How to fix erring name spelling on AI?

Old Oct 4, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
How to fix erring name spelling on AI?

My name spelling includes scandinavian character ”ä” which, in situations like with AirIndia now, translates into ”ae” or some other situations just ”a”.
So now I tried to add my non-AI FFP to a booking but the AI App says ”name does not match” and disallows me to add FFP. This is freaking frustrating and I expect then they do the same at airport and deny me all lounge etc benefits, but more worrisome is that they deny me boarding on the same cause that my name does not match. What gives? Should I call AI to fix or should go to my homeland residency and apply for a name change completely? So ridiculous these ”computer says no”. I do hope the agents at airport do not argue about spelling and deny me boarding is one thing, but given the experience from TK for example with similar issue, another thing I am 100% sure they tell me ”sorry I cannot attach your FFP to this booking, my computer doesnt allow to do it”
Old Oct 5, 19, 5:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It is impossible to say what the check-in agent of any airlines will do in such circumstances although I would suspect it’s extremely unlikely that they would deny you boarding because of this.

Also, it is my experience that the check-in agents have some way of overriding the “name doesn’t match” issue. I’ve had problems with the way I write my name and the way some FFPs force me to write my name in their systems. So on certain airlines I can never enter my FFP during ticketing because of the name issue. However I’ve never had a problem with the check-in agents being able to override this and add my FFP# quite easily. However YMMV.

Changing your name seems like fairly extreme step. I’m guessing changing your name in your FFP won’t be possible unless you change your name... so I don’t know what the solution to your problem is.... maybe just stick with “a” and hope for the override during check-in?
Old Oct 5, 19, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Normally the name has to be entered as recorded in the passport data line. The *A status is not matched with first name, they just look for the last name. You are overthinking this. You will have no problem at the airport.
Old Oct 5, 19, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you won't have a problem....my passport & my frequent flyer account have my middle name but very often my clients end up booking my tickets without the middle name....i have never been denied boarding nor have been refused frequent flyer benefits....
Old Oct 5, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Normally the name has to be entered as recorded in the passport data line. The *A status is not matched with first name, they just look for the last name. You are overthinking this. You will have no problem at the airport.

Yeah... which is why I find the behaviour of TK extra very strange.
Old Oct 6, 19, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

Based on my experience with Turkish airlines, however, I am not overthinking this but They are.

The bitter thing is that I just completed my web checkin with AI and neither App nor paper boarding pass show my FFP, the field is blank. And there is no way of re-entering the info.

I hate to go the checkin counter just to figure out this. I do want to guarantee my *G is there so that I can enjoy the benefits (eventually any op-upgrades too)
Old Oct 6, 19, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The checkin agent will enter your FFP number again and give you a lounge pass. Op-up on AI go to friends and family. *G in Y plays a rather minor role.
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

The checkin agent will enter your FFP number again and give you a lounge pass. Op-up on AI go to friends and family. *G in Y plays a rather minor role.
Interestingly, the outstation could overwrite=change my name to match TK card with a help of a senior agent at checkin, but in India they could not do it even if they tried by calling manager etc so I was left without stargold BP, although they trusted my card and gave me lounge pass. ”Old system” they said to have

Search this Thread