Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

No last name in passport / Air India + United

No last name in passport / Air India + United

Old Jul 25, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Question No last name in passport / Air India + United

Hello,

I am due to travel to the US via AI. My passport has ABC as given name . No Surname/Last name is listed. The Visa is issued using ABC as last name and FNU as given name. The flight will be AI/United Combo. United wants it to be Mr FNU ABC (Same as visa basically). AI site says book it as Mr. ABC ABC. Any idea how to go about it?
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No worries. You can enter the name as requested by AI, and later add the APIS info (at United.com) like on the visa.
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my sister-in-law has a similar problem....there is no last name on her passport but all her visas have her last name....she books all tickets using her full name & has never had a problem....

if ai is asking you to book a particular way then go ahead & do that....
Old Jul 26, 19, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 82AS123 View Post
Hello,

I am due to travel to the US via AI. My passport has ABC as given name . No Surname/Last name is listed. The Visa is issued using ABC as last name and FNU as given name. The flight will be AI/United Combo. United wants it to be Mr FNU ABC (Same as visa basically). AI site says book it as Mr. ABC ABC. Any idea how to go about it?
I've seen it work out just fine both ways, but I would do it the same as the visa using FNU unless the airline on which you are initially traveling tells you to do it some other way -- and then I would do it with the way the initial operating airline on the itinerary wants it done.
Old Jul 26, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yeah agree with others here.

USA/UK doesn't use LNU hence the complications.

Separately OP, are you just visiting or going for a longer term? If it's for a longer term it's best to get the passport corrected because DMV, SSN, banks and who have you will not (care to) understand what a FNU is and give you plenty of grief when you're applying for basic services.
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: United
For short term travel, it should not be a problem.

Search this Thread