Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Privilege - Sweet spots!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
You can just call reservations and ask for the CX PNR. Once the itinerary is ticketed, it functions like a normal booking.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Anish
You can just call reservations and ask for the CX PNR. Once the itinerary is ticketed, it functions like a normal booking.
Yeah. It's just that one more call to Jet would have driven me over some kind of brink, so decided to email.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
So, I asked for 2 business class redemptions from BOM to NYC (any airport) and was given an option on EY for 240,000 JP miles + ~INR 64,000 each. I wrote back saying the "taxes" were too high and to look for an itinerary on a different airline. In a couple of days, I received a call (and subsequently, an email) from them saying they had spoken to EY and have had the "taxes" reduced to ~INR46k each. Now, I've been in this game long enough to know that "taxes" is not a negotiable amount - anyone know whats going on?

Anyway, in my haste to get rid of all my JP miles, I did ticket the itinerary. Still looking for redemption ideas to redeem another 600k points; this thread couldn't have come at a more opportune time.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by vbh812
So, I asked for 2 business class redemptions from BOM to NYC (any airport) and was given an option on EY for 240,000 JP miles + ~INR 64,000 each.
Something seems off there. I'm saying this without having looked at Jet's partner chart again, but as far as I remember, AUH-SYD/MEL is something like 120k JP miles for J. So I don't know why BOM-NYC would be twice that.

Last edited by L_D_M; Nov 2, 2018 at 5:46 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I assume (hope) 240k miles + 46k INR was return. I was going to ask you why you didn’t prefer to fly 9W to YYZ and then down to NYC. It would be an additional visa but would have saved you some 60-70k INR. Then I saw 9W’s charts... 300k miles + ~5k taxes.... 300k!!! They’re they only airlines whose partner redemption chart is less expensive than flying their own metal. Yes I know there’s no YQ on their own metal but still!!!

The easiest way to check what your YQ should be is on itamatrix. Go there put in your flight dates - select your preference and you’ll get a detailed fare breakup... add up the taxes & YQ and see what you get.

I like 9W’s story though... negotiating taxes with EY. Most likely they found out they messed up how they calculated YQ. They might have wrongly doubled it because you’re in J or something like that. Or they’re trying by any means possible to raise funds for the ailing airlines.

Given 9W’s super expensive charts burning 600k miles should not be a problem at all. Stick to NH and CX for the lowest YQ. For instance a cheaper way (but longer) to do this would be to fly NH BOM-West Coast & then DL West Coast - NYC. You would have saved a lot of money.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
South Africa also has some great options at 128k return for J
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I assume (hope) 240k miles + 46k INR was return. I was going to ask you why you didn’t prefer to fly 9W to YYZ and then down to NYC. It would be an additional visa but would have saved you some 60-70k INR. Then I saw 9W’s charts... 300k miles + ~5k taxes.... 300k!!! They’re they only airlines whose partner redemption chart is less expensive than flying their own metal. Yes I know there’s no YQ on their own metal but still!!!

The easiest way to check what your YQ should be is on itamatrix. Go there put in your flight dates - select your preference and you’ll get a detailed fare breakup... add up the taxes & YQ and see what you get.

I like 9W’s story though... negotiating taxes with EY. Most likely they found out they messed up how they calculated YQ. They might have wrongly doubled it because you’re in J or something like that. Or they’re trying by any means possible to raise funds for the ailing airlines.

Given 9W’s super expensive charts burning 600k miles should not be a problem at all. Stick to NH and CX for the lowest YQ. For instance a cheaper way (but longer) to do this would be to fly NH BOM-West Coast & then DL West Coast - NYC. You would have saved a lot of money.

Indeed, 240k JP miles + INR 46k is for BOM-JFK return J fare on EY metal.
Also, I did check the possibility of flying NH/CX one stop to NYC but they couldn't price it/"find availability" for any pair of dates, 12 days apart, in the entire months of June or July 2019. I'm travelling with an infant and want to minimise the number of stops (and time); hence did not look at bouncing off the west coast.

Being OWS (hopefully OWE in Feb 19), I did try multiple times to have them work something out on CX; the mysterious JP partner airline redemption team is not big on communication and I am not really sure why it couldn't be priced up although there was availability (visible online).

Last edited by vbh812; Nov 12, 2018 at 12:06 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: 9WPlat
EY has pretty high surcharges.. I paid INR 29k taxes for F redemption JFK-BOM
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by BOMflyer
EY has pretty high surcharges.. I paid INR 29k taxes for F redemption JFK-BOM
Using 9w miles?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Using 9w miles?
yes
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:55 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
and how much in miles? BOMFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by A2A
Should be 180k JP miles one way, as per the partner redemption chart, but with 9W one never really knows.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by A2A
180k miles
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Wyndham Plat
Fellow AvGeeks!
I am deeply worried about the Jet Airways scenario and the JPMiles I hold.
I am thinking of redeeming them for something worthwhile.
I am not intending to book any ticket as, if 9W stays afloat, no point in redeeming the miles in a hurry. But if I redeem it on tickets and 9W sinks, the points and my travel plan will go for a toss! And I am worried it will sink, hence the redemption run.
However, I am not able to find any good deal beyond INR 0.20/Mile.
Any sweet spot where I can redeem the miles for some good gift voucher, item or stay?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by turbospooler
Any sweet spot where I can redeem the miles for some good gift voucher, item or stay?
Redemption sweetspots are always for flights. GVs, hotels, car rentals etc. return very poor value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.