Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Urgent quick questions: Different tickets interline baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent quick questions: Different tickets interline baggage

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question Urgent quick questions: Different tickets interline baggage

Hello folks,
An urgent question...need to ticket this itinerary soon. I am a United 1K flying in from BLR-SIN-LAX-IAH (see below). I am planning to get a separate ticket for the BLR-SIN - say with Singapore (SQ), or Air India (AI) or Jet Airways (9W) because if I add that segment with SQ on L fare, or AI on some cheap fare, the SIN-LAX-IAH automatically bumps to a "B" fare and the fare rises to $3K - $4K in economy.

Questions:
1) Since SQ and AI are Star partners with UA, will I be able to check-in my bags all the way from BLR-LAX (customs)-IAH even though they are on two separate tickets?
2) If I choose 9W, since UA has an interline with 9W, will BLR staff check my bags all the way?
3) There is also an Indigo option from BLR-SIN...anyone know what the baggage allowance there is for BLR-SIN?
4) The BLR-SIN segment may be a weight concept (max. 30 kgs?) as opposed to piece concept, right? If so, will they consider that I am a US bound passenger in BLR and offer me piece concept because of interline though the first ticket is only for BLR-SIN?
5) If it is a weight concept (30kg) can I check-in two bags, so long as the combined weight is less than 30 kgs?

================================================== ================================================== =====

Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Singapore, SG (SIN) to Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)

• Depart: 10:00 a.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Singapore, SG (SIN)
  • Arrive: 11:05 a.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
  • Flight Time:16 hr 5 mn Flight distance: 8,770 m/14,114 km
    • Flight:UA38
  •  
    • Aircraft: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
    • Fare Class: United Economy (W)
    • Meal: Lunch

Change Planes. Connect time in Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) is 2 hr 19 mn.
  • Depart: 1:24 p.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
  • Arrive: 6:40 p.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)
  • Flight Time:3 hr 16 mn
  • Travel Time:
    21 hr 40 mn
  • Flight distance:
  • 1,379 m/2,219 kmTotal Distance:
    10,149 m/16,333 km
  • Flight: UA1241
  •  
    • Aircraft: Boeing 737-900
    • Fare Class: United Economy (W)
Old May 11, 2018, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m not sure there is a definitive answer, though your assumption should be that, as you are on separate tickets, there is no obligation to do so. You may get your way, but I would leave a lot of time between these flights.
surram and deovrat like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You need to get a travel agent in India to book the entire trip in one PNR and issue two separate tickets. Then (SQ/9W/AI) agents in BLR will see the entire trip in their system and check the baggage thru to the final destination . You still will have to collect the boarding passes from United in SIN and have to show them the baggage receipt so they have it in their system and accept the bags.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by surram
2) If I choose 9W, since UA has an interline with 9W, will BLR staff check my bags all the way?
I don't think these two interline anymore.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
My 1.3 cents - you're flying in the wrong direction. Are the tickets substantially cheaper going around the Pacific? It will take you loads more time than doing something like BLR - LHR/FRA/DUB/AUH etc. - IAH for example.

To answer your questions
1. Yes SQ, AI and UA will interline. I've done this between UA & AI a few times in the past
2. No idea.
3. 30 kgs
4, Since you're on separate tickets they may but are certainly not obliged to look at your UA ticket and have no legal requirement to. If you're flying *A you can use your *G status to get 2 pieces - 23kgs + 23 kgs anyways. On 6E you get 30kgs but make sure you split that between 2 pieces otherwise UA won't accept it at SIN.
5. Yes you can take 2 pieces totaling 30 kgs

How much time do you have between your BLR-SIN and SIN-LAX flights? Make sure you have plenty of time because if you're late for your UA flight they won't accommodate you on another flight.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; May 11, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old May 12, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
1. Yes SQ, AI and UA will interline. I've done this between UA & AI a few times in the past
not necessarily....on separate tickets they can decline....i faced this problem recently a couple of months ago....was flying ai from dxb-del & then del-sin on sq....was on separate tickets & ai refused to interline....
Old May 12, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
not necessarily....on separate tickets they can decline....i faced this problem recently a couple of months ago....was flying ai from dxb-del & then del-sin on sq....was on separate tickets & ai refused to interline....
Wow That’s unfortunate! In Feb I did BOM - SIN (AI) and SIN - LAX (SQ) and they interlined without issues. It was separate ticket issued by AI.because of IROPs on the BOM-SIN (SQ) leg.

