Wiki Posts
Search

Seat 7A - 787-9 IAD TO AUH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Seat 7A - 787-9 IAD TO AUH

What are your thoughts on getting this seat? I dont want rear-facing seat, I also would like to be right by the window - the reason I am looking at the larger cabin than the smaller - when we were returning from AUH to IAD last July, and were in the smaller cabin - this person there had STRONG body odor, and because the cabin was small - the smell was everywhere. We were lucky to be able to move to the larger section and business class was quite empty.

Seat Guru gives it a yellow rating - saying it is too close to the galley and lavatory and might get some noise.

Thank you for your thoughts,

D
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:33 pm

I'm not sure why you are opposed to a rear facing seat. Have you ever tried one? I've had them several times over the years and other than a few seconds during landing and takeoff they don't seem any different to me.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:36 am

I had 7A on the Dreamliner out of IAD last week and thought it was the best seat in the cabin. It's the first row in the larger cabin but I didn't experience any problems due to proximity to galley or lavs. There's a bulkhead and the new EY seats are even more self contained than the old seats, so that is a complete non-issue. Had 11A on my connecting flight, also on a Dreamliner, & didn't like it as well, although it's also forward facing and on the window. 11A is the last row, and I didn't like the delay in service of the meal, also when the crew walked down the aisle they always seemed to get flagged down by other pax further up in the cabin to take care of their needs before they made it as far back as row 11. I would be very happy to have 7A anytime.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:40 am

And the forward facing seats are better than the rear faxing, in my opinion, because you've got the side table separating the seat from the aisle, making it more private and less likely you'll get bumped by pax or crew walking down the aisle.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConcordeOrphan
I had 7A on the Dreamliner out of IAD last week and thought it was the best seat in the cabin. It's the first row in the larger cabin but I didn't experience any problems due to proximity to galley or lavs. There's a bulkhead and the new EY seats are even more self contained than the old seats, so that is a complete non-issue. Had 11A on my connecting flight, also on a Dreamliner, & didn't like it as well, although it's also forward facing and on the window. 11A is the last row, and I didn't like the delay in service of the meal, also when the crew walked down the aisle they always seemed to get flagged down by other pax further up in the cabin to take care of their needs before they made it as far back as row 11. I would be very happy to have 7A anytime.
Thank you so much for the confirmation. Appreciate it!
Old May 10, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Any thoughts on choosing between 6K or 7K? Generally I would think a mini cabin is a better choice, but would be happy to hear first hand opinion of others.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

I had chosen the mini-cabin on the way out to AUH and liked it because it only had like 10 seats in there. On the way back, had the same seats booked - and then, someone with severe BO boarded - and he was seated a couple of seats away, but the mini-cabin was then pervaded with the smell...and was so overpowering that my son and I moved to the main cabin ( luckily the front rows were empty and we got to pick those) and the FA's were fine with it. Possibly because it was not full - it was only 6 of us in the large cabin, we really liked it...the mini-cabin was completely full.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
7A is a great seat!
Old May 13, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: KF PPS, MM FT
7A/K are the best in the house. The mini-cabin on EY's 789 is not good, the seats are shorter when in bed mode, and the whole cabin feels way too cramped.

In fact the only GOOD seats on the 789 are 7A/K and 9A/K. I think EK has done a terrible job in designing the business cabin as it is. Seats 11 are too close for comfort to economy class and boy those ME/SE flights tend to have a LOT of babies/screaming children for whatever reason that is. And it strongly and negatively affects the overall atmosphere in the main business class. On the other hand, the mini-cabin is cramped and as mentioned the seats (at least in row 5) turn into shorter beds when in full reclined mode.
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Loalq
7A/K are the best in the house. The mini-cabin on EY's 789 is not good, the seats are shorter when in bed mode, and the whole cabin feels way too cramped.

In fact the only GOOD seats on the 789 are 7A/K and 9A/K. I think EK has done a terrible job in designing the business cabin as it is. Seats 11 are too close for comfort to economy class and boy those ME/SE flights tend to have a LOT of babies/screaming children for whatever reason that is. And it strongly and negatively affects the overall atmosphere in the main business class. On the other hand, the mini-cabin is cramped and as mentioned the seats (at least in row 5) turn into shorter beds when in full reclined mode.
Hmm interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:14 pm

I didn't sit on the true window seat as I was traveling with a friend. But from what I can see, I think 6A and 6K in the mini cabin is the best.
I reviewed it here. The service and food were great too in my opinion. I would fly it again.

https://firstofly.com/2019/09/13/eti...bi-washington/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.