Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India following the vector of Jet Airways following Kingfisher

Air India following the vector of Jet Airways following Kingfisher

Old Apr 20, 19, 7:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 972
Air India following the vector of Jet Airways following Kingfisher

This German blog speculates that AI is likely to follow the same path trodden by 9W based on their allegation that some of the AI fleet has been grounded due to the inability to pay for maintenance and parts - don't know how much of that is true
puchong is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
It's very true that some 20-25 AI planes are grounded for want of maintenance for the last several months. No idea what the blog says though because it's in German.

However AI is owned by the govt. So they are not going anywhere.
Dhamal likes this.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:49 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,087
The article references a statement Jayant Sinha made to parliament months ago. Especially with 9W gone business will be good for AI for quite a while.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:19 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,553
ai is going nowhere & will end up burdening the indian taxpayer till the end of time....
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:24 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
ai is going nowhere & will end up burdening the indian taxpayer till the end of time....
Unless you know who has done a deal with his pal Ambani (or Adani) to sell off AI & 9W on the cheap
puchong is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:07 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,553
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
Unless you know who has done a deal with his pal Ambani (or Adani) to sell off AI & 9W on the cheap
'you know who' may not be around from next month....
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 10:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston MA
Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Posts: 500
I think there is a good chance AI will follow suite.

9W was a semi-classy airline. They had decent service instead of the bus company that are Indigo and SpiceJet. But they were the only airline built on that model of importance. Of course, they charged more. And... they failed.

AI's service is FAR from 9W's. From what I saw, their fleet is not comparing advantageously to 9W. And yet they are also trying to charge a premium. For what purpose? Only being a govt entity and the flag bearer saves them from oblivion, and I wouldn't want to bet on how long this will last.

The only possible classy airline that may pick up the slack is Vistara. And why would these guys take over operations from AI. I heard this, but why would you take over a disparate fleet in which the entertainment has been disabled, populated by crews with a long history of strife, plus a ground game that sometimes borders on the atrocious?

I am not sure if I see a way forward for AI. And pethaps 9W's demise will accelerate things too. Perhaps flyers thought that the govt would never let 9W just fail. Well, they did. So, my next trip in India, do I really want to take a chance with AI? Of course, when everyone says this, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...
skidooman is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland OR
Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
The only possible classy airline that may pick up the slack is Vistara.
This. 51% owned by Tata (with 49% SQ). They could buy out SQ whenever they want, but probably value the input on running a classy airline. They’ve picked up the domestic interline feed for United (who used Jet, not AI) and I suspect others. They’ve been biding their time and will be ready to take advantage.
usbusinesstraveller is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:26 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller View Post


This. 51% owned by Tata (with 49% SQ). They could buy out SQ whenever they want, but probably value the input on running a classy airline. They’ve picked up the domestic interline feed for United (who used Jet, not AI) and I suspect others. They’ve been biding their time and will be ready to take advantage.
Ideally, Vistara buys out not just AI but also Jet. This gives India 3-4 strong domestic airlines and also competition for the short haul international routes. It should also help stabilise the industry financially. But the Tata Group doesn't have spare cash lying around at this time to make this happen and without significant financial support from the government, especially on the headcount and debt front, they wouldn't move anyway.
678flyer is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:49 am
  #10  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,087
Airlines is always a terrible industry to invest in, especially in the Indian market which has one of the lowest RASK in the world. AI/9W/UK were competing for the tiny premium domestic market, the bulk is with the LoCos like Spice, Indigo and GoAir who compete against II AC railway prices. Longhaul you are up against the ME3 who offer pricing to EU/US at cash cost from all major towns with a decent airport, and the AirAsias of this world who offer cheap 3-4 h flights. Vistara is viable because they have a uniform fleet and just recently started as greenfield and will capture the gap left by 9W. AI needs to be restructured with a terrible slashing of jobs. No babu is going to touch that topic unless forced by a recession or super high fuel prices (>120$/bl).
2sk21 likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:33 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,553
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Perhaps flyers thought that the govt would never let 9W just fail. Well, they did.
why would anyone think that the government wouldn't let 9w fail????this current government just wanted to make it seem like they cared what happened to 9w since its election time right now....in reality, they couldn't care less....the government let kingfisher fail a few years ago & 9w was no different this time....

Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
So, my next trip in India, do I really want to take a chance with AI? Of course, when everyone says this, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...
ai will be around long after you & me & probably everyone else i know is no longer around....it will continue to plague the indian taxpayer forever....
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:35 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,275
Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
Ideally, Vistara buys out not just AI but also Jet. This gives India 3-4 strong domestic airlines and also competition for the short haul international routes. It should also help stabilise the industry financially. But the Tata Group doesn't have spare cash lying around at this time to make this happen and without significant financial support from the government, especially on the headcount and debt front, they wouldn't move anyway.
Tata isn’t so stupid as to want to risk their money in Vistara by swallowing AI, and tying up with AI and more so with the GoI is a bad idea.

One of the best things to happen to Tata may have been their loss of that which became the Air India we know now and so many love to hate in ways.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:17 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
I don't why people feel that AI would ever fail. They won't. That's that.

Who should we really be worried about - GoAir. They are the ones in real trouble.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Apr 22, 19 at 4:26 am
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 3:31 am
  #14  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,087
AI took a good look at the B77W owned by 9W and said no thank you. MRO issues.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69198498.cms
oliver2002 is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 3:32 am
  #15  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,087
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
This German blog speculates that AI is likely to follow the same path trodden by 9W based on their allegation that some of the AI fleet has been grounded due to the inability to pay for maintenance and parts - don't know how much of that is true
The grounded B788, B777 and A320 are being reactivated: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69183660.cms
oliver2002 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread