Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Did Jet learn nothing from the Jet Lite fiasco ??

Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:25 pm
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them

I just read an email from Jet Airways, regarding food on the flights.. Long story short, going forward, no meals for passengers who are booked on their lowest fare class..

So basically, some passengers on the flight will have meals, while others will have to buy the meal.. this is the whole Jet Lite is a LCC and Jet Airways is a FSC, only WORSE.. it seems jet is adamant on confusing the passengers... I wonder who comes up with such brilliant ideas and how they get approval for it.. is this how they think they will turn around the airline ??
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
To be fair, Vistara has implemented this before Jet. 9W is just "monkey-see monkey-do"ing.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by deovrat
To be fair, Vistara has implemented this before Jet. 9W is just "monkey-see monkey-do"ing.
that's true....vistara did this a couple of months ago & it was only a matter of time before jet followed....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:38 pm
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by deovrat
Is that so? Sorry I haven't flown Vistara ever, so dunno what they are upto... din read about this either... but all said and done, I personally think this is a terrible idea..
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I was on one of the first Jet Lite flights... actually if I remember correctly when I booked the flight it was a 9W flight but later they changed it to a S2 flight. So people who had bought the 9W flight got a packet of crappy food.. and the passengers who had bought S2 tickets didn't get jack. And man was everyone pissed. Many passengers refused to get off the flight because of the alleged mistreatment by 9W and lack of clear communication.

I don't think this was a smart thing for Vistara to do. I don't think this is a smart thing for 9W to do.

While un-bundling fares is a way for airlines to make more money and for instance airlines in the US do make a lot of money by charging for these ancillary services. However in India is being done rather foolishly as always. Let's take a look at check in luggage for instance - in the US it's now $30, with the average ticket cost of around ~$200 so about 15-25% of the ticket cost. In India the cost of getting 23kgs on Jet for instance (which would be a 7kg excess payment) would be 50-100+% of the ticket cost.

Similarly for food - the problem will be with booking through OTAs, TAs, international connections etc. where one will not be aware of the restrictions... Especially with the cost of food (end-to-end) being around INR 200 (maybe less) and Indians historically not being willing to spend extra no matter what 6E's ancillary revenues will have you believe, it's not really a way for airlines in India to make any real revenue.

If they had all increased prices with the rising fuel costs instead of being too scared to because apparently their competitors wouldn't... they all wouldn't be drowning in debt.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:22 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Love the armchair analysis here. Bringing out the popcorn
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:44 am

This does seem loke a terrible idea indeed. As @PiperAtGatesofDawn pointed out, when booking through OTAs the fare class is rarely known/mentioned explicitly. There may be several awkward moments when some passengers are served a meal while others in the same cabin class are not. I just think it doesn’t make sense to differentiate service in the same cabin class basis fare. Unless 9W is morphing into a full fledged LCC, beats me.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
Is that so? Sorry I haven't flown Vistara ever, so dunno what they are upto... din read about this either... but all said and done, I personally think this is a terrible idea..
of course its a terrible idea....airlines are getting desperate because of the high fuel charges....they have to save or make money somewhere....but once again, its a terrible idea....
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
FYI - the start of this has now been postponed by Jet for a couple of weeks till Oct 12.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Hopefully because of customer feedback and not because of operational reasons.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
since when do they listen to customers????
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:41 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Doubtful. My guess would be some bottlenecks causing delays in sorting logistics involved in organizing menus, specific for-sale catering, crew training, &/or onboard payment terminals etc..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.