Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Delay compensation (departing India)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program

Dear all,

i wanted to to ask if there is any statutory delay compensation for flights departing India.

te background is that I have relatives flying in to LHR on today’s 9W120 which is running 6hrs45mins late due to technical issues.

ordinarily, I would have advised them to get Jet to transfer them into the BA or Air India but amongst the group are 2 people travelling on staff tickets whilst the others are on cnfirmed revenue tickets hence the group decided not to split.

for staff lot, there is nothing that can be done but for those on confirmed
tickets, can they ask for compensation similar to the EU261.

(I read that delays over 2hra = 10000RS. Is that correct?)
Old May 17, 2018, 10:28 am

EU261 is only for flights leaving the EU or for flights on a EU carrier to the EU. So 9W from India doesn't qualify.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by d3vski
(I read that delays over 2hra = 10000RS. Is that correct?)
where did you read this????

jet is extremely bad with offering compensation but for such a long delay they would have put your party on another flight....but since that wasn't an option then i wouldn't expect much more from jet....
Old May 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by erik123
EU261 is only for flights leaving the EU or for flights on a EU carrier to the EU. So 9W from India doesn't qualify.
as I said “similar to EU261”....I knew that EU261 does not apply on a non-EU carrier departing TO the EU but was wondering whether something similar was applicable
in India.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Originally Posted by Keyser
where did you read this????

jet is extremely bad with offering compensation but for such a long delay they would have put your party on another flight....but since that wasn't an option then i wouldn't expect much more from jet....
i know that the Indian media
sensationalise stories hence wanted to double check if anyone has had experience but I got the details from googling for flight delays and came across this economic times article:

http://www.dgca.nic.in/cars/D3M-M4.pdf

https://m.economictimes.com/wealth/p...w/59080161.cms
Old May 18, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

I didn’t understand this document. Section 3.4 which covers flight delays does not say anything about compensation other than that the airlines needs to provide hotels for delays over 24 hours.

And “refreshments” based on hours of delay vs flying time.

Old May 19, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Blasé..
Just a bit off topic but got 600Euros credited in Travel Bank by EY as a part of complaint involving EU261 when my flight from FRA got delayed by around 18 hours plus Hotel and food! It was quite startling to see them revert positively on the first request mail itself - still surprised!

Last edited by Bioflyer; May 19, 2018 at 7:11 am Reason: adding info
Old May 19, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Bioflyer
Just a bit off topic but got 600Euros credited in Travel Bank by EY as a part of complaint involving EU261 when my flight from FRA got delayed by around 18 hours plus Hotel and food! It was quite startling to see them revert positively on the first request mail itself - still surprised!
EU261 is a very good rule. Even better than US laws. However it doesn't apply here since it's a non-EU carrier flying into EU.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Blasé..
Agreed and so started by saying a bit "off topic"
Old May 19, 2018, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Jet is very unlikely to endorse them over to a BA or AI service.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

The biggest problem with Jet is false promises. Instead of telling the truth, they downplay the delay and keep pax hanging....And Combined with the failure to provide refreshments or any further meaningful
information, it was a poor show. People wonder why passengers in India get so aggressive but when you are treated with such disdain, what does one expect?

i know this flight was delayed at 9pm (4hrs40mins) before scheduled searture because the crew were informed not to travel to the airport s flight was delayed until 8am.

they did not provide the same courtesy to the pax who started to turn up from 9pm
onwards.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
The biggest problem with Jet is false promises. Instead of telling the truth, they downplay the delay and keep pax hanging....And Combined with the failure to provide refreshments or any further meaningful
information, it was a poor show. People wonder why passengers in India get so aggressive but when you are treated with such disdain, what does one expect?

i know this flight was delayed at 9pm (4hrs40mins) before scheduled searture because the crew were informed not to travel to the airport s flight was delayed until 8am.

they did not provide the same courtesy to the pax who started to turn up from 9pm
onwards.
not telling the passengers is unfortunately the way jet behaves every single time .I have encountered about 4-5 instances in last 3 months where net flights were delayed between 30 minutes to 2 hours and until T-20 mins, the board's kept saying security (not delayed) & then they changed by 20 minutes at a time instead of ever saying delayed by 2 hours.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
not telling the passengers is unfortunately the way jet behaves every single time .I have encountered about 4-5 instances in last 3 months where net flights were delayed between 30 minutes to 2 hours and until T-20 mins, the board's kept saying security (not delayed) & then they changed by 20 minutes at a time instead of ever saying delayed by 2 hours.
unfortunately this is far too common in india....
Old May 31, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
unfortunately this is far too common in india....
Hate it when airlines do that
Oh, you're saying 9W 637 will depart on time for AMD in 40 minutes? Then what the hell is the aircraft doing on the tarmac in
BLR right now? Preparing to teleport to BOM?

And that is the reason FlightRadar is the most used app on my phone!!
But try explaining that to my parents..

Dad: We must leave for the airport.
Me: The plane hasn't even entered Indian airspace yet!
Dad: How do you know? How can you be sure? I don't want to miss the flight. I don't want to hear your mom say 'I told you so...'
Me: Shows him FR24
Dad: This is stupid. Airline website is always right. We leave now.

After a 3 hour stay in a mediocre lounge: Beta wo app use karna sikha dena next time se

EVERY DAMN TIME
deovrat likes this.

Last edited by Neil Shah; May 31, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old May 31, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I imagine DEL is seeing a lot of delays on account of hot temperatures. My mother was stuck waiting on an MH flight for four hours on Tuesday afternoon. They didn't leave the gate and even allowed (from how I understood it) some passengers to wait on the jetway on account of the heat in the airplane (they had turned the AC off), but going back inside the terminal was not an option. If one were to decide not to fly at all, then they were let off the airplane. Helped reduce the weight, I guess.

People were going nuts-- there was a lot of yelling and screaming and kids crying.

At 5 pm, after taking all the luggage off and about 20 pax lighter, the flight took off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.