Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Delta Medallion Baggage on Jet Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Do delta platinum medallions get to have extra baggage on top of their regular baggage allowance when flying on a Delta ticketed flight. The flight is operated by Jet Airways but the first flight of the journey is by Delta all flight numbers are also Delta marketed. I am flying in business class throughout the journey and everything is booked under one ticket. Please advise any help would be appreciated as it is my understanding that medallions get and additional bag on flights.

Last edited by Dhrupalp; Nov 28, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Easiest way to check this is to go to saudia.com -> Manage Bookings -> e-ticket (not PNR). You’ll get your baggage allowance for each leg of your journey clearly spelt out there. Works for most airlines.

Since it’s all on one PNR and assuming you’re flying out of the US and assuming DL is your transatlantic carrier USDOT rules will apply and you will get DL’s allowance all through your entire journey. It becomes tricky for your return journey because unless your ticket spells out your additional status allowance 9W will not permit it.

So check the Saudi Airlines website first and then if required talk to DL to see how you can get that additional baggage included in your ticket. You probably can at T-24 if not earlier.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks this will be very helpful. It only shows 2 bags.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Talk to DL and see how you can get your status allowance included. In my limited experience I've seen that when I book a UA flight at T-24 I get the status allowance in the ticket. USDOT doesn't cover status/credit card etc. allowance so you're at DL's mercy.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
9W will go by the book and only give you the allowance shown in the ticket. DL status won't count.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i come across this problem quite often when flying on skyteam & other dl partners....i always book through dl & am allowed 3 bags....the other airlines always state that my baggage allowance is 2 bags but i have always been allowed to check in 3....

if its a dl ticketed flight & since the first flight is operated by dl, you will get the same baggage allowance that dl would give you....doesn't matter if other flights are operated by 9w....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
This could go either ways depending on the competence of the 9W check-in agent. I'd allocate about 30 mins extra at the airport incase you need to escalate this to a supervisor and also have some screenshots of the DL Medallion benefits page handy.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i come across this problem quite often when flying on skyteam & other dl partners....i always book through dl & am allowed 3 bags....the other airlines always state that my baggage allowance is 2 bags but i have always been allowed to check in 3....

if its a dl ticketed flight & since the first flight is operated by dl, you will get the same baggage allowance that dl would give you....doesn't matter if other flights are operated by 9w....
Skyteam will of course honour DL status. But 9W isn't supposed to are they?

Why do you think they allow you the additional baggage? Lenient check-in? DL updates the ticket when you do your first check-in with them? I've noticed as *G that with UA I never got my status baggage allowance in my ticket unless I was booking T-24 (got it at check-in of course). Could there be some updates to your ticket that time or during check-in?

And do you get the same benefits on a DL ticket if your first flight is on 9W or non Skyteam member?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Skyteam will of course honour DL status. But 9W isn't supposed to are they?

Why do you think they allow you the additional baggage? Lenient check-in? DL updates the ticket when you do your first check-in with them? I've noticed as *G that with UA I never got my status baggage allowance in my ticket unless I was booking T-24 (got it at check-in of course). Could there be some updates to your ticket that time or during check-in?

And do you get the same benefits on a DL ticket if your first flight is on 9W or non Skyteam member?
it all depends on who you book your ticket with....i always book my international tickets through dl & very often have my first or last flight operated by 9w....my ticket says 2 bags & i get the 3rd bag free due to my elite status....i've never had a problem checking in all 3....

but when i do book directly with 9w (only for domestic flights) then my diamond dl status does not get me any additional baggage allowance....i get whatever 9w gives me....
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I have booked from delta.com all flights are delta flight numbers in business class. My return starts in AMD and the agents can sometimes really be ill equipped to handle customers and elite status. I’m not sure whether to take the chance or let it go.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: Blasé..
Having known most of the AMD 9W agents - I am pretty sure that they wd not consider the DL Elite status and go only by the rule book - allowing you 2 bags! Having said that, if you can get Delta to respond in a mail (or something in written), few far stretched chances - Though high probability that even that won't be accepted - 9W would just go by the rulebook!

However worth taking a chance by asking someone to wait in the hall way till the checkin is complete - If it goes - it goes and it they ask additional baggage fees, safe to return it to the waiting family member
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
My recent 9W experience in AMD was probably the 2nd worst experience traveling that I've ever had.

I wouldn't even expect them to go by the book, they wouldn't for me.

My AMD-BOM-KTM ticket in Business and they insisted that I couldn't have my bags checked to the final destination for an hour...

It took about 10 minutes to get my DL FF # added to the ticket and everyone said PM didn't matter over and over, even when I said I just wanted the number added for miles.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Small airport clueless and now disincentivised staff.

What excuse did they give you for not wanting to check your bags through? AMD has plenty (if not mostly ) travelers connecting to international destinations. They should have been able to handle that.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Small airport clueless and now disincentivised staff.

What excuse did they give you for not wanting to check your bags through? AMD has plenty (if not mostly ) travelers connecting to international destinations. They should have been able to handle that.
My flight had something like 17 hours layover in BOM. I thought I'd have an evening out, etc. ...
They said they couldn't hold luggage that long. I believe the supervisor tried to say it was listed that baggage would not be held longer than 12 hours.

He spent 20 minutes at the computer before I finally interrupted him, and said, "I don't have all day for you to find out that I'm right, but I've got a solution."

In the end, however, my luggage was checked all the way through, because they called specifically for the purpose of making sure my baggage was taken care of.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

On a single PNR I assume... dumb thing for 9W to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.