So I had to go to the AI counter in BOM and get a new BOM-SIN ticket. And it was a separate ticket because they didn’t look at my earlier reserveration. They just booked the ticket based on the SQ representatives request.

When I got my AI BP, I went to the AI check-in counter and they took a look at all my AI BP (BOM-SIN) and my separately issued SQ BP (SIN-LAX) and interlined the bags without batting an eyelid or asking questions. I’m not sure the guy at the check-in would have any way of knowing my issue. EIther way it was certainly technically possible through AI’s systems.

Of course this was IROPs so they were bound to do this. Did you get a bad CA or did AI just flat out refuse?

In OPs case of course AI would not be bound to this though. Which is one of the reasons I feel that he’s running a few risks and some potentially major inconviniences to do this route.

Howver, even if they don’t interline, SIN is a fantastic airport. You can go and give the transfer desk your AI baggage tags and your onward boarding pass and they take care of the transfer. You don’t need to go landside. But even that takes time and patience and has its own risks.

Old May 12, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

Wow That’s unfortunate! In Feb I did BOM - SIN (AI) and SIN - LAX (SQ) and they interlined without issues. It was separate ticket issued by AI.because of IROPs on the BOM-SIN (SQ) leg.

So I had to go to the AI counter in BOM and get a new BOM-SIN ticket. And it was a separate ticket because they didn’t look at my earlier reserveration. They just booked the ticket based on the SQ representatives request.

When I got my AI BP, I went to the AI check-in counter and they took a look at all my AI BP (BOM-SIN) and my separately issued SQ BP (SIN-LAX) and interlined the bags without batting an eyelid or asking questions. I’m not sure the guy at the check-in would have any way of knowing my issue. EIther way it was certainly technically possible through AI’s systems.

Of course this was IROPs so they were bound to do this. Did you get a bad CA or did AI just flat out refuse?

In OPs case of course AI would not be bound to this though. Which is one of the reasons I feel that he’s running a few risks and some potentially major inconviniences to do this route.

Howver, even if they don’t interline, SIN is a fantastic airport. You can go and give the transfer desk your AI baggage tags and your onward boarding pass and they take care of the transfer. You don’t need to go landside. But even that takes time and patience and has its own risks.
they were both separate tickets booked directly with the airlines....i had a business trip to dubai & then another one to singapore the following day....i had a lot of time between flights but didn't want to carry my luggage out & then check it in later on in the day....i asked ai in dxb if they could interline but they refused....i've always found ai staff to be very unhelpful at dxb so i wasn't surprised....
Old May 13, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
My 1.3 cents - you're flying in the wrong direction. Are the tickets substantially cheaper going around the Pacific? It will take you loads more time than doing something like BLR - LHR/FRA/DUB/AUH etc. - IAH for example.
Hello Piper: I am using my Global certificate GPU...so BLR or MAA to BOM/DEL-EWR was not available; but SIN-LAX-IAH was available as R class was wide open; plus, SIN-LAX-IAH is cheap. The entire IAH-EWR-BOM-BLR; SIN-LAX-IAH on UA priced with GPU (only 2 GPU certs roundtrip) priced out at: US$1176. I chose to buy a separate tix on SG from MAA-SIN for around US$ 200.

How much time do you have between your BLR-SIN and SIN-LAX flights? Make sure you have plenty of time because if you're late for your UA flight they won't accommodate you on another flight.
I have 4 hour connection in SIN. So I am bracing for the possibility that SG does not check my bags all the way through. Called SG customer service, and they said they do not want to take liability for bags all the way thru (MAA-SIN-LAX-IAH) because the SG ticket is only for MAA-SIN. But when I called UA 1K line (I am UA 1K, Million Miler), they said if I originate with UA and have separate tix on any Star alliance carriers, they will do it. But SG said they don't. SG said may be the MAA check-in agent might do it...but no guarantees.
The fare jumps to $4200 from $1174 (because it prices out as Y fare) if I add the MAA-SIN segment...hence chose to buy a separate ticket directly from SG.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:27 am

Your route makes a little more sense now.

GPUs have been clearing quite well on BOM - EWR route recently. My collegue is 3/3 on this route this year! Is there a way to track the GPU clearance records or do you have to base it just on R availability?

Also, are you saying M fares are $1174 and Y fares are $4200? That’s quite a sharp difference even if you including the MAA-SIN leg.

Ask nicely at check-in. There is no reason why they shouldn’t interline. Otherwise SIN Transfer Desk will take care of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.