Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HMPS
I suppose Goyal tells his grand kids " I started with one borrowed airplane, built an airline with 123 airplanes...but the BAD UNFAIR BANKS & GOVT took it all back !
Definitely
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002;31038773[b
]My memory starts with the DM/INR exchange rate at 1:4.5[/b]. I remember stealing 5 Rs from my fathers pocket in 1983 or 84 to pay for something nice and it was a massive deal. AFIR we could buy one marie biscuit at the store for 2p back then. Nowadays we have a debate with our sons like recently the younger one took 10€ out of our cash jar to lend his friend money to buy a xbox card for some BS Fortnite skin.
Would that be around 1981?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I suppose Goyal tells his grand kids " I started with one borrowed airplane, built an airline with 123 airplanes...but the BAD UNFAIR BANKS & GOVT took it all back !
I’ve not really heard Goyal say that... but I have heard Mr. Dube complain about this on and on in TV interviews, letters, news reports etc. Never ever taking any responsibility for the condition of 9W.

Goyal must be feeling a lot of remorse for holding out so long that it made recovering from that position impossible. That certainly was his fault.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My memory starts with the DM/INR exchange rate at 1:4.5. I remember stealing 5 Rs from my fathers pocket in 1983 or 84 to pay for something nice and it was a massive deal. AFIR we could buy one marie biscuit at the store for 2p back then. Nowadays we have a debate with our sons like recently the younger one took 10€ out of our cash jar to lend his friend money to buy a xbox card for some BS Fortnite skin.
Your son seems to be on a training course to be a banker working for state-owned banks in India assisting Indian airlines. Too bad for Goyal that there weren't more bankers willing to lend 10X€ to postpone the inevitable.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: KFEG, UK Silver
Looks like the bidders aren't interested in bidding.

No bids yet, Jet management sends out SOS
Old May 1, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by manish83
Looks like the bidders aren't interested in bidding.

No bids yet, Jet management sends out SOS
Not surprising at all. Who would bet on 5 ATRs & $1.2 b of debt?
Old May 1, 2019, 10:53 pm

And the prepaid forex cards of employees are frozen. Lesson for everyone - never leave balances in prepaid cards/salary accounts opened by the employer. This is indeed very very sad state of affairs for the airline staff.

Prepaid forex card balances held by Jet staffers frozen by bank
Old May 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Jet airways may soon loose the international flying slots. That would kill any last hopes of reviving the airline.

Jet Airways might lose foreign flying rights soon.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: MHC/5280AGL ; list too long to be boastful ;-)
Really sorry to see this sad fate of 9W.

I have flown LHR-BOM in Jet airways at least 20+ times between 2013 and 2015.
In my expereince and opinion, this sad fate of the airline may be is partly due to its own employees restricting operating cash income by doing 'favours' to 9W employees or kins/friends of employees rather to customers like me willing to pay for upsells at the counter. Had shared and described detailed account of my experiences on such occassions here in this forums.

Numerous times, I have offered to pay for upgrades for the night flight from but been asked to wait and the last minute, a guy comes up and says sorry sir - the seat has gone to a staff travelling.

Needless to say, whatever be the business - cash is king and now they are deep down under without cash.
Seeing the massive sector-consolidations happening between EY and EK, doubt anyone with cash in their pockets will come to rescue 9W, and am thinking all those missed upgrades (though drops in the ocean) would have mattered had employees started to care about the company's future before 10 years.
The prevelant "favour culture" is to blame for the failure of 9W, in my experience and views.

Last edited by flyby747; May 4, 2019 at 2:34 am
Old May 4, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by flyby747
Really sorry to see this sad fate of 9W.

I have flown LHR-BOM in Jet airways at least 20+ times between 2013 and 2015.
In my expereince and opinion, this sad fate of the airline may be is partly due to its own employees restricting operating cash income by doing 'favours' to 9W employees or kins/friends of employees rather to customers like me willing to pay for upsells at the counter. Had shared and described detailed account of my experiences on such occassions here in this forums.

Numerous times, I have offered to pay for upgrades for the night flight from but been asked to wait and the last minute, a guy comes up and says sorry sir - the seat has gone to a staff travelling.

Needless to say, whatever be the business - cash is king and now they are deep down under without cash.
Seeing the massive sector-consolidations happening between EY and EK, doubt anyone with cash in their pockets will come to rescue 9W, and am thinking all those missed upgrades (though drops in the ocean) would have mattered had employees started to care about the company's future before 10 years.
The prevelant "favour culture" is to blame for the failure of 9W, in my experience and views.
Thanks for this info that we all suspect happens. It is my belief that especially in India it is not "what you know but whom you know". I have seen such favoritism from the smallest to the highest level with of course unreported cash playing a major role.
I shudder at the thought of employees ( ttl of 25 K ?), all Civil servants and their sycophants, airport "bosses" at various levels exerting their "INFLUENCE". A major reason we have not reached the deserved rank in International standing !
Old May 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Sounds very interesting but the numbers seems off - https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...-flyers/412589
Old May 4, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Anish
Sounds very interesting but the numbers seems off - https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...-flyers/412589
Sounds really good...but feels more like " Shaikhchhalli" !

Airlines have too many moving parts, needs a lot of experienced people to run it. Of course if they start slow with five a/c, it can take off but to have / accomodate 25000 stakeholders and assorted debtors is a herculean task.

A very very long shot.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:43 pm

Thumbs up

IMO good riddance. Inefficient bloated companies have no place in modern capitalism. Only if Air India is allowed to go bust - that alone would rehabilitate the Indian aviation sector almost overnight .
Old May 5, 2019, 6:45 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...KCN1SB0A4?il=0

Not much left to revive though... few slots, few aircraft, few employees... and probably most importantly... no bookings...
Old May 5, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Sounds really good...but feels more like " Shaikhchhalli" !

Airlines have too many moving parts, needs a lot of experienced people to run it. Of course if they start slow with five a/c, it can take off but to have / accomodate 25000 stakeholders and assorted debtors is a herculean task.

A very very long shot.
So the idea is to generate 20k Cr by preselling tickets for 2500 each and stocks at 150 each (both tickets and stocks worth 0), employees will make their money and banks will recover from people who buy tickets and stocks on personal loan.

I think it's a great master plan to have citizens pay what Jet lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.