FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Air India FNU name issue and other passenger name topics [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1849396-air-india-fnu-name-issue-other-passenger-name-topics-merged.html)

raj123 Oct 9, 2013 12:44 am

Air India FNU name issue and other passenger name topics [merged]

Hi im travelling from delhi to amritsir with air india with 3 other passengers. I accendently spelt one of the passengers name wrong, i spelt pritbha instead of pritbha. would this be a problem wit air india or will it be fine.

nux Oct 9, 2013 1:34 am

Originally Posted by raj123 (Post 21577808)
i spelt pritbha
instead of pritbha

:confused: They are the same.

A letter or two out of place on the first name is generally ok, but it may be worth confirming this with Air India or having the name changed if possible.

raj123 Oct 9, 2013 3:10 am

whoops :O i meant i spelt pritbha instead of prtibha

Keyser Oct 9, 2013 4:44 am

just inform them before hand that a small spelling mistake was made when purchasing the ticket....they will put a note in your reservation & you shouldn't have a problem....

CCU_Flyer Oct 9, 2013 5:57 am

Once I misspelt my brothers name as Robot (bloody autocorrect on phones) on an AI flight... He was denied to enter the airport and had to get it corrected at the airport counter before he could enter.. so I guess you should not have a problem..

GUWonder Oct 9, 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by raj123 (Post 21578137)
whoops :O i meant i spelt pritbha instead of prtibha

It would be fine, most probably. I doubt that that the security guards will even notice that. The airlines can deal with it either way, by noting the record or with nothing done. A one-letter transposition like that above is really not the end of the world.

nux Oct 9, 2013 6:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 21578566)
It would be fine, most probably. I doubt that that the security guards will even notice that. The airlines can deal with it either way, by noting the record or with nothing done. A one-letter transposition like that above is really not the end of the world.

It may be fine, but either of the following may occur:
The airport security may reject the passenger from entry if the names do not match exactly.
The airline may not allow the passenger to travel if the name does not match.

Either of the above would require a name change on the ticket, the airline may do this for free at the airport, they may charge a large change fee, or may require a new ticket is purchased.

Personally, I would try to have the name changed now rather than worry about it.

GUWonder Oct 9, 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21578586)
It may be fine, but either of the following may occur:
The airport security may reject the passenger from entry if the names do not match exactly.
The airline may not allow the passenger to travel if the name does not match.

Either of the above would require a name change on the ticket, the airline may do this for free at the airport, they may charge a large change fee, or may require a new ticket is purchased.

Personally, I would try to have the name changed now rather than worry about it.

As in many things in life, YMMV, even as it is probably likely to be fine.

Under the IATA rules applicable to Air India, a single-letter transposition should not be a problem.

Airport security may also reject passengers from entry because the names do "match exactly". The irony when that happens -- and it does happen sometimes, including as a result of people trying to "fix" the "name".

I have traveled many dozens of times within India -- and many more times than that out of India -- in recent years without an "exact match" in some form or another and had no problem. YMMV.

Airport security noting the OP's single-letter transposition? Low, but possible. Airport security making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible. Airline making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't do anything beyond call the airline, if even that.

nux Oct 9, 2013 6:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 21578620)
As in many things in life, YMMV, even as it is probably likely to be fine.

Airport security noting the OP's single-letter transposition? Low, but possible. Airport security making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible. Airline making a fuss over the same? Low, but possible.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't do anything beyond call the airline, if even that.

Agree fully it is a very low chance it will even be noticed, but I would hate to be in that position if I could have clarified/changed it easily in advance.

I had to look at the first post a few times to confirm there was no difference, thought I was missing something at first. It is quite hard to spot a single transposition.

Mr. Bean Oct 9, 2013 11:39 pm

I've had this happen to me before, but not with air india. The agent at check-in was able to print up a bp with the correct name despite the wrong name on reservation. So, it's definitely possible to change it, but when dealing with AI ground agents who knows what they will say.

raj123 Oct 12, 2013 4:19 am

Hi thanks for the help, and i dont think ill have to see a guard because im already at the airport because im coming from international singapore airlines and then ill move the domestic section of terminal 3

nux Oct 12, 2013 4:29 am

Originally Posted by raj123 (Post 21594979)
Hi thanks for the help, and i dont think ill have to see a guard because im already at the airport because im coming from international singapore airlines and then ill move the domestic section of terminal 3

Yes you will, you will need to collect your bags and check in for the domestic flight, and then go through security.

galaticos Oct 15, 2013 5:33 am

My wife, just after marriage, had her IDs changed to the new surname. Her company's travel desk booked her BLR-BOM on 9W in her maiden name. She arrived at airport with no ID in her maiden name except for a bank debit card that has her photo on her. She explained to security about the confusion and was allowed through!!

Keyser Oct 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos (Post 21609665)
My wife, just after marriage, had her IDs changed to the new surname. Her company's travel desk booked her BLR-BOM on 9W in her maiden name. She arrived at airport with no ID in her maiden name except for a bank debit card that has her photo on her. She explained to security about the confusion and was allowed through!!

bank debit/credit cards with a photograph on it is considered a valid id....

nux Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 21611938)
bank debit/credit cards with a photograph on it is considered a valid id....

In which countries? Not all will accept it as id, especially if it is a foreign issued card.