Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The question is what conditions are tied to this cash injection. SBI's involvement indicates some kind of state support, I doubt they would invest further cash without getting the approval of some babu first. Goyal giving away control indicates that Etihad is seriously involved. Which is surprising, because they are overall retreating quickly from all their investments to limit their losses.
Wasn't Goyals minor role a demand / condition of Tatas, Vistara etc ? Maybe they are the dark horse in this race.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't recall Tata/Vistara being the race to take over 9W...? Didn't they look at AI?

Also are the restrictions on foreign ownership of airlines off the table now?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by HMPS
Wasn't Goyals minor role a demand / condition of Tatas, Vistara etc ? Maybe they are the dark horse in this race.
when did tata/vistara get in the race????i don't remember that....

what you are referring to is the demand ey made....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yes that could be an angle. EY's "investments" have all failed and they're in a tight spot themselves.

I'm surprised QR didn't make an offer of 175 to Goyal and try and push EY out. They wouldn't get a better opportunity than this at least for the next few years.
If Goyal really wanted to play hardball, this would have been a great alternative. Both QR and EY would do anything to spite each other. Maybe SBI can try to offload their holdings to QR in a year's time ! I don't see the Qatar/UAE spat being resolved anytime soon.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
QR will not buy unless EY exits. SBI & co selling their shares would mean EY & QR would be jointly running things. That would make for a great sitcom though.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I don't recall Tata/Vistara being the race to take over 9W...? Didn't they look at AI?
They were looking at it in Oct/Nov ‘18 I think. Tatas also released statements confirming that they were in discussions.

Also are the restrictions on foreign ownership of airlines off the table now?
So foreigners can own 100% of an Indian airlines and 49% of a foreign airlines in India. I think they changed this rule late last year.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

They were looking at it in Oct/Nov ‘18 I think. Tatas also released statements confirming that they were in discussions.

So foreigners can own 100% of an Indian airlines and 49% of a foreign airlines in India. I think they changed this rule late last year.
Don't know the law butin that case wouldn't a major airline pounce on 100 % ?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Don't know the law butin that case wouldn't a major airline pounce on 100 % ?
Existing share holders have to be willing to sell their shares. Also it’s a high risk purchase so rarely would a complete outsider be willing to take so much risk with no upside. What benefit would EY get by holding 100% vs 50%? It’s a high risk-no rewards type of situation.

You’d always want to distribute the risk with partners and financial institutions.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Qatar, 9W, Hyatt, IHG
Now is the time to redeem all 9W miles on international partners. From what I hear, the JP miles are soon to be 'devalued' in terms of requirements on partner airlines with no significant change in the earning ratio.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
9W’s troubles appears to be mounting all the time as per this report.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:47 pm

Snowballs tend to grow larger as they roll downhill. More irregularities will surface.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So the conversion is approved:
During the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) on Thursday, the shareholders also approved alterations to the company's Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association.

But SBI is going to sue Jet for recovery of dues?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68150022.cms
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:57 am

I've been reading that it isn't finalised yet ? Goyal hasn't agreed to dropping his shares and board seat yet. SBI is running around being a mediator between Goyal and Etihad and maybe airing few of it's issues as well while they are at it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I've been reading that it isn't finalised yet ? Goyal hasn't agreed to dropping his shares and board seat yet. SBI is running around being a mediator between Goyal and Etihad and maybe airing few of it's issues as well while they are at it.
I suppose Goyal is playing brinkmanship thinking / knowing they cannot afford to go into bankruptcy.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Ouch.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...s-3584921.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.