Mumbai runway closures

Old Jan 5, 19, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Mumbai runway closures

I read about the impending runway maintenance at BOM- specifically that from February 7 to March 30, 2019, both the runways at the airport will close from 11 am to 5 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Iím flying Bom-JDH on 9W 412 on 2/12 (a Tuesday). The flight leaves at 11:40 am, yet the flight isnít on the list of cancelled Jet flights. I called in and they say the flight is still planned as scheduled. Do you suppose they will reschedule it to leave before 11am or will they eventually cancel it?
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
they will in all probability reschedule it closer to the travel date....
Old Jan 6, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
9W were thinking they might close before the BOM runway does again!

Now that they think they’ll last through Feb at least... they’ll reschedule it for sure.
Anish and CedarSwampThing like this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts on this everyone!
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Of course without starting another thread I still feel it’s important to rant about the BOM runway closures for resurfacing!

They do this every 6 months or so now! I think they’ve hired the same @$$4073s who “fix” the Mumbai roads ever 6 weeks. What’s with that!!!
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The amount of traffic the single runway in BOM gets each day puts a lot of stress on the surface. If you don't resurface every two years you will have reduced movements during monsoon.
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:34 am

I get your point... but doesn't happen far more often. It's not a once every 2 year thing for sure.

And of course with BOM not having parallel runways... it's very easy for disruptions especially on the primary runway to cause the airport to close.

Also I enjoyed watching commandos land on the roof of the airport where they held mock drills on one such occasion when the airport was closed. I was on the airport flyover and traffic was stopped. I made a frantic call to my wife telling her that there was a terrorist attack going on in BOM. Only for her to come back a few minutes later to let me know that the airport was shut and it was a drill. It was still thrilling to watch.

Nevertheless irritating & disruptive because it (has on occasion) ruined your schedule and plans.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jan 8, 19 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:44 am

AFAIK the last runway closure on 9-27 was in Oct/Nov 2016.
Old Jan 8, 19, 12:11 pm

Oct 2018 (though only for a few hours) and then Feb-Apr 2017. I could dig these out. There might be more.
Old Jan 9, 19, 3:23 am

Preventive maintainance on 9-27 is sheduled pretty much every day: the AD 2.23 and NOTAMs highlight the closure for 30-60 minutes to operators. I'm talking about major work that shuts down operations on 9-27 completely...

Search this Thread