Air India stops distributing via Amadeus

Old Dec 31, 18, 5:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Angry Air India stops distributing via Amadeus

Trying to research fares and availability for my next India trip via Amadeus and not finding anything I discovered this today:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66945758.cms

It seems AI could not settle on the terms for renewing their contract with the dominant GDS in India and Europe. Great.

And of course interlining tickets with *A partners using amadeus or issuing awards with them is also history....
Old Dec 31, 18, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
that's not good....the majority of travel agents in india use amadeus....have they not factored in the loss of business from these travel agents when they won't be able to make ai booking anymore????
Old Dec 31, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It might be a bad move for AI... who are claiming they’ll save about INR 3,000 crores over 6 years... which is a big amount. Whether this is true or not is an entirely different thing. I doubt it is true.

Also I read somewhere that they’re moving to TravelPort only for DOM reservations and will continue to use Amadeus for INT bookings.

Now assuming you’re an individual and not a TA. Why are you looking for availability through Amadeus? What advantage do you get from that? And why does it affect *A award bookings? I’m not seeing an discernable difference in availability in AI’s online *A booking system - should we?
Old Dec 31, 18, 8:46 am
Original Poster

All *A members are required to use the CITP which is based on the Amadeus GDS. Most have migrated their CRS to Amadeus. So if I would want to request an award from LH, SQ, TG, etc which is to be operated by AI, the agents will not see the flight in their systems.

If my TA is using Amadeus they cannot book AI flights to connect to Lufthansa, BA, AY, AF/KL etc anymore.

More here: https://www.dnaindia.com/business/re...r-move-2689323

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2600864_1.html

It seems the next years its Travelport and Sabre only, then only Travelport.
Old Jan 1, 19, 4:26 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yup... I get the theory. The DNA "article" was obviously paid propaganda stuff. Nevertheless..... I'm very easily able to book *A awards from UA, TK (both online) and SQ (phone) just fine. Both in single airline and mixed airline modes.

I can understand how TAs only using Amadeus are affected and therefore the people booking through them. But I'm not seeing the public (and more so FTers) being affected.

I'm sure there's rev loss for AI though.
Old Jan 1, 19, 7:34 am
Original Poster

UA uses HP Shares, TK Sabre as their CRS, so no problems there. SQ will no longer able to see AI inventory.

Attached the communication to TA in Germany.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 1, 19 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 1, 19, 12:37 pm

I did get SQ to confirm AI availability on the phone last week but I didn't end up doing the booking. AI has never been searchable on SQ online since SQ went live with their *A awards search last year.
Old Jan 1, 19, 2:11 pm

Also how is using Shares or Sabre CRS linked to using or not using Amadeus and other GDS’? Does using these CRS mean that they use TravelPort GDS by default?
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:30 pm

This is a bummer for me because I need to make a change to an award ticket on AI via ANA and they are saying they can't do it now that AI dropped Amadeus. However, this article is reporting that Amadeus has to come back:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...s-3371851.html
Anyone have insight on if or when this will actually happen?
Old Jan 21, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: Miles and More
I was in the process of using my miles to book my honeymoon flights to Sri Lanka,

On Thursday I received a quote of 60k + taxes from Heathrow with a Birmingham option also.

However, when I tried to do this formally on the Friday the Service team stated that the can no longer book Air India flights with miles due to a "stop" on this. They could get me into Chennai or Delhi, but not over to Colombo. Could this be related? Any news on when it should be OK to book an Award Flight with Air India?
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:23 am

Who were you booking through? And how were they getting you to Delhi?
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:25 am

Via miles and more service team
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Who were you booking through? And how were they getting you to Delhi?
It was through the Lufthansa miles and more service team. FLight was BHX/LHR to FRA to DEL/MAA (then on to Colombo)
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:46 am

I'm assuming BHX - DEL is an AI flight. So M&M CAN book a BHX-DEL-MAA flight and CANNOT book DEL-CMB? That's weird.

If this is a Amadeus issue then unfortunately it is never going to resolve.

Do you have miles in any other account? You could use TK M&S, UA MP and others to book.
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I'm assuming BHX - DEL is an AI flight. So M&M CAN book a BHX-DEL-MAA flight and CANNOT book DEL-CMB? That's weird.

If this is a Amadeus issue then unfortunately it is never going to resolve.

Do you have miles in any other account? You could use TK M&S, UA MP and others to book.
I think as it was a stop over in Frankfurt it was a LH flight to DEL.

Unfortunately only have miles with LH M&M - not sure how else I would be able to book? Any ideas would be great!

Search this Thread