FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Redemption of JPMiles as Jet Airways Gift Voucher (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1918783-redemption-jpmiles-jet-airways-gift-voucher.html)

ashoonikh Jul 8, 2018 1:07 am

Redemption of JPMiles as Jet Airways Gift Voucher

Rs. 1500 INR Round Trip Gift Voucher available for 3319 JPMiles. Value 1JPMile = 0.45 INR. How useful is this for Domestic Flights within India where Award Tickets fetch much lower value and with restrictions ?

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 8, 2018 7:38 am

What restrictions are you talking about? Availability today is less than what it was earlier but it's still fairly decent.

My question to you is what is the point you're doing this if you're not trying to gift miles to someone because you can anyways redeem Jet miles around Rs. 0.45 - 0.50 / mile. Are you trying to double dip and get JP Miles on your ticket purchase?

Anish Jul 8, 2018 1:11 pm

You can easily get a 1-1.5 rupee/mile value with upgrades.

ashoonikh Jul 9, 2018 4:13 am

Where do i get 0.5 / mile value. I fly mostly domestic and frequent.

ashoonikh Jul 9, 2018 4:17 am

Upgrades are a less attractive for me. By the way, how else can i gain a value > 1 INR per JPmile considering mostly domestic travels & a very few international.

Keyser Jul 9, 2018 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ashoonikh (Post 29949564)
Rs. 1500 INR Round Trip Gift Voucher available for 3319 JPMiles. Value 1JPMile = 0.45 INR. How useful is this for Domestic Flights within India where Award Tickets fetch much lower value and with restrictions ?

it all depends....i just booked a ticket between del-bom for travel in november & the fare was inr 3,500....buying the gift voucher in this situation would give me more value than using miles for this sector, which would be 8,500 each way....but then again, when the price is low then i wouldn't want to use miles in any case....

in the alternative, i booked another flight last week between del-bom for travel later this month & the fare was inr 7k....in this instance it would be much better to use miles than buying the voucher....

Anish Jul 9, 2018 7:57 am

For domestic travel the best use of your miles would be last minute bookings where prices are high. If you're flying a popular route, you should be able to find availability on some of the flights.

Alternatively, Jet sometimes has a sale with discounted redemption rates, keep an eye out for that.

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 9, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29953708)
it all depends....i just booked a ticket between del-bom for travel in november & the fare was inr 3,500....buying the gift voucher in this situation would give me more value than using miles for this sector, which would be 8,500 each way....but then again, when the price is low then i wouldn't want to use miles in any case....

in the alternative, i booked another flight last week between del-bom for travel later this month & the fare was inr 7k....in this instance it would be much better to use miles than buying the voucher....

Agree. Don’t see any value in the voucher unless you’re gifting miles to someone else.

This seems to be a cheaper way of doing it vs. miles transfer.

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 9, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ashoonikh (Post 29953352)
Where do i get 0.5 / mile value. I fly mostly domestic and frequent.

I depends on your routes really. I do BOM - CCU a lot much of which is on late bookings. I regularly find one way fares around INR 8-12k against 12k miles.

My suggestion is that obviously if you don’t see that kind of returns on your miles don’t wait till the last minute for the prices to increase but rather keep buying revenue tix till you get a redemption opportunity.

Since JP miles don’t expire anymore (but you need to have some activity in the past 18 months) you’re relatively safe except against devaluations.

I don’t see great value in upgrades in general unless you’re sitting on a lot of miles or you want to experience a better cabin.

ashoonikh Jul 9, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks all for some quick and wonderful comments. Noted !

Anish Jul 9, 2018 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn (Post 29954286)
I don’t see great value in upgrades in general unless you’re sitting on a lot of miles or you want to experience a better cabin.

Isn't a better cabin the reason most people fly business?

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 10, 2018 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 29956904)
Isn't a better cabin the reason most people fly business?

It's in the context of better cabin vs. cost for it. For different people the value of the J/F cabin is different.

Eg: would I be willing to experience J on a 3 hour flight where I was getting Rs. 0.30 / mile - nope. Whereas there might be someone else who has more limited miles and redemption opportunities and might opt for J @ Rs. 0.30/mile because that would be the best opportunity he/she was getting to fly J.

Anish Jul 10, 2018 6:20 am

Ah okay I see your point. Most domestic and long haul J upgrades on Jet will give you > Rs. 1/mile though.

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jul 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Yups true. My numbers were only to illustrate a point.

Since I have a few miles in the bank and knowing I can get > Rs. 2 / mile by doing a J miles redemption it’s still poor value for me. For someone else who has fewer miles and wants to experience J cabins it might represent better value.

I have no idea where OP is in the game. So my advice would remain the same - hold out till you get a good deal and don’t bother buying gift vouchers unless you’re looking at transfering miles to someone else.

Anish Jul 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Can you illustrate an example of a Rs. 2/mile redemption please?