Etihad Fuel Surchages & Taxes

Old May 19, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Etihad Fuel Surchages & Taxes

I am trying to book an award ticket on Etihad in Business Class on DEL-LHR sector. The quote I have received for an award ticket has Rs. 27k as Fuel Surcharge (YQ & YR) and Rs. 24k as 'K38 Tax'. Therefore, the total amount I am looking at paying in taxes and surcharges is a whopping Rs. 51k. This seems too much, because I booked a First Class Apartment award ticket last year in November on the same sector, and all I paid in taxes and surcharges were Rs. 20k (K38 component at that time was just Rs. 2k)

Therefore, please can someone help me understand:
  • What is this K38 tax?
  • And why has Etihad increased this K38 tax component from Rs. 2k to Rs. 24k?
Thanks.
Old May 19, 19, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
booked del-lhr using ey miles earlier this month....i was charged around 27k in taxes....what dates are you looking for????
Old May 19, 19, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
booked del-lhr using ey miles earlier this month....i was charged around 27k in taxes....what dates are you looking for????
Thanks for replying. I am looking to fly in March 2020, and I am trying to book JP Miles. I fail to understand how JP is quoting a tax which is almost double of what EY Guest is charging their members. This looks like some kind of ploy!
Old May 19, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Price it out on ITA Matrix. You'll get the correct taxes required over there.
Old May 19, 19, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333 View Post
Thanks for replying. I am looking to fly in March 2020, and I am trying to book JP Miles. I fail to understand how JP is quoting a tax which is almost double of what EY Guest is charging their members. This looks like some kind of ploy!
jp has done this for longer than i can remember....

i remember once they quoted me taxes that were almost the same as a revenue ticket....
Old May 19, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: 9W Platinum, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
JP is still offering award redemptions on EY?
Old May 19, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Also there is a K3 tax in India which is GST. I don’t think there is a K38 tax.
Old May 19, 19, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333 View Post
I am trying to book an award ticket on Etihad in Business Class on DEL-LHR sector. The quote I have received for an award ticket has Rs. 27k as Fuel Surcharge (YQ & YR) and Rs. 24k as 'K38 Tax'. Therefore, the total amount I am looking at paying in taxes and surcharges is a whopping Rs. 51k. This seems too much, because I booked a First Class Apartment award ticket last year in November on the same sector, and all I paid in taxes and surcharges were Rs. 20k (K38 component at that time was just Rs. 2k)

Therefore, please can someone help me understand:
  • What is this K38 tax?
  • And why has Etihad increased this K38 tax component from Rs. 2k to Rs. 24k?
Thanks.
It's GST which they are adding to the ticket. You'll need to tell them to remove that component since it's a miles ticket and not a revenue one. BA usually does this all the time on redemptions ex-India!
Old May 20, 19, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_gtgo View Post
It's GST which they are adding to the ticket. You'll need to tell them to remove that component since it's a miles ticket and not a revenue one. BA usually does this all the time on redemptions ex-India!
Oh yes, I remember reading it somewhere. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg333; May 23, 19 at 8:29 am