Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Need urgent baggage advice for domestic AI flight

Old May 28, 19, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from the US on BA to DEL, and then have a flight on Air India's Alliance Air to Kullu. I just looked more closely at the ticket and saw I have only a 15kg checked baggage allowance. Yikes. I'll be carrying about 40-45kg of luggage, so at $15 per extra kg could end up paying a hefty $450 more. Does any one have any advice for me, aside from paring down? The Alliance website says I get 20kg in economy, but the ticket says 15kg. Not sure which they would honor, but that is $75 right there. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 28, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
If these are on the same ticket, you will get the international allowance. If you bought separate tickets, you have made a rookie mistake. The allowance stated on the booking is likely to be what you will get, not what it says on websites.

Not sure where you got $15/kg though. The rate is Rs 500/kg +5% GST, which adds up to half of what you said, although still quite a lot.
Old May 28, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
If you don't need to carry all your baggage to Kullu, you can leave some of it behind at DEL - https://www.newdelhiairport.in/left-luggage.aspx
Old May 29, 19, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
alliance air will only give you 15kg....they don't even give extra baggage allowance to flying returns maharajah or star gold members....
Old May 29, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I've canceled the flight and got most of the money back, to my surprise. Will take a taxi!!

Search this Thread