Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

*A Redemption Booking Now Availabile on AI website (Almost)

Old Sep 15, 18, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

So AI's just launched redemption booking of *A flights through their website. It's still quite buggy but a step in right direction. I think now AI should finally get around to delivering on the family pooling (apart from fixing the *A bookings).

Here's what I'm seeing so far...
  • On some routes AI is showing both AI and *A redemption availability eg: BOM-SIN even if you select to see just *A availability
  • On some IND-EU routes it's only showing AI flights only like BOM-FRA or BOM-CDG etc. Both via DEL. On others only *A eg: BOM-IST
  • It's only showing a handful of partners right now - LH (for intra EU only), SQ, TK, AV for a limited number of direct routes
  • It's not able to do any slightly complex routing eg: BOM-LAX as yet
  • Intra US availability not showing

I don't think setting up a *A redemption website is easy (technically, logistically etc) so it will take a little bit of time to iron out their bugs. SQ's *A redemption launch was a complete disaster a few months ago and they still haven't got it working with AI and others.

So kudos to AI to getting started... hopefully it will improve over the next few months and be a easily usable site.

My gripe apart from everything not working just so is that they only show miles required when searching for availability. It would have been better for them to show Miles+Cash requirements for the searched route. For getting the cash info you have to go to the next page which you can do only if you have the requisite miles in your acccount. That is silly. If I'm going to transfer miles to the account and I'm checking flight availability I can only get half the information I need!
Old Sep 15, 18, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
So AI's just launched redemption booking of *A flights through their website. It's still quite buggy but a step in right direction. I think now AI should finally get around to delivering on the family pooling (apart from fixing the *A bookings).
i'm looking forward to family pooling as well....ai said it would be available in early 2018 so they are definitely running behind schedule....

Intra US availability not showing
i can see availability & was even able to book a flight a couple of days ago....

So kudos to AI to getting started... hopefully it will improve over the next few months and be a easily usable site.
very true....its definitely a step in the right direction....

My gripe apart from everything not working just so is that they only show miles required when searching for availability. It would have been better for them to show Miles+Cash requirements for the searched route. For getting the cash info you have to go to the next page which you can do only if you have the requisite miles in your acccount. That is silly. If I'm going to transfer miles to the account and I'm checking flight availability I can only get half the information I need!
i agree....this has been a flaw with their award booking process for a very long time....its quite irritating to go to the next page to see the taxes amount....everything should be available to view on the page that displays the miles & availability....
Old Sep 16, 18, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i can see availability & was even able to book a flight a couple of days ago....
What route did you book. I looked at flights across a few UA hubs 11 months out. Didnít get availability for any of them. I think itís only available on specific routes - just as the rest of the AI *A redemptions online are.
Old Sep 16, 18, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
What route did you book. I looked at flights across a few UA hubs 11 months out. Didnít get availability for any of them. I think itís only available on specific routes - just as the rest of the AI *A redemptions online are.
ewr-ord for later this month....
Old Sep 17, 18, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

ewr-ord for later this month....
Yups Iím seeing EWR - ORD & IAD availability on some days now. But only 1 flight in the whole day for any day I select. Itís not showing for LAX, IAH etc. And 2 flights for EWR-DEN including J availability!

I wonder who is messing things up... is it AI or *A? I would suspect itís largely AI... but somehow feel that *A might have something to do with things getting messed up as well.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yups Iím seeing EWR - ORD & IAD availability on some days now. But only 1 flight in the whole day for any day I select. Itís not showing for LAX, IAH etc. And 2 flights for EWR-DEN including J availability!

I wonder who is messing things up... is it AI or *A? I would suspect itís largely AI... but somehow feel that *A might have something to do with things getting messed up as well.
i believe only ua saver awards are available for redemption on the ai website....so no one seems to be messing up....that's just the limited availability ua is giving for star alliance redemption....
Old Sep 18, 18, 2:18 am
Original Poster

i believe only ua saver awards are available for redemption on the ai website....so no one seems to be messing up....that's just the limited availability ua is giving for star alliance redemption....
Yup you're right. They're only showing non-stop saver availability. UA is showing tons of 1/2 stop saver availability which they probably don't release to *A. Also I'm seeing other routes that were unavailable till last night showing up now. Good job AI!
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking to book a star alliance award on a particular route with sq & there seems to be tons of availability when i check with other airlines....checking with sq & ua shows multiple seats with sq, lh, ua, tk & ms in economy, premium economy & business class....but availability with ai seems to be extremely limited....online it only shows one economy seat on lh & when i called in they said there were also 2 economy seats on sq....it just seems surprising that there would be such a stark difference between the awards released to ai as compared to other airlines in the alliance....
Old Oct 10, 18, 11:12 pm

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Thats weird, Starnet system should make the same number of seats visible to every member airline, except for cases when airlines choose to make more seats available on their own metal to their frequent flyers.

I wonder if AI bean counters have been selectively blocking Starnet space..
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Thats weird, Starnet system should make the same number of seats visible to every member airline, except for cases when airlines choose to make more seats available on their own metal to their frequent flyers.

I think partner seats are released individually to each *A partner. So it can be different for each partner or sometimes none at all. Sometimes space is released to the partner but the partner doesn't show it in the online booking system for various reasons. For instance - UA till recently (because of their feud) didn't show SQ availability online, but you could book SQ by calling UA helpdesk.

I've noticed that the AI website struggles with more than 1 stop routing for AI awards and even 1 stop routing for *A awards.
Old Oct 11, 18, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat View Post

I've noticed that the AI website struggles with more than 1 stop routing for AI awards and even 1 stop routing for *A awards.
a simple example in my situation is that when using my krisflyer account i see seats on sq, lx, tk & lh in business class on my preferred travel date....2 of these are non stop while the other 2 are 1 stop....on the flying returns website none of these show up....just one seat in economy on lh....when i call them then they say there are 2 more in economy on sq....so its evident that sq has much more *a award availability than ai....
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver, IHG - Spire, HH - Diamond & a wallet full of other cards
I think *a award availability varies from carrier to carrier i guess.

I remember some years back looking at redeeming some AI FR on Air Nz. The flights seemed pretty wide open, but no amount of date changes/ route changes were getting me even 1 award seat & that too in 'Y'..
Old Oct 11, 18, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes but NZ has never liked anyone redeeming miles on their flights - alliance or own FFP members - they've never cared.

Also seats being wide open is no indication of award seat availability. Also, basing flight loads on seatmaps is very misleading. If you had checked ExpertFlyer and seen award space available and it not being offered to you... that's a different story.

Search this Thread