FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   AI Regional Director / Commander caught stealing in Sydney (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1975980-ai-regional-director-commander-caught-stealing-sydney.html)

puchong Jun 28, 2019 8:43 am

AI Regional Director / Commander caught stealing in Sydney

Unfortunately, AI is in the news yet again.

Indian pilots beating one another in the cockpit while flying from Europe to India, Indian pilots falling asleep in the cockpit while over Turkey, Indian pilots caught stealing ... will these stories never stop?

Keyser Jun 30, 2019 9:42 am

its a personal incident that has nothing to do with the airline....unfortunately, the company often gets blamed for deeds done by their employees....

MSPeconomist Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am

I guess his job normally precludes other employment, but how can the employer tell a suspended (without pay) employee with no assignments that he cannot leave the area, providing that he makes himself available for any required ongoing training or meetings with management?

MSPeconomist Jun 30, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 31254929)
its a personal incident that has nothing to do with the airline....unfortunately, the company often gets blamed for deeds done by their employees....

It's not personal if he did it in uniform or while on duty. He's a representative of the company in such situations. His (in)action probably caused a longhaul flight to be cancelled, which is very expensive for the carrier.

Keyser Jun 30, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31254965)
It's not personal if he did it in uniform or while on duty. He's a representative of the company in such situations. His (in)action probably caused a longhaul flight to be cancelled, which is very expensive for the carrier.

my point is that ai gets blamed for a lot of things (most of them justified) but this incident is no fault of the airline....

MSPeconomist Jun 30, 2019 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 31255093)
my point is that ai gets blamed for a lot of things (most of them justified) but this incident is no fault of the airline....

Of course it's not the fault of his employer, but the suspension itself doesn't seem inappropriate even if some of the terms are. OTOH we could take the innocent until proven guilty stance here (which the airline seems to be doing somewhat in that he's not fired (yet)).

thebakaronis Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm

The interesting thing is that his father, his wife, his son and daughter are all pilots. Why he would shoplift such a small item is baffling.

Cris L Jun 30, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm not defending the man at all, but I've been in a situation where I was under a great deal of stress and inadvertently did something similar.

Went into a shop to buy some lunch, and walked out without paying. Ate the sandwich right outside, went off to an interview, realised what I had done in the middle of the interview.

Of course I went back and apologised and explained to the store manager. Very very embarrassing situation.

nancypants Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Captain Bhasin denies allegations:

In an interview with The Telegraph, Captain Bhasin has refuted the allegations, calling the incident a ‘misunderstanding’.

He told the newspaper that he had handed over both the jacket and the said wallet to the woman at the counter, but he failed to notice that he had not been billed for one of the items.

Mr Bhasin added that he was ‘overwhelmed with joy’ at the time, as he had just received a call from his wife informing him that he had become a grandfather, reported The Telegraph.

yeah reading the article i’m not ready to hang him just yet. I’ve done this multiple times, especially in Australia (have usually spotted before i’ve left the store but on one occasion I was sleep deprived and absent minded and didn’t realise until several hours later, went back and paid)

ordinarily i’d say I get away with things more easily due to my ethnic background, although Mr Pants regularly reminds me that wearing a pilot’s uniform puts you above suspicion for a lot of things so I suspect that aspect isn’t relevant here

it’s not really mentioned but given he was buying a wallet and jacket i’m assuming this was a higher end clothing store at SYD?

Anish Jun 30, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31256318)
it’s not really mentioned but given he was buying a wallet and jacket i’m assuming this was a higher end clothing store at SYD?

This was at Tumi.

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 1, 2019 3:55 am

This story is only making headlines because AI is “involved”.

I’ve accidentally walked out of stores with items that weren’t billed and I’ve walked out of stores without an item even after paying for it. Neither I nor the cashier lost their jobs for that.

What the Capt. said is quite easily verifiable by security tapes these days. If he did shoplift he should be punished accordingly. Either ways I don’t see why AI gets involved in this other than to sensationalize the story.

oliver2002 Jul 1, 2019 5:10 am

Well, I'm sure he was charged and intercepted in Australia after someone noticed the theft and alerted the authorities. Since this is Australia I'm pretty certain the tapes or any other evidence was reviewed. The employer probably noticed because they had to cancel/delay the flight because one crew member was stuck in SYD? I'm sure every airline has regulations in place that deal with employees caught stealing while in company uniform on duty. Pilots duty commences the moment they show up at the airport.

nancypants Jul 1, 2019 6:12 am

Interestingly I can’t find any article saying he was arrested, charged or even spoken to by the police in Australia. He seems to have been allowed to leave the country which would suggest the authorities here are not all that worried about him

however I did find this little nugget, admittedly in a Russia today article

Bhasin, an officer rostered for the flag carrier’s flight from Sydney to India, was spotted by a fellow pilot, who reported the alleged wrongdoing to his superiors.
https://www.rt.com/news/462514-airin...ifting-sydney/

is it possible an, ahem, overzealous coworker has overreacted to an incident that had already been resolved amicably without police complaint?

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 1, 2019 6:44 am

https://www.telegraphindia.com/india...im/cid/1693064

No one was charged, arrested or indicted... I’m not sure if the flight was even delayed. Also the response time for the cops was probably too quick to first sit around and review tapes and then act on it.

It was the station manager’s report & the pilot’s own report that would have triggered all this.

oliver2002 Jul 1, 2019 7:03 am

This makes it sound like the AI airport manager is some inferior being:

When I was at the cockpit, a call came from our airport manager in Sydney, saying a policeman was waiting and I had taken a card case.“I immediately told the airport manager to come and get the card case. After I handed it over, the policeman spoke to me over the phone. I told him it was a mistake. The cop said he did not want to delay the flight and the next time I was in Sydney they would talk to me and sort it out.“I informed my chairman-cum-managing director. But after landing in Delhi, I found that I had been suspended. I have been victimised. The airline has suspended me based on the airport manager’s report. I have been working with Air India for 35 years without a spot on my record.”