Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
They have also just canceled all flights to AUH!!! There go all those international connections.

Is this a "strategic" move? Why would they pull flights out of AUH now! So many people fly to NA and EU through this route! Not to mention that they'll be pizzing of EY plenty with this stunt.
This might explain it http://www.ecoti.in/97XTMa
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LH757

This might explain it http://www.ecoti.in/97XTMa
EY's future seems to be pretty limited, and it's era of access to cheap money to throw around to try to cobble together a behemoth and hold up much of anything has seemingly come to an end. [I am still waiting to see when EK and EY are cobbled together by the UAE principals trying to put an end to at least EY's bleed.] So loaning 9W money to ultimately try to help EY out is just a bad business strategy, one that seems more rooted in the PMO's political machinations than to let "the invisible hand" of the market to do its thing.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EY's future seems to be pretty limited, and it's era of access to cheap money to throw around to try to cobble together a behemoth and hold up much of anything has seemingly come to an end. [I am still waiting to see when EK and EY are cobbled together by the UAE principals trying to put an end to at least EY's bleed.] So loaning 9W money to ultimately try to help EY out is just a bad business strategy, one that seems more rooted in the PMO's political machinations than to let "the invisible hand" of the market to do its thing.
Or there is a deep plot for EK to get EY and therefore 9 W too ?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Goyal... you had a good run. Leave already before 9W is permanently damaged if it hasn't been already.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Alaska
I received email that my BOM-BKK(9W70) flight in April is cancelled.

Wonder what kind of option I have.

Can I re-route to SIN instead?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flights to SIN, DXB etc. are also getting cancelled. LHR and AMS is still on I guess.
The 737 fleet is decimated, so the midhaul operated with 737 is on the chopping block. Longhaul to Europe is with 777 and A330... no issues there...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HMPS
Or there is a deep plot for EK to get EY and therefore 9 W too ?
No. More likely the plot is to keep 9W afloat until at least after the Indian elections, all so that a very high-profile business flop doesn't bring into question the competency of economic and financial management undertaken by the current government. Of course, 9W's problems aren't a creation of the current government, but the more recent meddling to try to prop it up is certainly a creation of the current government.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

EK doesn't care much for 9W. They fly into nearly every Indian town that has a runway already and have cornered the market. What benefit would 9W bring them?
AJLondon likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:59 am

Flights to SIN, DXB etc. are also getting cancelled. LHR and AMS is still on I guess.

A few months ago when they were already in loads of trouble they cancelled a bunch of domestic routes mostly and added a few international ones. Additional flights to LHR etc. They’ve done a u-turn on that strategy.

If they are “saved” wonder what kind of planes/routes they will be able to fly in the near/mid term and how they will pull themselves out of this hole. Will UK be able to fill the void left by 9W? AI won’t care to do that for sure.
Several years ago, for non-stop travel to BOM, there was a choice of KF, AI (always with poor timing for business travel), BA, 9W & VS. Now, there is 9W, AI & BA, very likley to be just AI & BA ! Maybe in few years Vistara can take up Jet's slots, who knows !
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
And now EY has almost completely bailed from the deal & Modi is publicly asking PSUs to invest! That's the first time I can remember PSU banks are being asked to save a private co.

I don't think cash infusion will save 9W now though maybe just prolong the suffering. They will need really strong leadership and a gameplan. Maybe get Aditya Ghosh?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Several years ago, for non-stop travel to BOM, there was a choice of KF, AI (always with poor timing for business travel), BA, 9W & VS. Now, there is 9W, AI & BA, very likley to be just AI & BA ! Maybe in few years Vistara can take up Jet's slots, who knows !
6E and SG are both preparing to fly to LHR/LGW. LCCs of course but still better than nothing. It's hard to imagine an important route like this has barely any takers left.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 737 fleet is decimated, so the midhaul operated with 737 is on the chopping block. Longhaul to Europe is with 777 and A330... no issues there...
For now.. was looking for flights to YYZ earlier in the day for travel around mid may and the cheapest options coming up had 9W for atleast one of the sectors. In better times would have straight out booked the 9W option, but in the current scenario, sadly had to look at other options.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:06 am

There is tremndous traffic between the UK and India. In 2017 2.8 million flew from the UK to India, 1.4 from Germany, 0.7 from Holland, 0.8 from France, 0.1 from Finnland and < 0.1 from other EU countries. Even if 9W goes belly up, others will come in. That said the India-UK market is probably the most contested, so with slot costs in LHR new players like Vistara may not be super eager to start operations.

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/...1552996680606_
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is tremndous traffic between the UK and India. In 2017 2.8 million flew from the UK to India, 1.4 from Germany, 0.7 from Holland, 0.8 from France, 0.1 from Finnland and < 0.1 from other EU countries. Even if 9W goes belly up, others will come in. That said the India-UK market is probably the most contested, so with slot costs in LHR new players like Vistara may not be super eager to start operations.

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/...1552996680606_
If Jet goes bust, what happens with their slots ? They've got 4 slot pairs at LHR, isn't it ? 1 to DEL and 3 to BOM.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:46 am

The liquidator will sell them off, they are not assigned to Indian carriers. New operators may get a newbie bonus/discount, but at a busy hub like LHR they go fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.