DEL/BOM/HYD - YYZ in November

Old Oct 5, 18, 6:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: star Alliance, JP miles, SQ, Avios
Posts: 5
DEL/BOM/HYD - YYZ in November

First post so please be easy on me

I've accumulated about 80k JP Miles, 30k Avios and 30k SQ. For my first international award redemption I'd like to use either 30K Avios or 30k SQ for an award flight to YYZ in Economy for dates in November.

what are my best options I know there's availability on 9W and 60k JP miles on partner airlines is a decent deal imo however, I'd like to be able to use up Avios.
Harrytind is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:26 am
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 4,110
Welcome to FT!

Regarding Avios, have a look at this excellent guide:

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

30‘000 Avios won‘t get you far, unfortunately. Most likely you won‘t have enough for India - LHR - Toronto oneway.
florens is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:07 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: star Alliance, JP miles, SQ, Avios
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by florens View Post
Welcome to FT!

Regarding Avios, have a look at this excellent guide:

Link

30‘000 Avios won‘t get you far, unfortunately. Most likely you won‘t have enough for India - LHR - Toronto oneway.

Thanks

I see there's a off peak 29.5k Avios redemption for DEL-YYZ on BA however, surcharges and fees are on the higher side. I believe booking on BA partner airlines can possibly bring down the surcharge and fees like AA for example but I'm not sure how I go about it.
Harrytind is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:13 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,447
Originally Posted by Harrytind View Post
Thanks

I see there's a off peak 29.5k Avios redemption for DEL-YYZ on BA however, surcharges and fees are on the higher side. I believe booking on BA partner airlines can possibly bring down the surcharge and fees like AA for example but I'm not sure how I go about it.
BA collects fees on most long-haul partner redemptions as well. And you're not going to get a redemption rate of 29.5K Avios on partner carriers.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:03 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Welcome to FT.

Your 30K Avios and SQ miles are not going to get you too far. I assume the 29.5k Avios redemption you’re talking about is for Miles + Cash - which is a terrible (very very expensive) way to redeem your miles.

Depending on whether your miles are expiring and/or you don’t see any other way to redeem them in the future and/or you don’t are about them here’s my 4 cents:

1. Your simplest and cheapest (surcharge & fees) option would be to go with Jet. I would do this unless theres some other factors that you’ve not shared here.
2. Don’t do miles + cash - with such low miles on BA & SQ you’re better of buying a revenue ticket
3. A little expensive way would be to use the 30 Avios miles to do YYZ - EU and then 30 SQ miles to do EU-IND. You will have to plan this well. Try and avoid UK to avoid paying the highest taxes on this route. Also, by having 2 separate tickets and probably from airlines that don’t interline you’ll run the risk of missing your EU-IND leg if your YYZ-EU leg is late/cancelled etc. Also you may need a visa in EU depending to go collect and recheck your baggage. This is very doable option if you’re very keen to spend your Avios & Krisflyer miles but it needs to be planned well and has some risks. Also of course it’s much more expensive than option 1.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:22 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: star Alliance, JP miles, SQ, Avios
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Welcome to FT.

Your 30K Avios and SQ miles are not going to get you too far. I assume the 29.5k Avios redemption you’re talking about is for Miles + Cash - which is a terrible (very very expensive) way to redeem your miles.

Depending on whether your miles are expiring and/or you don’t see any other way to redeem them in the future and/or you don’t are about them here’s my 4 cents:

1. Your simplest and cheapest (surcharge & fees) option would be to go with Jet. I would do this unless theres some other factors that you’ve not shared here.
2. Don’t do miles + cash - with such low miles on BA & SQ you’re better of buying a revenue ticket
3. A little expensive way would be to use the 30 Avios miles to do YYZ - EU and then 30 SQ miles to do EU-IND. You will have to plan this well. Try and avoid UK to avoid paying the highest taxes on this route. Also, by having 2 separate tickets and probably from airlines that don’t interline you’ll run the risk of missing your EU-IND leg if your YYZ-EU leg is late/cancelled etc. Also you may need a visa in EU depending to go collect and recheck your baggage. This is very doable option if you’re very keen to spend your Avios & Krisflyer miles but it needs to be planned well and has some risks. Also of course it’s much more expensive than option 1.
Thanks I guess I'll wait and accumulate more avios then, in the meanwhile JP miles seem to be the best option for a trip to YYZ. It costs 75k on 9W and 60k JP miles on partner airlines, would Jet airways oblige my request to fly only on partner airlines ?
Harrytind is offline  
Old Oct 5, 18, 11:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Harrytind View Post
Thanks I guess I'll wait and accumulate more avios then, in the meanwhile JP miles seem to be the best option for a trip to YYZ. It costs 75k on 9W and 60k JP miles on partner airlines, would Jet airways oblige my request to fly only on partner airlines ?
There are mixed reports on that. I don't have any first hand experience myself. You can definitely ask 9W. The only thing is that on 9W the YQ will be 0 and you will have to pay a small amount of taxes. On partner airlines the YQ can be (absurdly) high.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Oct 6, 18 at 1:07 am
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 12:50 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,543
Originally Posted by Harrytind View Post
Thanks I guess I'll wait and accumulate more avios then
keep in mind that using avios generally comes with a lot of fees & surcharges....using on ba is not feasible in my opinion & even on long haul partner routes there will be charges....i stopped using avios a long time ago....
Keyser is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
keep in mind that using avios generally comes with a lot of fees & surcharges....using on ba is not feasible in my opinion & even on long haul partner routes there will be charges....i stopped using avios a long time ago....
Avios on AA NA-Asia routes are sans YQ. There might be a couple of more such instances. It really depends on OPs accrual & redemption strategy. But generally I'd avoid BA/Avios too.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread