Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Connecting from AI to UA (2 tickets) - will AI accept luggage for checking through?

Connecting from AI to UA (2 tickets) - will AI accept luggage for checking through?

Old Sep 27, 19, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Booked two tickets, a domestic leg to Delhi on Air India with a five hour connection followed by a separate ticket with an international leg on United. Can AI check my luggage all the way through to my UA destination or will I have to pick up the bag in Delhi and recheck it in with United?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
Booked two tickets, a domestic leg to Delhi on Air India with a five hour connection followed by a separate ticket with an international leg on United. Can AI check my luggage all the way through to my UA destination or will I have to pick up the bag in Delhi and recheck it in with United?

Thanks!
This is a question for the AI forum. UA will accept the luggage if AI checks it through to them, but they don't have any say in whether or not that happens.
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:49 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the India-based airlines Forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United,
Old Sep 27, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
I cannot answer to this particular situation, BUT, AI was NOT able to tag my bags through to my final destination when I was on two separate pure AI itineraries (operated by AI, tickets purchased through AI on an AI 098-stock)on a domestic-domestic itinerary. Apparently they don't have the system for that: in other words: we are too lazy to be bothered to even look at it. And this was at a major airport like BOM.
Old Sep 27, 19, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what is the origination of your domestic leg????

technically ai can do it & i have managed to get them to do it in the past but a lot depends where you are flying out from....the typical response from an ai agent at one of the smaller airports is that they cannot do it....if you push & request for a manager to get involved then it can be done....
Old Sep 27, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
They certainly can do this. I've interlined several times in the past with AI to AI, AI to *G, AI to other AI interline partners.

The only issue you could face is the competence of staff at a small airport. Since you haven't mentioned where you're coming in from. Even at a smaller airport, senior staff would be able to interline so ask firmly at check-in. Of course with a 5 hour layover you have plenty of time to recheck your baggage, balance your cheque book etc. before you can collect your BP from UA about 3-4 hours before departure.

You will not be allowed into the departure hall area of the airport till 4 hours prior to scheduled departure. Also you will not be able to do a eBP for UA - it will have to be a paper BP you collect from the UA check-in counter.
Old Sep 27, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for the very helpful replies!! I'll report back on what happens.
Old Sep 30, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
what is the origination of your domestic leg????

technically ai can do it & i have managed to get them to do it in the past but a lot depends where you are flying out from....the typical response from an ai agent at one of the smaller airports is that they cannot do it....if you push & request for a manager to get involved then it can be done....
I was originating at BOM, and checking in at the F-class counters. I was surprised at their response, especially since this was BOM.
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Earlier this year (March) in DEL I asked politely and they interlined my bags to LH in FRA on separate tickets. The agent even collected my Lufthansa FRA-MUC online print at home BP s and after a few minutes of hectic typing reprinted them on AI stock, complete with 'TSA Pre'

Earlier this month when I asked in CCU to interline to LH in DEL the agent took all my details and after some typing and looking up I got the 'sorry sir you have two separate ticket we are not allowed to this because of x y z excuses' speech. Its a big YMMV situation.
Old Sep 30, 19, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
I was originating at BOM, and checking in at the F-class counters. I was surprised at their response, especially since this was BOM.
i've managed to get my bags interlined in bom a few times....you just have to push a little if they initially refuse....
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

they did interline the bags. thanks all!
Keyser and PiperAtGatesofDawn like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
they did interline the bags. thanks all!
glad it all worked out....did they do it easily or did you have to push a little????

Search this Thread