Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Checked bag allowance for Star Gold

Old Sep 24, 19, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Folks - I am a bit confused about my checked bag allowance on a Domestic flight within India as Star Gold (UA) on economy. Air India site is a bit confusing as it states the following

1) Baggage allowance for economy is 25 KG - 1 bag
2) Gold Member of Star Alliance would continue to be permitted an additional 20Kgs of baggage allowance in Economy Class
3) The maximum weight permissible for a single piece of baggage is 32 kgs

So going by 1 and 2 - I should be able to take 45 KG but then rule 3 will cut it to 32 KG. Am I allowed to take 2 bags then totalling 45 ?

Thanks !

Last edited by rajchat1265; Sep 24, 19 at 9:25 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 24, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
There is no limit on the number of pieces of luggage you check-in. So you could check in 20 bags.

Max weight for Y pax bags would still remain 25 kgs.

32 kgs is the max weight of the bags permitted to check-in after which it would be considered to be cargo. So don’t worry about that statement.

You’ll be allowed 45 kgs. But make sure that each bag weights 25kgs or less.
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Earlier this month I had a DEL-CCU vv cheapo domestic Y ticket which stated 25 KG in the ticket. In DEL they checked in my 31 KG bag without comment, in CCU the agent started her "you only have 25 KG allowance but your bag weighs 27KG" speech, which I interrupted saying, "but I'm *G". The agent asked the other agent beside her "hey do LH*G also get 40 KG?" to which the other agent said "of course, any *G gets the same treatment!!".

The rules for domestic are:
  • Gold Member of Star Alliance would continue to be permitted an additional 20Kgs of baggage allowance in Economy Class
  • [...]
  • The maximum weight permissible for a single piece of baggage is 32 kgs. This rule is applicable on the entire Air India network.
Checked Baggage Allowances - Air India
Old Sep 25, 19, 1:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I've had AI interpret the luggage rules in different ways. To avoid harassment by clueless and untrained staff I'd limit my bags to 25kgs unless I was marginally over.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I've had AI interpret the luggage rules in different ways. To avoid harassment by clueless and untrained staff I'd limit my bags to 25kgs unless I was marginally over.
same here....when traveling for work, i often have 2-3 bags full of files....i just make sure none of them weigh over 25kg per bag....
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Many thanks guys. I will make sure I distribute the weight in two bags, each less than 25 KG and totalling less than 45 KG.

Search this Thread