Should I book a Jet flight for December?

Old Mar 21, 19, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Should I book a Jet flight for December?

I am looking at one way fares from YYZ to VCE at the end of December, and the cheapest fare by far is with Jet/KLM. I am aware things donít look good for Jet. Is it worth it to bother booking the fare? My credit cardís insurance will reimburse me if they go bankrupt, and I can choose another destination if that happens. WWYD?
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:38 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
It's pretty much a matter of a week now. Unless lenders step in with funding within the next week, the airline won't survive. However if they do, it's extremely likely that they will survive until December. I'd suggest holding onto booking for a few days and taking a call next Friday.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:52 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Would advise against that now and a month from now. Under the current circumstances it is unlikely 9W will be flying in Dec 19. It doesn't seem likely they will be able to turn around.

The problem with booking this flight makes you committed to this ticket. That means when your 9W flight gets cancelled (which may be a month or a few months for now) prices may have gone up quite a lot. That's the risk you're taking.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Mar 21, 19 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:00 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
No you should not.
GUWonder, nancypants and Dhamal like this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Toronto to Venice is a contested market and if 9W should fail finding an alternative won't be a major issue. If you have protection via your credit card I would go for it.
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by mykel67 View Post
I am looking at one way fares from YYZ to VCE at the end of December, and the cheapest fare by far is with Jet/KLM. I am aware things don’t look good for Jet. Is it worth it to bother booking the fare? My credit card’s insurance will reimburse me if they go bankrupt, and I can choose another destination if that happens. WWYD?
What's the cost difference with the next cheapest flight ? Weigh that with finding out in few weeks your flight is cancelled and then having to re-book at that time which could potentially be at a higher cost. The key is whether that higher cost few weeks down the line will be more than what your seeing for the next cheapest flight today.

There is speculation that Jet Airways' lessors are trying to get other Indian players to take on those planes. Also, other airlines seem to be actively recruiting Jet Airways' pilots as per this thread (Jet Going the Path of Kingfisher??). If all of this is true, even if Jet Airways gets funding there is no way back for them in the near term. Maybe they turn into a boutique airline and hope your route continues or they just close shop.
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Toronto to Venice is a contested market and if 9W should fail finding an alternative won't be a major issue. If you have protection via your credit card I would go for it.
Hopper disagrees with a few random date pairs that I tried. They say prices will rise much closer to Dec than right away and generally by quite a bit.
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
are you buying the ticket from klm or from 9w????if its ticketed by klm then i would go for it because klm would put you on another flight if 9w goes under....
Dhamal likes this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
are you buying the ticket from klm or from 9w????if its ticketed by klm then i would go for it because klm would put you on another flight if 9w goes under....
Still optimistic 9W will survive ? I would have said "when"
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
Still optimistic 9W will survive ? I would have said "when"
their survival seems to hinge quite a bit on this current government pushing for them to be bailed out....there seems no logical explanation for it besides the fact that there are ulterior motives for the government....without pushing this conversation into omni territory, all i'm going to say is that this election result in the month of may might just decide whether 9w continues to live on or not....
jakas likes this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The fare is $423 CAD; itís with Jet from YYZ to AMS, and with KLM from AMS to VCE. Unfortunately, the only booking option I have found is with Jet directly. The next lowest fares are almost double.

I am not committed to this itinerary, so if the ticket is cancelled it wouldnít be a big deal. But I donít want to bother even trying if itís highly unlikely to be honoured.

Search this Thread