Carry-on bags in India

Old Aug 4, 18, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Carry-on bags in India

I am traveling to India next month. How strictly do they adhere to size restrictions on DOMESTIC flights? My international flights in and out of India will be First Class.

1. I have one domestic flight -- booked by a cruise company -- which will be in economy. Mumbai to Jaipur. We have not been told yet which airline.

2. I have one domestic flight, on Jet Airways, which I booked. It is Premier Class (business) on an A330. Delhi to Mumbai.

How are things when boarding in India? Is it a cluster mess and the gate agents do not care? If so, I will take my somewhat larger carry-on bag (which does not fit in a sizer but never has been challenged in US or other countries and easily fits in the overhead bins). Or do the airlines check closely, in which case I will take smaller, sizer-compliant carry-on bag.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You'll be fine as long as your bag fits in the overhead space.

Boarding in Mumbai is generally in a orderly manner.
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
I am traveling to India next month. How strictly do they adhere to size restrictions on DOMESTIC flights? My international flights in and out of India will be First Class.

1. I have one domestic flight -- booked by a cruise company -- which will be in economy. Mumbai to Jaipur. We have not been told yet which airline.

2. I have one domestic flight, on Jet Airways, which I booked. It is Premier Class (business) on an A330. Delhi to Mumbai.

How are things when boarding in India? Is it a cluster mess and the gate agents do not care? If so, I will take my somewhat larger carry-on bag (which does not fit in a sizer but never has been challenged in US or other countries and easily fits in the overhead bins). Or do the airlines check closely, in which case I will take smaller, sizer-compliant carry-on bag.

Thoughts?
your somewhat larger carry on bag should be fine....the only airline in india that makes a fuss about about carry-on bags is indigo....they regularly make passengers weigh their carry-on bags & are very strict with the weight they will allow you to take on board....unless you are flying with them, you have nothing to worry about....
Old Aug 5, 18, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
your somewhat larger carry on bag should be fine....the only airline in india that makes a fuss about about carry-on bags is indigo....they regularly make passengers weigh their carry-on bags & are very strict with the weight they will allow you to take on board....unless you are flying with them, you have nothing to worry about....
crap. I wish I knew with whom we are flying. We won’t know until,we board the cruise ship.

thanks
Old Aug 5, 18, 12:00 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
If you web-check in and print your boarding pass at the hotel, you can skip check-in altogether and head straight to security and the gate. They very rarely gate check bags in India.
Old Aug 5, 18, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anish View Post
If you web-check in and print your boarding pass at the hotel, you can skip check-in altogether and head straight to security and the gate. They very rarely gate check bags in India.
wish I could skip check-in. But I have 2 suitcases that need to be tagged.
Old Aug 5, 18, 10:04 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
wish I could skip check-in. But I have 2 suitcases that need to be tagged.
Your best bet is to try and hide the carry-on from the agent during the check in, ask a friend or family member to stand in front of it
kevinsac likes this.

Search this Thread