Search

Involuntary Downgrade on AI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
Involuntary Downgrade on AI

Hi,

Fist time flying on AI and have 4 legs booked.
DEL - KTM - DEL has just been downgraded to a 1 class aircraft. I was booked in Business (Z) and have been booked into Economy (H).
Firstly, how do I claim the refund - I had paid for business for this leg? Secondly. can I claim and compensation for involuntary downgrade?

Good job I am *G otherwise lounge access would have gone too.
Not a good first impression...If I wanted to fly economy I would have chosen a different airline!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I don't think you'll get any compensation from AI. However you will get your refund depending on how you bought the ticket. If you bought it through a TA you need to get your refund processed through them. If you bought it from AI go to the manage booking section in the website and see if you can claim your refund through there. Otherwise write to [email protected] with copies of your ticket, BP and you complete flight details.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thankyou very much. Bought ticket through AI. Will have a look at manage booking and see if I can do it that way.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
ai is pretty bad with offering refunds in situations like this....i once got downgraded on a flight where i had bought my business class ticket months before....the refund they were offering me was the difference between the low business class fare i bought months ago & the high economy fare available at the last minute....there was hardly a 15% difference between the 2 at that time whereas when i bought the ticket the business class fare was 4 times the lowest economy fare....
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Looks like the afternoon DEL-KTM-DEL rotation still offers business class. If your schedule allows and you still want to stay in business class, you can ask AI to rebook you on the later flights instead.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Flew on saturday and no business offered on either flight. Both were oversold and I was “considered lucky” that they would get me a seat...terrible customer service at DEL. They just wanted to pass us on. Get a refund in KTM was the advice...no chance. 2 seats separated in the cabin and no way to put us together. Rude staff and appalling customer service.

I had flown in from DXB on a 787 and it was pretty good. Sadly though this is my first and last time with Air India. I can route though SIN on SQ next time. Much longer but you get what you pay for. It appears for AI : the more you pay the less you get!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
AI in IRROPS is just awful. They show incredible apathy.

Also if you're flying from DXB... there are direct flights to KTM. Not sure about prices or J availability there though.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, if there is no alternative with a business cabin it's difficult to make amends.

I once had a downgrade to single cabin A320 on CCU DEL and was told to go pound sand by e-commerce@ai because it was just a leg in a bigger ticket. I just went to the airport a little early so I was in time for the previous flight which was a 787. After some debate they rebooked me in business to the earlier flight.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:26 pm

Very unlikely that you will get anything. It's an incredibly mismanaged government airline, which is on debt-ventilator and can die any day.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leonidas
Very unlikely that you will get anything. It's an incredibly mismanaged government airline, which is on debt-ventilator and can die any day.
Sounds like my current experience with them...first and last time!
The 787 in J wasnt too bad but A320 in Y...and the ground staff...absolutely appalling. I did make a complaint at transit desk, I have made a complaint on twitter and I have emailed the airline. Involuntary downgrade aside its the rudeness, apathy and helpfulness.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by leonidas
Agree with incredibly mismanaged government airline. I don't think it will die anytime soon. With all of our tax money, government will keep funding it forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.