MCT For Intl-Dom Connection At DEL on Jet

Old Sep 14, 18, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
MCT For Intl-Dom Connection At DEL on Jet

Interested in booking KTM-DEL-ATQ all on Jet, and Jet is offering a ticket with a 1:35 connection in DEL. I see that we'd be within the same terminal, and I assume we have to go through immigration. Would we need to wait for luggage for customs and re-check it, or would it automatically transfer? Is 1:35 a realistic connection? Thank you.

Our DEL-ATQ flight would be the last flight of the day, and the idea of being stuck in DEL overnight isn't appealing.

UPDATE: I called Jet and they said MCT is 1:15 and this is a legal connection. Legal doesn't mean we'll make it! Now the question is whether it's realistic...

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Sep 14, 18 at 5:10 pm
Old Sep 15, 18, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
Interested in booking KTM-DEL-ATQ all on Jet, and Jet is offering a ticket with a 1:35 connection in DEL. I see that we'd be within the same terminal, and I assume we have to go through immigration. Would we need to wait for luggage for customs and re-check it, or would it automatically transfer? Is 1:35 a realistic connection? Thank you.

Our DEL-ATQ flight would be the last flight of the day, and the idea of being stuck in DEL overnight isn't appealing.

UPDATE: I called Jet and they said MCT is 1:15 and this is a legal connection. Legal doesn't mean we'll make it! Now the question is whether it's realistic...
90 minutes to connect in del is realistic....also, if you are running late then jet will have personal to help you with your connection....you will have to go through immigration & customs in del & after that you need to check in your bags again for your second flight....
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yeah doable but you have to move fast and as Keyser said do your immigration, pick up your luggage, check it in again and then go upstairs to do your security again. As long as you’re on a single PNR you’ll have Jet folks there to help so you should be ok... out of breath but ok.
Old Sep 15, 18, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. This DEL-ATQ flight is the last of the day. What would happen if we miss our connection? The only other DEL-ATQ flight that evening departing later is Indigo with a departure time of 1 hour later, leaving terminal 2, which means if our incoming flight is delayed, we probably won't make that either. Would Jet re-accommodate us on a morning flight on Jet, and would they pay for our hotel in Delhi?
Old Sep 16, 18, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
jet would definitely accommodate you on the morning flight....not sure about hotel though....which class are you traveling in????
Old Sep 16, 18, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
jet would definitely accommodate you on the morning flight....not sure about hotel though....which class are you traveling in????
Thanks for all your advice. We'd be flying in Y.

This is early November (Nov 1 or 2 or 3) which I understand to be a big holiday time in India. Is there more of a chance that flights are insanely overbooked and we wouldn't get reaccommodated quickly or bad delays during this time?
Old Sep 16, 18, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all your advice. We'd be flying in Y.

This is early November (Nov 1 or 2 or 3) which I understand to be a big holiday time in India. Is there more of a chance that flights are insanely overbooked and we wouldn't get reaccommodated quickly or bad delays during this time?
this would be in the middle of the holiday season but del-atq is not the most popular route & there are many flights on this route daily....if jet cannot accommodate you on their own flight then they will put you on another carrier....
Old Sep 18, 18, 3:43 am

This is just before Diwali, so flights are likely to be fully booked. If you can't make the next flight, and Jet can't easily re-accomodate you, see if they can get you on the morning Shatabdi train (it's a 6 and a half hour journey, but definitely better than getting stranded in Delhi for Diwali).
Old Oct 16, 18, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

So, there was a schedule change and this connection is now 75 minutes
Old Oct 17, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I guess you’ll have to run faster.

As long as your flight is not delayed you should be able to just about make it as long as you’re on a single ticket. 9W staff will help you all the way through.
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I guess you’ll have to run faster.

As long as your flight is not delayed you should be able to just about make it as long as you’re on a single ticket. 9W staff will help you all the way through.
I'm happy to report that, after hauling a** like it was the Olympics, we made it.

At KTM, I explained the situation to the ticketing agent, and she had the supervisor send a message to Jet staff in DEL to help us. She was also kind enough to put priority tags on our bags even though we were in Y. We also chose seats in the 2nd row so we could get off first.

The flight arrived into DEL right on time. When we got off the plane, there was a Jet representative in a suit. I don't know if he was already there for us or for something else, but I told him we're trying to make the Amritsar flight and that we need help. He told us to hurry to immigration.

We ran as fast as we could to immigration. We wasted a couple minutes going to the regular foreigner arrivals line, not knowing we were supposed to go to the VOA booth that was across the hall and not really visible. When we got to the VOA booths, we were promptly served as there was no wait. The fingerprint scanners were acting incompetent, and it took each of us about 10 total tries to get the three scans accepted.

After getting our VOA stamp, we ran to baggage claim, and saw an empty carousel not moving. We were bummed that we were there too early. Then we saw the Jet man in the suit, and also noticed our two bags were sitting on the other side of carousel, all by themselves.

The Jet man told us that he'll accompany us, and told us to walk through customs because they might flag people who are running through customs, and then we'll start running. We went with him and passed customs. Then he took us over to Jet's baggage transfer, where we dumped off our bags. Then he took us upstairs into domestic departures, and got us to the front of the line for security.

The Jet man told us that he'll be leaving us at that point, and that our gate (60) is quite far and to flag down the trolley once we get past security.

We went though security, and one of our bags was flagged for searching for some reason. The security guy was busy going through some Korean guy's suitcase full of 50,000 little microelectronic circuits, and we told them that we need to get to our flight. Some other guys were just standing around doing nothing, and nobody would attend to our bag. An Indian businessman who had heard that we we were trying to make our flight yelled at the security guys that they needed to help us, and they eventually gave a quick look at our bag and let us on our way.

After passing security, we started running for the gate. Right after security, there's a steep incline that almost winded us at full exertion. We didn't see the trolley, so we just kept running for the gate. Already about 2/3 of the way to get gate, we spotted the trolley and flagged him down, and he drove us the rest of the way.

We drove up to the gate at about 7:50pm. Boarding was just about to start, and the gate agent made the boarding announcement within a minute later. We hadn't even looking at our clocks because we were so busy, and I was pleasantly surprised that we had made it before boarding.

We waited until the end to board, so we could both cool down and ask the gate agent to look up our bags. When boarding slowed down, I asked him if the KTM bags were coming, and he said firmly, "already loaded." Our bags might have even beat us there.

I'm amazed we made it. Everything basically went perfectly, other than wasting maybe three minutes going to the wrong arrivals line, and it still took about us about 45 minutes from landing to arrival at the gate. We work out 6 days a week, and it took all our speed and energy to get there in 45 minutes. If anything goes wrong and/or you aren't particularly fit, I don't see how you're successfully making a connection like this.

Major credit to Jet for getting us and our bags through. But I think this MCT should be at least 90 minutes.
Old Nov 13, 18, 3:49 am

I'm happy to report that, after hauling a** like it was the Olympics, we made it.

Major credit to Jet for getting us and our bags through. But I think this MCT should be at least 90 minutes.
Good for you! Of course you had another 25 - 30 minutes from the first boarding announcement till they close the gates.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Nov 13, 18 at 3:54 am

Search this Thread