Jet Airways cancelled a flight

Old Jul 24, 18, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *A Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Amex Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Jet Airways cancelled a flight

Hi

I am wondering if there is any consumer protection when an Indian domestic airline cancels a flight.

I had made a reservation for two passengers for a domestic non-stop (~45 min) flight in India through Jet Airways. Jet Airways informed me about 20 days in advance that the flight I had reserved has been canceled, and instead booked us on a flight that leaves about 3.5 hours later.

Jet Airways also offered me a full refund. But there are no other flights available that would leave around the same time as my original reservation.

I had already made several travel arrangements based on the original itinerary.

I looked up some info on DGCA website.

http://dgca.nic.in/cars/D3M-M4.pdf

Section 3.3.1 states, "In order to reduce inconvenience caused to the passengers as a result of the cancellations of the flights on which they are booked to travel, airline shall inform the passenger of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure and arrange alternate flight/refund as acceptable to the passenger."

So it sounds like the airline is off the hook in my case. That doesn't sound fair to me, because I would have to pay rescheduling fees if I had asked to change my flights.

Is my understanding correct?
Old Jul 24, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by proton022 View Post
So it sounds like the airline is off the hook in my case. That doesn't sound fair to me, because I would have to pay rescheduling fees if I had asked to change my flights.

Is my understanding correct?
Incase of cancellation, delays of more than two hours or preponement of more than 1 hour, rescheduling fees are waived off.
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
unfortunately they are covered by informing you on time....you could ask them to throw a few miles your way for the inconvenience & they may do that but there is nothing else you can do....
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Does Jet compensate with bonus miles? How many miles can one expect from various types of issues attributed to them? It would be good to have some data points if I need to fight with them sometime in the future.
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Does Jet compensate with bonus miles? How many miles can one expect from various types of issues attributed to them? It would be good to have some data points if I need to fight with them sometime in the future.
it all depends....many years ago they gave me 10k bonus miles for putting me on an alternative flight which led to me missing my connection....another time their seat in business class was broken & they refunded me 50% of the miles i had used to book the ticket....
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *A Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Amex Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Thanks for all your responses.

Search this Thread