Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Re: Denied boarding at KTM by Air India on UA ticket

Old Oct 29, 18, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Saw this on the UA forum, thought it might be helpful to post here ... if others are in a similar travel situation and can take action proactively.
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I think OP was really pushing it trying to do an inter country trip without a visa.

Does anyone know of a “dual transit” scheme in India. I didn’t know we had one much less that it got changed 5 days ago!
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:48 am

We have many threads in Middle-East section of this website about people successfully doing dual transit in Saudi Arabia of all the places (XXX-RUH-JED-YYY) including trips originating from India. If KSA 'allows' it, I don't know what is the problem here in India? Besides, DEL and BOM both have well thought out, newly built terminals. If India wishes to be a tourist friendly country, this option should be allowed (albeit limited to few key airports).
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
If KSA 'allows' it, I don't know what is the problem here in India? Besides, DEL and BOM both have well thought out, newly built terminals. If India wishes to be a tourist friendly country, this option should be allowed (albeit limited to few key airports).
i agree with you that something like this should be allowed for the purposes of friendly tourism but i don't agree with the argument that it should be allowed just because other places allow it....

having taken many domestic flights that go through the international terminal, i can understand why they are disallowing this....it is very easy for someone to enter the country without a visa since you don't have to go through passport control to exit from one of these flights....
B747-437B likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yeah “KSA allows it” is not a great slogan for anything really. You’re giving an annectodal example. What passport and other visas were held by the transiting passenger? KSA could have transit visa exceptions. And even for the example you quoted... unless they’ve changed it recently you need a KSA visa if you are going to transit JED for >12 hours even if it’s all airside.

What if there was a gate change/flight cancellation/any other IROPS and the passenger had to go from INT to DOM! It’s not at all good policy esp. not for India. It’s like a call to all criminals, terrorists and visa avoiders.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Oct 30, 18 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Let's not do everything KSA does. In fact, let's not do anything KSA does, including anything that involves bone saws.

The domestic-international flight thing is a quite unusual arrangement, and (as noted above) a security risk. The complainer assumed that DEL-BOM is just like any other international flight, and that should not be assumed.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether dual transit is a good or a bad idea is irrelevant for the purposes of a travel forum. The sole question here is whether OP's situation qualified and it apparently did at the time he purchased his tickets and then did not.

Someone on a simple ticket to the UK or US from a country with no visa requirement on the date of ticket purchase could find himself required to have a visa by the date of travel. Things change.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Whether dual transit is a good or a bad idea is irrelevant for the purposes of a travel forum. The sole question here is whether OP's situation qualified and it apparently did at the time he purchased his tickets and then did not.
I think dual transit is a relevant topic in a travel forum.

Also I really doubt it was a case of the “situation changing”. The Original OP read that the transit happens in the international terminals and assumed no visa was need. OOP had no idea if dual transit was allowed through India or not. I could be wrong but I really really don’t think there was a dual transit facility to begin with.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:14 pm

Beats me why would anyone assume DEL-BOM would be visa free especially on a routing that involves change of planes.
However for academic interest, if the routing would have been say DXB-BOM-DEL-JFK all on AI and BOM-DEL-JFK was on AI 101... then would a visa be required for the BOM-DEL leg?
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bigapple07 View Post
Beats me why would anyone assume DEL-BOM would be visa free especially on a routing that involves change of planes.
However for academic interest, if the routing would have been say DXB-BOM-DEL-JFK all on AI and BOM-DEL-JFK was on AI 101... then would a visa be required for the BOM-DEL leg?

Would be the safest thing to do though probably not required. While you may try to make your case most arlines and immigration officers will err on the side of caution. The problems they can get into doesn’t make it worth the risk for them. Especially for travel to India even gate agents have to check all non-Indian passports for valid visas before allowing pax to board - try making your case to them! OOP was on 102 BTW.

I know people who have tried to save costs and bought BOM-FRA-MUC-USA tickets and have had to buy a new BOM-FRA/MUC-USA ticket at the airport. It’s just crazy to try and do this kind of routing through another country.

And I think the OOP got a lot of bashing because he/she tried to play the victim card and wanted compensation from AI/UA.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Oct 30, 18 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold+ 5*
Hello, OOP here. Just for clarification, I didn’t “try to play the victim card”. The error in my ways was not knowing that airlines are not responsible for communicating visa rule changes. Based on that incorrect assumption, I felt that I deserved compensation from the airline. I got bashed enough on the other thread to know that I should have no such expectation. The conversation then continued about why India might have introduced a rule that disallows dual transits without a visa, plus the question still stands on whether that rule change actually happened. I have not been able to find any reference to such a change, so as of now, the only reference to that policy change is the words of the AI agent at KTM.
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by stephanos99 View Post
I didn’t “try to play the victim card”.

Unfortunately that’s how it sounded to me at least. And maybe it isn’t you maybe it’s just a bias from hearing others come to this forum only to complain. As I mentioned it my post on the other thread... expected that the FTers bash you (probably a little more because of the comp claim) but refreshing to see you stayed to clarify and contest your position.

Also, you had quite an adventure that ended well (except for the UA miles part which I’m sure will be credited back to you at some point). That makes for a very interesting experience and a great story to share... landing in Tibet etc. etc.

Originally Posted by stephanos99 View Post
The conversation then continued about why India might have introduced a rule that disallows dual transits without a visa, plus the question still stands on whether that rule change actually happened.

I don’t think there is any such thing as dual transit. I doubt if govts are ever ok with anyone hopping around their country... I’d be very surprised if there are any countries that allow this. You could get a TWOV or a visa-not-required for a certain type of passport though. I think between “go to DEL and figure it out after that by yourself” and “dual transit”, it’s more likely you got a very clueless & inexperienced check-in agent.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Oct 31, 18 at 1:58 am
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post

Unfortunately that’s how it sounded to me at least. And as I mentioned it my post on the other thread... expected that the FTers bash you (probably a little more because of the comp claim) but refreshing to see you stayed to clarify and contest your position.

I don’t think there is any such thing as dual transit. I doubt if govts are ever ok with anyone hopping around their country... I’d be very surprised if there are any countries that allow this. You could get a TWOV or a visa-not-required for a certain type of passport though. I think between “go to DEL and figure it out after that by yourself” and “dual transit”, it’s more likely you got a very clueless & inexperienced check-in agent.
As OOP himself demonstrated, China allows multiple transits without visas.
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
As OOP himself demonstrated, China allows multiple transits without visas.
No... China has a 24 hour TWOV that OOP got.
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post

No... China has a 24 hour TWOV that OOP got.
The fact that they offer TWOV was my point.

Search this Thread