Help re domestic Indian airlines

Old Oct 8, 19, 12:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 456
Help re domestic Indian airlines

Hello please can anybody help me? I will be flying to COK from BOM early next year. I will not arrive in BOM until about 2.30 from London and will want to crash in a bed for a few hours before flying again (and also donít want to chance a flight delay etc and miss my connection). Therefore I think I will need a late afternoon flight. I would normally take Indigo but their flights are quite late and there is a Spicejet and AI flight about 1.5-2 hours earlier. Are Spice Jet and Air India as atrocious in terms of service, delays and cancellations as people say? I will have mounds of luggage.... any thoughts very gratefully appreciated. Thanks
CharlotteC is online now  
Old Oct 8, 19, 1:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ORD
Posts: 686
Domestic flights are a hit or miss in India. Normally, flights in the morning (6-9am) are unlikely to be delayed. It's only when an aircraft hops around cities along the day, delays start piling up. Arriving at BOM at 2:30am you are likely to face significant wait times at immigration and customs. See this thread for minimum connection times recommended Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

AI and Spicejet fly from the same terminal as your arriving flight from London. I would recommend minimum 2 hours of layover for a connection, more if they are on separate PNR. For Indigo, you will have to switch terminal, which is essentially another airport. It's a 20-30 minutes drive (you will have to get a taxi) from your arriving terminal. Not recommended with mounds of luggage. If you do go that way, I would keep 4-5 hours of connection time.
leonidas is online now  
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:27 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Domestic flights are a hit or miss in India. Normally, flights in the morning (6-9am) are unlikely to be delayed. It's only when an aircraft hops around cities along the day, delays start piling up. Arriving at BOM at 2:30am you are likely to face significant wait times at immigration and customs. See this thread for minimum connection times recommended Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

AI and Spicejet fly from the same terminal as your arriving flight from London. I would recommend minimum 2 hours of layover for a connection, more if they are on separate PNR. For Indigo, you will have to switch terminal, which is essentially another airport. It's a 20-30 minutes drive (you will have to get a taxi) from your arriving terminal. Not recommended with mounds of luggage. If you do go that way, I would keep 4-5 hours of connection time.
Many thanks I will aim to book myself into a hotel to sleep and rest for a few hours before heading onto my next flight. What is better Spicejet or Air India - thank you?
CharlotteC is online now  
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:30 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,561
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post
Many thanks I will aim to book myself into a hotel to sleep and rest for a few hours before heading onto my next flight. What is better Spicejet or Air India - thank you?
air india is the lesser of the 2 evils....its also a full service carrier & will allow you to carry more luggage....

as far as the hotel is concerned, there are tons of hotels near the airport but one in the terminal itself....check out the niranta airport hotel....this way you won't have to leave the airport....
Keyser is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Posts: 972
How much luggage do you have? AI will give you 25kgs but you can pay for cheap excess baggage with Indigo. Take a look at this link and scroll down to international connections - https://www.goindigo.in/add-on-servi...s-baggage.html
Anish is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:40 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
How much luggage do you have? AI will give you 25kgs but you can pay for cheap excess baggage with Indigo. Take a look at this link and scroll down to international connections - https://www.goindigo.in/add-on-servi...s-baggage.html
tHank you unfortunately IndiGoís flight is two hours later than the others
CharlotteC is online now  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:42 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
air india is the lesser of the 2 evils....its also a full service carrier & will allow you to carry more luggage....

as far as the hotel is concerned, there are tons of hotels near the airport but one in the terminal itself....check out the niranta airport hotel....this way you won't have to leave the airport....
Thank you I think that I will probably have about 12 hours between flights at least
CharlotteC is online now  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:43 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
air india is the lesser of the 2 evils....its also a full service carrier & will allow you to carry more luggage....

as far as the hotel is concerned, there are tons of hotels near the airport but one in the terminal itself....check out the niranta airport hotel....this way you won't have to leave the airport....
CharlotteC is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread