DL Issued Ticket on 9W

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

DL Issued Ticket on 9W

So I have a Biz class award ticket (006 stock) from LAX (to MSP to LHR) to BOM with the first 2 flights on DL followed by the last flight on 9W. Of course now 9W is not operating, so what are my options to change the ticket when I call DL? There's no award seats available anywhere for my date but I see DL selling a codeshare on AF for revenue. Can I ask them to put me on that or will they give me the run around and ask me to find something available?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Since the flight is cancelled DL is obligated to book you on the very next available flight. Codeshares have nothing to do with it neither does award tickets or the current price of the new flight in case of revenue bookings. DL would of course always prefer to put you on their own or a partner flight (with whom they will have a better pre-negotiated rate).

You'll get the AF flight.
Dhamal likes this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Apr 23, 2019 at 6:24 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i got dl to switch me over to kl & az for 4 upcoming flights that were originally going to be operated by 9w....these were all revenue tickets though, but i would be surprised if they treat award tickets any differently in this situation....
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Keyser
....these were all revenue tickets though, but i would be surprised if they treat award tickets any differently in this situation....
Admittedly, I have no experience with DL, but I would be surprised if DL is prepared to rebook the OP into revenue class. In my experience with other carriers, the award ticket will make a big difference here and if DL acts in the same way as many carriers, DL will insist to rebook the OP to flights with award availability only. It is very optimistic to believe that the OP will be rebooked to the first available flight regardless of booking class, costs etc. Call center agents are not allowed to do this. This is not a IRROPS situation on the day of departure dealt with at airport.

But good luck to the OP.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL, just like other carriers which have ticketed onto 9W, all have plans in place for what they will and will not do.

OP should call and ask for the AF service.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

So DL ticketed the last flight in revenue class on Air India. I asked them if it was better for them to do a simple rerouting to LAX-CDG-BOM (DL/AF) but he said a hard no and that they have no issue giving Air India. Go figure!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DL probably got a reprotection agreement in place to handle the various 9W flights that have cancelled. LHR-BOM seems to be assigned to AI hence they will just rebook onto that. Hope you have enough time planned for the terminal change in LHR.

VS for example is trying to route pax to their LHR-DEL flight, but has made arrangements with AI, UK, EK and AF/KL. See below.

Last edited by oliver2002; Apr 25, 2019 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
DL probably got a reprotection agreement in place to handle the various 9W flights that have cancelled. LHR-BOM seems to be assigned to AI hence they will just rebook onto that. Hope you have enough time planned for the terminal change in LHR.
Yes 5hr 20min from Terminal 3 to 2!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Admittedly, I have no experience with DL, but I would be surprised if DL is prepared to rebook the OP into revenue class.
i never said that....i said that my tickets were all revenue tickets & dl booked me on different carriers....as far as award tickets are concerned, dl would probably accomodate passengers on other airlines if there is no option to re-book them on dl itself....

a number of years ago, i was on an award ticket from del-ams-fra....i used skymiles & the operating carrier was kl....there was a technical issue with the del-klm flight so dl re-booked me on lh directly from del-fra....i don't know if there was award space available on lh or not but i was re-booked at the last minute & i did not earn any miles for this journey....
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

IATA partners can rebook onto each other if the cancellations occur unexpectedly. Which explains the KL/LH rebooking. If the cancellation is known well in advance, reprotection agreements have to be made.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
So I have a Biz class award ticket (006 stock) from LAX (to MSP to LHR) to BOM with the first 2 flights on DL followed by the last flight on 9W. Of course now 9W is not operating, so what are my options to change the ticket when I call DL? There's no award seats available anywhere for my date but I see DL selling a codeshare on AF for revenue. Can I ask them to put me on that or will they give me the run around and ask me to find something available?

Thanks
I have a situation opposite to yours. I have a DL award ticket issued by 9W, for travel in Jan 2020. I am worried if that will be honoured by DL now that Jet has shut shop. I can still look up my booking on DL website though.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
IATA partners can rebook onto each other if the cancellations occur unexpectedly. Which explains the KL/LH rebooking. If the cancellation is known well in advance, reprotection agreements have to be made.
Does anyone know how the partner award redemption between different airlines work, like how the ticket cost is settled etc.?
Old May 1, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Jet Privilege
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333
I have a situation opposite to yours. I have a DL award ticket issued by 9W, for travel in Jan 2020. I am worried if that will be honoured by DL now that Jet has shut shop. I can still look up my booking on DL website though.
Guys, anybody knows the solution to this?
Old May 1, 2019, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333
Does anyone know how the partner award redemption between different airlines work, like how the ticket cost is settled etc.?
Thats part of the bilateral agreements they usually sign. Airlines usually present the bill for performing a service to the agency that issued the ticket after performing the service. In the revenue world this is done over the IATA BSP clearing house and agencies can issue tickets because the BSP holds a bank guarantee to cover the amount of tickets they issue. In award tickets a similar tally is kept that is defined in the bilateral.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
A data point that may be of use: I had a SkyMiles redemption ticket for travel HYD-BOM-LHR (in business class) in December on 9W. Delta told me yesterday that for travel between Europe and India they could rebook on AI; I've therefore now been rebooked on AI HYD-DEL-LHR (still in business class) with very similar travel times to my original itinerary. (Unfortunately, for award tickets, BA wasn't an option)

Did this all via Twitter with 0 issues.
​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.