Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI prepared to rebook due to Pakistani airspace closure?

Old Mar 16, 19, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, HH G

Let say I bought a cheap CPH-DEL-BKK return ticket in Y with AI for next week. For the outbound journey there is a long scheduled layover at DEL of about 6h but AI158 CPH-DEL has departed very late since the air space closure and often BKK bound pax must have missed their onward AI flight to BKK by the time AI158 have landed at DEL. How does AI handle the rebookings at DEL? Rebooked to 9W or TG to minimize the delay? (AI only has 2 flights a day to BKK)

Any chance to get AI to rebook already from CPH to a different carrier, i.e. by-passing DEL?

Any experiences with the air space closure would be appreciated.
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
With a 6 hour layover I think there is little reason for them to re-route you right now. If you miss your DEL-BKK flight they may put you on TG or the next AI flight. AI has stopped accepting 9W IROPS pax so I doubt they’ll be sending you to 9W.

Schedules and flights movements even with PAK airspace closed should stabilize by next week. So you should be ok.
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As posted on the other thread: AI will rebook you if you arrive late in Delhi and miss your connection. No rebooking in advance.
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't forget that as this is a departure from the EU (or more precisely, a country which abides by EC 261/2004), AI owes you a duty of care no matter the circumstances of the delay. Thus, hotels and meals appropriate to the length of the delay and time of day.
SK AAR likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Would EC 261 apply when here? I don't think this is within the airlines' control.
Old Mar 16, 19, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Earlier this month AI followed the duty of care rules in Europe and Delhi. At the gate in Vienna they had food packets on hand and fed everyone. In Delhi people with transit connection > 5-6h got put up in the airside HIX.
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Would EC 261 apply when here? I don't think this is within the airlines' control.
The duty of care provisions apply even if it is not within the airline's control. See European Court of Justice case C‑12/11 on the Eyjafjallajökull eruption a few years ago.

Why wouldn't it be within the airline's control, if the ticket is booked today? AI knows that the airspace is closed, so it should be possible for AI to calculate reasonable arrival times for its flights. Presenting reasonable arrival times on the booking page should be fully within AI's control. I think it would only be outside the airline's control if the ticket was booked before the airspace was closed.
Old Mar 16, 19, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is wholly irrelevant whether the circumstances of the delay are within the carrier's control. The question is whether this is an "extraordinary circumstance." It definitionally is. That is because the air space issue is the result of a government action.

But that is a red herring as to "duty of care" and that is why I was careful only to point to the issue. By its terms, the carrier has a duty of care in all circumstances and that would include at least hotel and meals appropriate to the length of the delay and time of day.
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It is wholly irrelevant whether the circumstances of the delay are within the carrier's control. The question is whether this is an "extraordinary circumstance." It definitionally is. That is because the air space issue is the result of a government action.

But that is a red herring as to "duty of care" and that is why I was careful only to point to the issue. By its terms, the carrier has a duty of care in all circumstances and that would include at least hotel and meals appropriate to the length of the delay and time of day.
Duty of care sure... compensation... probably not.
Old Mar 17, 19, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Guys, my inquiry was not about "extraordinary circumstances" and compensation under EU Reg. 261/04 nor about the duty of care.

Obviously, the air spare closure is an extraordinary circumstance exempting the carriers from paying compensation regardless when the ticket was purchased (to the extent of course that the delay was only caused by the air space closure but it may turn out difficult to prove that it was caused by something else) but AI still has a duty of care regardless of the reason for the delay. It seems that AI fulfills the duty of care obligations as could reasonably be expected.
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
The EU Reg. 261/04 applies, but there is no obligation to pay comp. under the regulation due to "extraordinary circumstances"
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
if you miss your flight then ai will first try to put you on one of their own flights....if that is not possible then they will look at another carrier....
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Of course AI has a later flight to BKK - but it is @ 11PM! I would hate to wait that long to continue the journey to BKK if I miss the 1:45PM AI flight.

Hmm - given the uncertainty I will skip the idea of buying a cheap AI ticket and go for the more safe option: TG CPH-BKK direct (but at a higher fare of course).

Search this Thread