Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India FNU name issue and other passenger name topics [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Hi im travelling from delhi to amritsir with air india with 3 other passengers. I accendently spelt one of the passengers name wrong, i spelt pritbha instead of pritbha. would this be a problem wit air india or will it be fine.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by raj123
i spelt pritbha
instead of pritbha
They are the same.

A letter or two out of place on the first name is generally ok, but it may be worth confirming this with Air India or having the name changed if possible.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:10 am
Original Poster

whoops :O i meant i spelt pritbha instead of prtibha
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just inform them before hand that a small spelling mistake was made when purchasing the ticket....they will put a note in your reservation & you shouldn't have a problem....
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Once I misspelt my brothers name as Robot (bloody autocorrect on phones) on an AI flight... He was denied to enter the airport and had to get it corrected at the airport counter before he could enter.. so I guess you should not have a problem..
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
whoops :O i meant i spelt pritbha instead of prtibha
It would be fine, most probably. I doubt that that the security guards will even notice that. The airlines can deal with it either way, by noting the record or with nothing done. A one-letter transposition like that above is really not the end of the world.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It would be fine, most probably. I doubt that that the security guards will even notice that. The airlines can deal with it either way, by noting the record or with nothing done. A one-letter transposition like that above is really not the end of the world.
It may be fine, but either of the following may occur:
The airport security may reject the passenger from entry if the names do not match exactly.
The airline may not allow the passenger to travel if the name does not match.

Either of the above would require a name change on the ticket, the airline may do this for free at the airport, they may charge a large change fee, or may require a new ticket is purchased.

Personally, I would try to have the name changed now rather than worry about it.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nux
It may be fine, but either of the following may occur:
The airport security may reject the passenger from entry if the names do not match exactly.
The airline may not allow the passenger to travel if the name does not match.

Either of the above would require a name change on the ticket, the airline may do this for free at the airport, they may charge a large change fee, or may require a new ticket is purchased.

Personally, I would try to have the name changed now rather than worry about it.
As in many things in life, YMMV, even as it is probably likely to be fine.

Under the IATA rules applicable to Air India, a single-letter transposition should not be a problem.

Airport security may also reject passengers from entry because the names do "match exactly". The irony when that happens -- and it does happen sometimes, including as a result of people trying to "fix" the "name".

I have traveled many dozens of times within India -- and many more times than that out of India -- in recent years without an "exact match" in some form or another and had no problem. YMMV.

Airport security noting the OP's single-letter transposition? Low, but possible. Airport security making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible. Airline making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't do anything beyond call the airline, if even that.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
As in many things in life, YMMV, even as it is probably likely to be fine.

Airport security noting the OP's single-letter transposition? Low, but possible. Airport security making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible. Airline making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't do anything beyond call the airline, if even that.
Agree fully it is a very low chance it will even be noticed, but I would hate to be in that position if I could have clarified/changed it easily in advance.

I had to look at the first post a few times to confirm there was no difference, thought I was missing something at first. It is quite hard to spot a single transposition.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
I've had this happen to me before, but not with air india. The agent at check-in was able to print up a bp with the correct name despite the wrong name on reservation. So, it's definitely possible to change it, but when dealing with AI ground agents who knows what they will say.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Hi thanks for the help, and i dont think ill have to see a guard because im already at the airport because im coming from international singapore airlines and then ill move the domestic section of terminal 3
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi thanks for the help, and i dont think ill have to see a guard because im already at the airport because im coming from international singapore airlines and then ill move the domestic section of terminal 3
Yes you will, you will need to collect your bags and check in for the domestic flight, and then go through security.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
My wife, just after marriage, had her IDs changed to the new surname. Her company's travel desk booked her BLR-BOM on 9W in her maiden name. She arrived at airport with no ID in her maiden name except for a bank debit card that has her photo on her. She explained to security about the confusion and was allowed through!!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by galaticos
My wife, just after marriage, had her IDs changed to the new surname. Her company's travel desk booked her BLR-BOM on 9W in her maiden name. She arrived at airport with no ID in her maiden name except for a bank debit card that has her photo on her. She explained to security about the confusion and was allowed through!!
bank debit/credit cards with a photograph on it is considered a valid id....
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:22 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
bank debit/credit cards with a photograph on it is considered a valid id....
In which countries? Not all will accept it as id, especially if it is a foreign issued card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.