Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
While this is a great idea in theory, and I'm not looking for sympathy here, but I just can't afford it.
I need a one-way ticket from Amsterdam to Canada, and one way tickets are expensive enough, let alone a flex fare.
However, if Jet fails, then I could be out just as much money anyway to buy a last minute ticket.
So, lose-lose. I'll just try and stay positive and hope all works out.
Understand. Have you looked for Discount LLCs ? Checked matrix.itasoftware.com etc?

Have miles you can book with in advance, ( check cancellation penalties).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I have LHR BOM flights booked on 9W next month

Should the airline go under - is there any credit card protection possible for me to recoup my ticket costs?

Or should I jump ship now and buy a ticket with another airline as a backup?

What would you do, FTers?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW

Should the airline go under - is there any credit card protection possible for me to recoup my ticket costs?

The longer it takes to get the deal done the more the changes of it falling through. However the SBI Chairman has said there will be a restructuring deal by next week.

I think the risk of the airlines failing under the current circumstances is low. So unless I have very low cancellation fees I would not buy a new ticket right away.

I’d also keep tracking prices though. I think 9W can get into a much deeper mess before it gets more money and that’s what I’d be worried about. And of course it’s impossible to say if that will affect your flight.

To summarize - 9W will probably not fail. However it’s uncertain how much further it will slide. So you are at risk but probably not so much to cancel tickets with high cancellation charges.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Colleagues are travelling to India mid April and finalized their tickets this week. Air India no longer shows on our corp travel portal and now Jet Airways has been restricted: no more tickets to be issued on 589 stock after April 1. So now it's down to flying SG and UK domestically.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW

In the US there is protection when paid with a CC. Suppose how fast the CC can charge nack the carrier etc. Assume same for India?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
So now it's down to flying SG and UK domestically.
SG over 6E yikes! I guess your TA doesn't like Travelport at all.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
In the US there is protection when paid with a CC. Suppose how fast the CC can charge nack the carrier etc. Assume same for India?
Nothing like that in India. Though a couple of credit cards did offer it as a promotional thing for a month very recently.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Ouch

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

They have also just canceled all flights to AUH!!! There go all those international connections.

Is this a "strategic" move? Why would they pull flights out of AUH now! So many people fly to NA and EU through this route! Not to mention that they'll be pizzing of EY plenty with this stunt.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
They have also just canceled all flights to AUH!!! There go all those international connections.

Is this a "strategic" move? Why would they pull flights out of AUH now! So many people fly to NA and EU through this route! Not to mention that they'll be pizzing of EY plenty with this stunt.
This just sounds like a slap in the face of your prospective suitor ! If EY is to be the "boss" at 49 % ( or a majority) the person(s) who made this decision must know s/he will not have a job in the new 9W.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:41 am

I don't think so... if EY and 9W were operating in parallel it makes sense to stop 9W service to better utilise the fleet. If you are missing more than half your fleet of 737 workhorses to serve the crucial domestic market I would cut down on the international operations and save money to get a better utilisation out of the little I still have on hand.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:45 am

I don't think so... if EY and 9W were operating in parallel it makes sense to stop 9W service to better utilise the fleet. If you are missing more than half your fleet of 737 workhorses to serve the crucial domestic market I would cut down on the international operations and save money to get a better utilisation out of the little I still have on hand.
Don’t they make more money on the international runs?

Either ways. I think it’s criminal what Goyal did to 9W.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Mar 18, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:45 am

I doubt they make more money on the international routes. Crew costs, overflight rights, fuel etc. And then you fly 3-4 h legs instead of 2-3h legs with longer downtime at the outstation...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I doubt they make more money on the international routes. Crew costs, overflight rights, fuel etc. And then you fly 3-4 h legs instead of 2-3h legs with longer downtime at the outstation...
I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some international routes where 9W made more money per available seat mile flown than they do on any domestic route flown. But since 9W too seems to be bleeding money like crazy, it's probably more like a distinction without much difference since I anticipate 9W having a near absolute international route network collapse at some point.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:08 pm

Flights to SIN, DXB etc. are also getting cancelled. LHR and AMS is still on I guess.

A few months ago when they were already in loads of trouble they cancelled a bunch of domestic routes mostly and added a few international ones. Additional flights to LHR etc. They’ve done a u-turn on that strategy.

If they are “saved” wonder what kind of planes/routes they will be able to fly in the near/mid term and how they will pull themselves out of this hole. Will UK be able to fill the void left by 9W? AI won’t care to do that for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.