Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm not getting a good vibe on this... lessors are really concerned now. This looks more and more like the airline is going to fail...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
...And avoid paying them salaries due. Quite a few pilots have bonds around the 1Cr range.
I can see a scenario where they will come out and offer other employees cents on the dollar of $ due as an inducement to go away.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm not getting a good vibe on this... lessors are really concerned now. This looks more and more like the airline is going to fail...
The lessors have a lot to lose, so if they are now convinced they will bail out en masse. !
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:26 pm

I've got an AMS-YYZ flight booked for mid May. Starting to get nervous that the airline will fall and I'll be stuck without a flight home to Canada.
I guess all I can do is continue to wait it out.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I've got an AMS-YYZ flight booked for mid May. Starting to get nervous that the airline will fall and I'll be stuck without a flight home to Canada.
Buy another fully refundable fare as insurance?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yes its starting to look very gloomy again. I think the govt. will now step in and start getting engaged more overtly.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Sorry but why should the government step in? Clearly Jet has lost touch with the market and can't compete with the loco on the low end and vistara on the high end. It's not too big to fail.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Looks like they've managed to buy some time.

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...249762128.html
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:56 am

Sorry but why should the government step in? Clearly Jet has lost touch with the market and can't compete with the loco on the low end and vistara on the high end. It's not too big to fail.
I don't think the govt. will infuse funds but use their leverage with SBI and other nationalized banks and other tools to push for a deal to go through. Jet failing isn't a good scenario for anyone. For consumers it will mean costs will spiral. There will be loss of confidence in the Indian airlines sector (not good right before the elections), loss of jobs, financial losses all around etc. etc.

They're certainly not too big to fail. But there's a lot ridding on them not to.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've got a few flights with 9w in april....luckily the tickets have been bought through delta so they should be able to put me on another flight in case the 9w sectors get cancelled....
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Anish

There we go. Finally some good news for 9W. Of course they DCGA might still choose to keep those 737 Maxs from flying. But this would enable 9W to get some planes in the air again.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:37 am

I don't think the govt. will infuse funds but use their leverage with SBI and other nationalized banks and other tools to push for a deal to go through. Jet failing isn't a good scenario for anyone. For consumers it will mean costs will spiral. There will be loss of confidence in the Indian airlines sector (not good right before the elections), loss of jobs, financial losses all around etc. etc.

They're certainly not too big to fail. But there's a lot ridding on them not to.
OTOH a failure of 9W would instantly increase revenues for AI and improve Indigo and cos cash flow. The jobs are not a big factor, the cabin and flight crew will instantly find a home in the current market. The consumers are already going for the LoCos, who have massive growth planned and need the customers.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:20 am

OTOH a failure of 9W would instantly increase revenues for AI and improve Indigo and cos cash flow. The jobs are not a big factor, the cabin and flight crew will instantly find a home in the current market. The consumers are already going for the LoCos, who have massive growth planned and need the customers.
Yups and OTOH loss of face for the govt. in an election year. Poor reflection on Indian aviation industry and Indian industry in general. Big holes in the PSU banks books etc.

Also, revenue has never been a problem for AI. They have always priced tickets at the rates they've wanted to and have fairly high occupancy. I think they could charge J rates in Y and still make losses in the millions.
NoviceFT likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Anish

In a hilarious turn of events... https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68363898.cms

This reminds me of my school/college days when we used to deny ever borrowing money from our friends when it came time to repay them.

Not saying thats what 9W is doing. The way the events are unfolding reminds me of that.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I can't risk it. I just canceled a Jet flight BLR-AMS. Rebooked with KLM BOM-AMS.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:27 am

Buy another fully refundable fare as insurance?
While this is a great idea in theory, and I'm not looking for sympathy here, but I just can't afford it.
I need a one-way ticket from Amsterdam to Canada, and one way tickets are expensive enough, let alone a flex fare.
However, if Jet fails, then I could be out just as much money anyway to buy a last minute ticket.
So, lose-lose. I'll just try and stay positive and hope all works out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.