Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways Turnaround in Colombo CMB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold

I have a flight booked ex CMB to the US, departing 9:05pm on Jet Airways, and connecting in Mumbai at 01:55AM. I am going to be in Mumbai and am considering booking a positioning flight on Jet that arrives CMB at 8:05pm.

I'm assuming that the same Jet Airways aircraft will return to Mumbai. Would it be possible to transit through CMB without having to clear immigration and customs and get back on to the same plane? Also, I imagine if there is some issue with the Jet flight TO CMB (cancellation for example) I could just stay in BOM anc catch my onward connection from there?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yes you can transit CMB airside. 9W should be able to issue your CMB-USA BPs before your BOM-CMB flight. But I'm not 100% sure.

If for any reason you are not able to make it to CMB you won't be able to take the onward connection from BOM because they will cancel the remainder of your CMB onwards journey.

If the CMB-BOM leg is cancelled by 9W... under most circumstances they will not allow you to take the BOM-USA leg but will only offer you rerouting from CMB.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
I was under the assumption that If you do not fly the first segment, Airlines will not allow you to board the second segment in the same ticket. Was that changed or my assumption is wrong...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by rj123456
Also, I imagine if there is some issue with the Jet flight TO CMB (cancellation for example) I could just stay in BOM anc catch my onward connection from there?
Nope, as far as 9W is concerned you are in CMB already. If you miss the CMB-BOM flight you will loose all remaining flights on your ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rj123456
I have a flight booked ex CMB to the US, departing 9:05pm on Jet Airways, and connecting in Mumbai at 01:55AM. I am going to be in Mumbai and am considering booking a positioning flight on Jet that arrives CMB at 8:05pm.

I'm assuming that the same Jet Airways aircraft will return to Mumbai. Would it be possible to transit through CMB without having to clear immigration and customs and get back on to the same plane? Also, I imagine if there is some issue with the Jet flight TO CMB (cancellation for example) I could just stay in BOM anc catch my onward connection from there?
i've used this cmb-usa itinerary twice to take advantage of the low business class fare from delta....but keep in mind that taking the bom-cmb flight is risky....you would be in a better position by taking another flight that gets you into cmb earlier on in the day....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yes you can transit CMB airside. 9W should be able to issue your CMB-USA BPs before your BOM-CMB flight. But I'm not 100% sure.
they won't....if the op is using the same ticket type that i think they are using then the routing on this journey would be cmb-bom-lhr-usa (probably nyc)....at cmb, 9w will only give you the boarding pass for cmb-bom & bom-lhr....the boarding pass for the last leg will be given at lhr....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoviceFT
I was under the assumption that If you do not fly the first segment, Airlines will not allow you to board the second segment in the same ticket. Was that changed or my assumption is wrong...
you are correct....if you miss your first flight then you won't be allowed to continue your journey from the second segment onward....
NoviceFT likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
they won't....if the op is using the same ticket type that i think they are using then the routing on this journey would be cmb-bom-lhr-usa (probably nyc)....at cmb, 9w will only give you the boarding pass for cmb-bom & bom-lhr....the boarding pass for the last leg will be given at lhr....
Oh yeah... if it’s through LHR.... I’ve never understood that... why does one have to queue up at the counter again... get documents checked and then be granted a boarding pass. It’s bad enough LHR is an aweful airport to transit esp. if you’re changing terminals on the bus - that’ll take you 45 minutes.

They try hard to make you miss your connection.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

Oh yeah... if it’s through LHR.... I’ve never understood that... why does one have to queue up at the counter again... get documents checked and then be granted a boarding pass. It’s bad enough LHR is an aweful airport to transit esp. if you’re changing terminals on the bus - that’ll take you 45 minutes.

They try hard to make you miss your connection.
i agree....its the only place where i have missed connections on 2 separate occasions, despite having over 3 hours to connect....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.