Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOM AI flights from BOM INT area

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
DOM AI flights from BOM INT area

Is there any way to find out in advance if AI is operating a DOM flight from the INT section of BOM T2 (not the DOM section of the T2 airport)?

Are there fixed routes they operate through the INT section or is it on an ad-hoc basis depending on gate availability? Flights that are hopping to/en-route/from international destinations would be in the list. Of course people's experiences would be helpful.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Sep 10, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Depends on flight numbers.
Please note that all AI Flight ranges 010-399 and 900-999 depart from the international terminal. All Air India flights (Domestic and International) at Mumbai will operate from/to Terminal–2 (T2) at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Sahar, Mumbai
I did AI 144 last week BOM-DEL. Left from the international terminal at BOM. There is a separate "D" boarding passes security and passageway to enter the international terminal.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Some examples:

AI144 EWR-BOM-DEL
AI310 BOM-DEL-HKG-ICN
AI101 BOM-DEL-JFK
AI348 BOM-DEL-PVG
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Thanks. I’ll look out for those flight numbers!

I did AI 54 & 55.... departed from and landed at INT BOM, also landed and departed from INT COK. Had the separate D on the BP etc. Since it was a DOM only flight (as far as I could figure) I couldn’t understand why it was using the INT facilities.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:14 pm

This is a known issue and there are other threads on it already. There are specific ranges of flight numbers that depart from the international terminal, and that information would be more useful than the anecdotal evidence of three or four specific flight numbers. (I am sorry, I haven't taken the time to look for them, but I found the information using Google at some point.)

No, your flight was not a "domestic only" flight---its origin and destination may be domestic, but COK-BOM carried some passengers who have passed exit immigration and Customs at COK and are connecting to international flights (the reverse for BOM-COK, passengers who will pass immig and customs at COK).

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI 001-399 and 900-999 are international flights that also have a domestic segment, mostly to feed BOM/DEL longhaul.

This is a vestigial set up from when AI and IC were separate carriers and AI used to operate international flights from BOM/DEL/CCU/MAA only.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI 001-399 and 900-999 are international flights that also have a domestic segment, mostly to feed BOM/DEL longhaul.

This is a vestigial set up from when AI and IC were separate carriers and AI used to operate international flights from BOM/DEL/CCU/MAA only.
Thanks... makes sense now.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I did AI 54 & 55.... departed from and landed at INT BOM, also landed and departed from INT COK. Had the separate D on the BP etc. Since it was a DOM only flight (as far as I could figure) I couldn’t understand why it was using the INT facilities.
i routinely take a del-bbi flight that departs in the afternoon & it takes off from the international terminal in del & lands in the international terminal in bbi....the reason for this is because its an international flight coming in from another destination & connecting to bbi....some passengers in bbi get into the immigration line while the domestic passengers exit through another lane where they just need to get their boarding passes stamped....
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Typical confusing redundancy culture of the Indian aviation system. Just like having handbag tag stamped which existed for a long time. This could also be simplified quite a bit.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Why? I really like the option to leave the country in CCU and just connect in DEL.

The D boarding pass is just for those who purchase a domestic segment....
AJLondon and PVDtoDEL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.