Can Air India ever win popularity contest?

Old Oct 19, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Can Air India ever win popularity contest?

Air India seem to attract bad publicity-crew fights, roaches in cabin, bad service, poor boarding sequence etc. In every category it seems to be at the bottom of the list. However, I have flown AI, at least 15 RT in the past 5 years. Nothing to complain about. Actually I liked the food! I even got a free upgrade for no obvious reason.
On the other hand, Jet Airways crew seem to have a chip on their shoulders (until recently!) and acted as if passengers were illiterate morons.
May be Indians should go easy on Air India instead of expecting heaven and earth. AI's fare is one of the cheapest and competitive within India.
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
I’ve flown them 3 times in the last two months.
1) Generally depart late
2) Dirty Aircraft
3) Limited Bar.. excuses over no stock (which I believe as they currently cant pay for fuel)

As long as they are Indian managed, they will continue to fail.

Adopting a western management would do wonders. Firing 20- 30% of their staff would be the first point of order. A ground up rebirth is required.

Air India’s government ownership and Senior Management incompetence are soley to blame.

This is being written in Kolkota staring at a empty bay where my AI flight should be. #late
Old Oct 20, 19, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post
Air India seem to attract bad publicity-crew fights, roaches in cabin, bad service, poor boarding sequence etc. In every category it seems to be at the bottom of the list. However, I have flown AI, at least 15 RT in the past 5 years. Nothing to complain about. Actually I liked the food! I even got a free upgrade for no obvious reason.
On the other hand, Jet Airways crew seem to have a chip on their shoulders (until recently!) and acted as if passengers were illiterate morons.
May be Indians should go easy on Air India instead of expecting heaven and earth. AI's fare is one of the cheapest and competitive within India.
i take over 60 flights with them every year....both international & domestic....i took a similar number of flights with jet airways as well every year....never have i seen jet staff treat passengers like morons....

at the end of the day air india gets the job done....it takes you from point a to b on one of the cheapest fares....no one really expects heaven & earth with ai....they just expect to get to their destination on time....something which ai is not particularly good at as their on time performance is one of the worst....

most of the bad rep ai gets is deserved....they have a badly run airline & refuse to change....but like i said before, they get the job done....
Old Oct 22, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I disagree with a couple of things that OP said... AI is definitely not the cheapest fare within India and very occasionally the cheapest without. J/F is an exception but they don't have competitive products for J or F. And I've not been treated like a moron on 9W, I've flown them a fair bit... but I'm very eager to hear OP's specific experience.

And personally I kind of like AI... generally their service and food is quite good. And while I've met a few grumpy flight assistants on AI, I've found they are generally quite service focused. And certainly service on AI is a million miles ahead of US carriers.

I do hate their attitude and response to any IRROPs though. That's where AI is at their worst.
PVDtoDEL likes this.

Search this Thread