Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India: Producing credit card at check in

Old Aug 15, 19, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have travel coming up shortly on Air India which I booked in February. The credit card I used expired and has been replaced by the card provider. Per normal instructions from the credit card company I destroyed the old card.

I now note from the terms and conditions on the Air India ticket that I need to show the credit card I used to purchase the ticket. Presumably there will be some degree of tolerance based on the fact that the card is now expired. I can show the 'new' card, but of course the card number differs from the one used to make the purchase. Does anyone have any advice or previous experience?

If it matters, it's domestic travel from Udaipur to Delhi.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Generally they don’t ask for the CC but they’re more likely to ask for tickets bought on foreign CCs. There was a spate of frauds that prompted this.

I would assume they’ll have access to your cc # & expiry date which will prove your case. Also, I assume the CC is in your name.

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble at all.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its extremely rare that they would ask for the credit card....

if you want to play it safe then just ask your credit card provider to send you an email stating that the old card ending in xxxx has been replaced by the new card ending in xxxx....they should be able to provide that to you....

but like i said before, its extremely unlikely that you would need to show your card....
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:30 am

Usually when a credit card is renewed, the number doesn't change. Only the CVV2 code changes along with the expiry date.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Generally they donít ask for the CC but theyíre more likely to ask for tickets bought on foreign CCs. There was a spate of frauds that prompted this.

I would assume theyíll have access to your cc # & expiry date which will prove your case. Also, I assume the CC is in your name.

I donít think youíll have any trouble at all.
PiperAtGatesofDawn, thank you, thatís reassuring! The credit card is in the name of my partner who is also one of the passengers travelling.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
its extremely rare that they would ask for the credit card....

if you want to play it safe then just ask your credit card provider to send you an email stating that the old card ending in xxxx has been replaced by the new card ending in xxxx....they should be able to provide that to you....

but like i said before, its extremely unlikely that you would need to show your card....
Keyser, thank you. That hadnít occurred to me but Iíll do exactly that, just in case.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
Usually when a credit card is renewed, the number doesn't change. Only the CVV2 code changes along with the expiry date.
678flyer, thank you. In this case, the first 12 digits havenít changed, but the final 4 digits are different. Thank you for your reply though.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tom London View Post

678flyer, thank you. In this case, the first 12 digits havenít changed, but the final 4 digits are different. Thank you for your reply though.
this is correct. Never received cc with same number when canceled or replaced...
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
Originally Posted by Tom London View Post

Originally Posted by flyalways View Post
this is correct. Never received cc with same number when canceled or replaced...

HDFC DCB replacement always comes with same card number (if I order before expiry, coz of damaged card, I get the same expiry on new card)

Citi prestige on the other hand always gives me a card with new number and new expiry date (the magnetic strips die far before 3 years so not sure if the replacement for expired card also has new number or not)
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is unlikely, it is not unheard of and largely occurs when you trip AI's outside vendor's fraud detection software warnings. Largely focused on tickets purchased with cards issued in high fraud areas.

Rather than making this difficult, call AI and ask what would be required if the demand were to be made.

For what it is worth, merchant vendors, AI in this case, have the ready capacity to verify with a card issuer (bank) that a given card number relates to a given account. Thus, even if the card number has changed, this verification is not hard. But, it takes manual intervention and is thus something to be avoided at the airport.

Search this Thread