Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Express delayed by more than 12 hours

Air India Express delayed by more than 12 hours

Old Mar 27, 19, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M & M, Asia Miles, KFA
Question Air India Express delayed by more than 12 hours

I was booked on IX 247 14March to depart from Mumbai at 10am. After checking in, we were informed that the flight coming in from Dubai could not take off due to fog and the new departure time would be 1830.

Post this, we were then informed by sms that the new departure time would be 1945. The flight finally pushed back at 2130 and then the pilot had to abort the take off due to technical reasons. We then came back to a remote bay where the technicians worked on the problem and the flight took off finally at 0130 am on 15March. This delay is more than 12 hours and I want to know if we are eligible for a compensation ?

I have also taken an insurance and tried to claim for this delay but the insurance company has informed me that compensation can be given only if I have spent for stay or food and on actuals. Nowhere on the policy is this stated. does anyone have any idea about this ?
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Indian law only provides for meals if delayed by <24h: DGCA
Old Mar 27, 19, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
unfortunately you won't be able to get any compensation....for weather related issues the airline can also argue extraordinary circumstances & not be liable for anything....
Old Mar 27, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Unfortunately there's not much IX or even AI like to do compensation wise. And the Indian govt. doesn't really insist on this either (unlike the EU for example). So I don't think you'll get anything from them esp. with the weather involved.

Travel insurance generally covers you for local transport + meals + accommodation in case of flight delays. It's very similar to say hospitalization insurance. They won't give you a lump sump - they'll pay for expenses incurred up to certain limits.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. But did AI treat you well during those 12 hours? Offer you food, water etc.?

Search this Thread