at BKK, notably the lovely CX lounge and QR lounge.

As OWE, I've been spoiled by some top class CX/QR/QF/AAflagship lounges at their hubs and at several outstation ports. BKK, unfortunately, has always been on Star or, in the past, on 9W; I haven't been able to talk myself into a one-stop flight in place of a ~4hr direct flight.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The SQ lounge is pretty much the best *A lounge in BKK,
good to know....flying bkk-del on ai in the first week of january & was wondering which lounge to use....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.