Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transiting in India on AI , is customs/immigration check done at final destination ?

Transiting in India on AI , is customs/immigration check done at final destination ?

Old Sep 22, 19, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Smile Transiting in India on AI , is customs/immigration check done at final destination ?

I m flying from YYZ-COK on AI J in December 2019. Its been 20 years since I last flew AI.

YYZ-DEL (AI188) and DEL to COK (AI48)

Once I land at Delhi, do I clear customs/immigration in Delhi or do I fly to Kochi and then clear customs/immigration ?

I did see this link Transit Information . Can someone please confirm .

If customs is to be cleared in Delhi, will I be allowed to take my duty free purchases from the Delhi duty free ( we are a party of 5, will have 10 bottles of liquor) as carry on onto the domestic flight to COK ?

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI 48 is an international flight, so in DEL you will go thru transit security and directly board your flight to COK. Once in COK your will collect your bags and enter India. The transit security will allow you to keep your duty free goods. You probably cannot purchase anything in Delhi DF as you don't have an international flight, but worth a try. COK will also have DF on arrival near the baggage claim before customs.
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You should be able to buy in DEL as a transiting international passenger. Confirm with the Duty Free folks before you purchase though.

Also, I don't remember well but I didn't see any duty free shops in COK for arrivals - but someone else might be able to confirm this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Cochin Duty Free

We have two state-of-the-art shops at the airport; one at the arrival area and the other at departure security hold area.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The transit security will allow you to keep your duty free goods. You probably cannot purchase anything in Delhi DF as you don't have an international flight, COK will also have DF on arrival near the baggage claim before customs.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
You should be able to buy in DEL as a transiting international passenger. Confirm with the Duty Free folks before you purchase though.
Thanks oliver2002 and PiperAtGatesofDawn.

I was planning to make my purchases from the Delhi duty free, which I assume is after transit security. Duty free will ask for my boarding pass, I plan to show the boarding pass from YYZ-Delhi, this one , as per Air India website has a "T" printed on it, which means transit passenger. Domestic boarding passes should have "D"

I have sent an email to the customer service at Delhi duty free, waiting for a reply.

Buying after arrival in COK, since I arrived from Delhi, I am not sure if they will accept my YYZ-DEL transit boarding pass.

I usually fly EK J to COK. Thought of trying out AI this time.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
correct....if you have not cleared immigration then duty free purchases are allowed....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Toronto1 View Post
Thanks oliver2002 and PiperAtGatesofDawn.

I was planning to make my purchases from the Delhi duty free, which I assume is after transit security. Duty free will ask for my boarding pass, I plan to show the boarding pass from YYZ-Delhi, this one , as per Air India website has a "T" printed on it, which means transit passenger. Domestic boarding passes should have "D"

I have sent an email to the customer service at Delhi duty free, waiting for a reply.

Buying after arrival in COK, since I arrived from Delhi, I am not sure if they will accept my YYZ-DEL transit boarding pass.

I usually fly EK J to COK. Thought of trying out AI this time.
They will accept your YYZ-DEL BP. So keep that handy. Don't worry about the D's & T's and what nots. I'd buy at DEL because I'd get better choices there.

Also while I've only flown to COK a couple of times I've really not seen a duty free there. So it must be really hidden really well or I've just completely missed it. I do remember something being there before picking up luggage, but not before immigration.
Old Sep 24, 19, 6:45 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
COK does have a duty free shop. I have no idea about how well it is stocked, but you have a choice.

Old Sep 24, 19, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

COK has a pretty big duty free shop which is well stocked, probably not well as the one in DEL.

Since I m transiting in DEL ( first time ever), did not know how customs and duty free purchases work.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
AI 48 is an international flight, so in DEL you will go thru transit security and directly board your flight to COK. Once in COK your will collect your bags and enter India. The transit security will allow you to keep your duty free goods. You probably cannot purchase anything in Delhi DF as you don't have an international flight, but worth a try. COK will also have DF on arrival near the baggage claim before customs.
OP is fortunate enough to get this information here on the forum. AI staff in Toronto will not give this information to passengers
resulting in many COK passengers exiting immigration at Delhi to wait for their luggage which will never arrive :-( Usually
there is AI staff yelling about this information in Delhi but it is very easy to miss this in a jetlagged state of mind.
Easy way to fix this is to make first arrival airport in India as your immigration/custom processing port. Easy to
remember ! My $.02.

Search this Thread