AI experience AGR-JAI

Old Nov 11, 18, 10:50 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
AI experience AGR-JAI

Quick report / notes on our Air India / Alliance Air flight fron Agra to Jaipur.

Wow. Agra airport experience is nothing I would have imagined. First of all, we had to show our tickets at 3 different check points before actually entering the terminal. Then, our bags were scanned at two points before check in. We knew we had excess baggage so we wanted to pay for it. Not a big deal we have thought. But oh were we wrong.

The checkin process and payment involved 13 staff members (for a flight with 32 passengers on it...) and was really really slow. We spent nearly 1 hour there to process everything including repacking some items from one bag to another (reason unknown, I failed at finding out why so just did what I was told). First, there was some confusion about the allowance too. In the end we paid 6300 INR (~63€ for the excess baggage (12 kgs), but the flight was only 1600 INR (~16) per person lol. Security checks were very strict throughout, not only because it is India but also because it is a military / air force base. They then wanted to check in our small suitcase because „this is a small plane sir“. I then convinced the agent that our suitcase would fit as I have been on this aircraft type before. He then said „ok sir no problem“.

The terminal really offers nothing but a souvenir shop. No water can be purchased. We saw other pax bringing 1L bottles of water through security which apparently is allowed! The departure board still showed the old departure time from before the schedule change which was about 3 weeks ago haha. I also liked the Jet Airways bag tags that Air India uses in Agra.

To turn the ATR-72 around it took 17 persons lol! During boarding I saw an Indian Air Force Ilushyin take off which was amazing. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the refuelling truck so we had to go back to the terminal, through arrivals (!) back to the check in desk (!), they put the small boarding pass part back on (of course 3 agents were needed for this, and let me remind you, we were 32 passengers), through security again (!) and then straight boarding again. LOL!!

Only in India I guess. The whole procedure was very entertaining and funny, most Westerners (Polish, Germans and French) were taking it easily and were amused by everything.

We then departed 50 minutes late at 1220. The captain said the flight time would be 1h10 (for a 130mi flight?!). The airplane was in good condition and the in flight catering consisted of a small bottle of water and some snacks and sandwiches which were stored in the overhead bins (!) and which we didn‘t want. We arrived at 1255 so 35 minutes after departure. Should I be worried that the captain didn‘t actually know the flight time?

But hey, we survived! Thanks for reading!

Refuelling issues

BP

ATR-72 cabin

Last edited by florens; Nov 11, 18 at 11:08 pm
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
very similar to what i go through at ixd....all military based airports in india are the same....

Search this Thread