Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
have a flight to cmb in a couple of weeks....wonder if that route is affected????
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
have a flight to cmb in a couple of weeks....wonder if that route is affected????
Not yet. But at the rate they are grounding their 737s I wouldn't be very surprised if they did.

And then there is the chance they shut shop completely. Perhaps not in 2 weeks but soon enough.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
EK doesn't care much for 9W. They fly into nearly every Indian town that has a runway already and have cornered the market. What benefit would 9W bring them?
9W would bring them nothing but hassles, so it won't happen for that reason and others. Maybe EY -- and I do mean EY -- could stake a claim to the LHR slots for some reason and try to get those liquidated for its principals' own interests, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Excluding DEL and BOM, three of my other six most frequently used Indian airports don't have EK service. So I can say EK still doesn't have its own service to nearly every town that has a runway. much as I would at times like to avoid a BOM/DEL connection to get to some of my Indian destinations. But it's not a joke to think of EK as providing better international coverage for a wider variety of Indian airports than AI+9W offers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: VS Gold
9W have apparently closed reservations for BOM-MAN as of 23rd March. Nothing coming up on Google Flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
EK doesn't care much for 9W. They fly into nearly every Indian town that has a runway already and have cornered the market. What benefit would 9W bring them?
EK can always use more traffic and 9W can direct a lot of connections from second tier cities.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
New developments keep on happening every minute... 9W approaching QR. 9W pilots threatening to go on strike from 1st April etc.

Can we start a betting pool on when 9W will close. I’d say either end-June/early July 2019 or Mar 2020.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
BOM - CMB was operational as of yesterday.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I have BOM-CDG and AMS-BOM booked for next month and I'm really concerned now. I've written to JetPrivilege to look for fresh partner redemptions on EY, AF and KLM. Assuming Jet shuts down within the next few weeks, will the redemptions still be valid considering JetPrivilege is a separate company altogether?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:17 am

I am not even able to access jet privilege website. I can login but nothing else. Thinking of redeeming the JP Miles before they go the King miles way
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
EK can always use more traffic and 9W can direct a lot of connections from second tier cities.
9W can’t do much of anything for EK. EK flies to enough Indian cities that 9W feed via a strategic relationship and substantial equity stake is completely unnecessary for EK to have enough Indian traffic to route via Dubai.

EY was a different story since AUH and EY needed to suck away Indian traffic in a way EK hasn’t for quite some time.

EY’s engagement in 9W is now all about getting out whatever remaining money EY can get out from its (extremely diminished-value) financial stake in 9W at this point; and they are rather desperately hoping that the Indian government is desperate enough to push Indian state bank lenders to buy out or somehow convert EY’s equity stake in 9W at ridiculously overvalued terms under 9W’s current circumstances that they don’t end up with even more egg on their face.

9W trying to shop itself to QR was another act of desperation by the various 9W stakeholders; but even if QR was able to get the money (and it isn’t either), the Indian government and 9W had already shot themselves in the foot over whom they choose to get more deeply involved with.

Maybe next in line for India and 9W shopping itself: SV? But that’s also not going to go anywhere.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Unless Etihad approves you cannot get in a new investor, so no chance for Qatar. Sadly there is no one interested in the crew and assets like in the Air Berlin episode so if unpaid crew and lessors lose their patience the show is over. Lessors will be concerned about getting their aircraft back and crew about their bonds.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Anish
Assuming Jet shuts down within the next few weeks, will the redemptions still be valid considering JetPrivilege is a separate company altogether?
Should be valid.

Apparently JetPrivilege is a profitable company too. But as we saw with AB... Topbonus collapsed pretty fast too and was messy towards the end with no crediting/redemption and AB branded credit cards having nowhere to pay the points and so on. EY owned most of Topbonus just like they do in the case of JP.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:21 am

Unless Etihad approves you cannot get in a new investor, so no chance for Qatar. Sadly there is no one interested in the crew and assets like in the Air Berlin episode so if unpaid crew and lessors lose their patience the show is over. Lessors will be concerned about getting their aircraft back and crew about their bonds.
Yes but EY is in a $4b hole. They might want to just get out even if it means selling to their sworn enemies. I doubt if PNB & SBI & the like will buy EY’s stake no matter how much the PM goads them to.

And the show is over. Even if they get the money now they’ll drag this out for a few more months before completely collapsing. They need a lot to get out of this hole where they are able to fly only 20-25% of their fleet and they just don’t have what it takes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:15 am
Suspended

Unless Etihad approves you cannot get in a new investor, so no chance for Qatar.
That’s not the reason there is no chance for QR to pick up the pieces of 9W.

EY’s backers would love to get QR to overpay and to do so for EY’s stake in 9W.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 20, 2019 at 3:24 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by quarryking
BOM - CMB was operational as of yesterday.
hopefully it will be 2 weeks from now as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.