FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Suggestion for Award Ticket to Paris / Prague (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1907079-suggestion-award-ticket-paris-prague.html)

agarwaga May 1, 2018 1:57 pm

Suggestion for Award Ticket to Paris / Prague

Hi, I am planning for a family holiday (2 adults + infant) to Paris and Prague / AMS in Sept. I was thinking to redeem my hard earned JP Miles and AirIndia miles to buy Award tickets. Since travelling with Infant and my trip originates from Hyderabad, need your suggestions for minimum connections and best possible redemption options.

I see British Airways have a direct flight to London and well connected to Paris and Prague. Similarly, Emirates have flight to Paris and Prague via Dubai (again 1 stop). Do they issue award tickets using JP Miles and AirIndia Miles?

From Hyderabad, Air India connects Paris via Delhi (1 stop). But for Prague, do you think 2 stops is the only option? Do you recommend a layover at Amsterdam or any other city?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

PiperAtGatesofDawn May 1, 2018 2:59 pm

I don’t understand your proposed routing. Are you looking at sometime like HYD - CDG - AMS/PRG - HYD? Or something different?

Either ways neither BA or EY are Jet partners so you can’t redeem with them. Go through this document for your redemption options with 9W - https://www.jetprivilege.com/iwov-re...ril-18.pdf.pdf

9W flies to CDG from BOM & MAA. With AI or any *A it will be 2 stops to PRG.

When you’re redeeming miles remember there has to be award seats available on that route on that day. So it’s hard for anyone to recommend anything. It would be better if you used a tool like www.google.com/flights to identify a few potential options for you and then get suggestions from FT on which route would be best before calling 9W/AI to redeem.

Also remember that with AI you can redeem on the entire *A.

Anish May 1, 2018 9:37 pm

Jet flies to Paris from BOM, MAA and to Amsterdam from BOM, DEL, BLR.

Air India flies to Paris from DEL.

Your best option is to book a domestic flight to either BOM, DEL, BLR, and book Jet to AMS. From there, AMS to Paris is a 3h train ride. Then book Paris-Delhi on Air India and book another domestic flight back to Hyd. For the domestic flights your can use Indigo since they have a generous 30k excess baggage purchase option intl connections.

Avoid Prague altogether, hard to get to and limited flights.

agarwaga May 1, 2018 11:39 pm

Thank you Piper and Anish for the valuable suggestions. I think it totally make sense to take route 1) HYD-BOM-AMS with JetAirways (47K miles per person) and return 2) CDG-DEL-HYD (50K miles per person) with Airindia. Do you think its a good redemption or am I just burning my miles? Between Prague vs Amsterdam, in your opinion, which is better for a family holiday (with infant)? In case I am taking train within Europe (no Prague), does it make sense to include Brussels to the trip? Thank you for guidance.

Keyser May 2, 2018 1:25 am

Originally Posted by agarwaga (Post 29705739)
Thank you Piper and Anish for the valuable suggestions. I think it totally make sense to take route 1) HYD-BOM-AMS with JetAirways (47K miles per person) and return 2) CDG-DEL-HYD (50K miles per person) with Airindia. Do you think its a good redemption or am I just burning my miles? Between Prague vs Amsterdam, in your opinion, which is better for a family holiday (with infant)? In case I am taking train within Europe (no Prague), does it make sense to include Brussels to the trip? Thank you for guidance.

i did a similar trip with my wife & 2 infants a couple of years ago....redeemed del-cdg-prg on af using dl miles....when traveling with infants i agree that its best to stick to either direct or one stop flights....

you can typically get tickets to europe between inr 35k - 40k so i don't consider using miles in economy as best value for miles but to each their own....

also, i've been to brussels, amsterdam & prague multiple times & my order of preference would be first prague, then amsterdam & lastly brussels....

agarwaga May 2, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29705921)
i did a similar trip with my wife & 2 infants a couple of years ago....redeemed del-cdg-prg on af using dl miles....when traveling with infants i agree that its best to stick to either direct or one stop flights....

you can typically get tickets to europe between inr 35k - 40k so i don't consider using miles in economy as best value for miles but to each their own....

also, i've been to brussels, amsterdam & prague multiple times & my order of preference would be first prague, then amsterdam & lastly brussels....

Thank you Keyser for the preferences.. very helpful. I see flights upwards of 50k for Sept 2018 (per person), but cant find 35-40k rates. I have just started planning so, open to dates and location.

Anish May 2, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by agarwaga (Post 29705739)
In case I am taking train within Europe (no Prague), does it make sense to include Brussels to the trip?

Yes because you will pass Brussels while travelling from Amsterdam to Paris. Nice city for a 1 night stopover.

FYI check Brussels Airlines, they have some great fares for the summer.

Keyser May 2, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by agarwaga (Post 29707740)
Thank you Keyser for the preferences.. very helpful. I see flights upwards of 50k for Sept 2018 (per person), but cant find 35-40k rates. I have just started planning so, open to dates and location.

check google flights for hyd - prg....there are tons of dates in september for under inr 40k....

agarwaga May 2, 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 29707800)
Yes because you will pass Brussels while travelling from Amsterdam to Paris. Nice city for a 1 night stopover.

FYI check Brussels Airlines, they have some great fares for the summer.

Sure Anish, Thanks.

agarwaga May 2, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29707862)
check google flights for hyd - prg....there are tons of dates in september for under inr 40k....

Thanks Keyser. Looks like its only FlyDubai with that fare. Its a 32hrs trip to Prague, with 21hrs layover in Dubai.

agarwaga May 8, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi, I have zeroed in on dates :

HYD-CDG - Aug 31
AMS - HYD - Sept 09

I see that Air India do not have awards availability for these dates. Jet Airways awards are available but I am short of miles to book for 2 adults all on Jet Airways.

Revenue tickets are upwards of 1,70,000/- for 2 adults and one infant, and looks expensive to me. What do you suggest ? Should I wait for any flight sale?

I have dropped Prague and included Brussels. So now will land in Paris and then take a train to Brussels and then to AMS.

Thanks again.

PiperAtGatesofDawn May 9, 2018 2:20 am

Here are my suggestions / things to consider:
1. Booking dates - You're booking flights on a Friday and a Sunday. Those are really bad days to travel because that's when people are finishing or starting their business trips. Hence ticket prices will be higher on those days. See if you can play around with those dates a little bit. Traveling on a Saturday afternoon or a Tues/Wed is usually a cheaper option

2. If you change your flight dates does AI awards availability open up? Check for awards availability from BOM as well not just HYD. Worst case you can buy rev tix to BOM.

3. How many miles are you short on 9W. If it isn't too much you can look at purchasing miles from Jet. It's expensive to purchase miles from any airlines. So do it only if you need a small quantity of miles (and also depending on how you value your miles vs. spending Rs. 1.7L)

agarwaga May 9, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn (Post 29732881)
Here are my suggestions / things to consider:
1. Booking dates - You're booking flights on a Friday and a Sunday. Those are really bad days to travel because that's when people are finishing or starting their business trips. Hence ticket prices will be higher on those days. See if you can play around with those dates a little bit. Traveling on a Saturday afternoon or a Tues/Wed is usually a cheaper option

2. If you change your flight dates does AI awards availability open up? Check for awards availability from BOM as well not just HYD. Worst case you can buy rev tix to BOM.

3. How many miles are you short on 9W. If it isn't too much you can look at purchasing miles from Jet. It's expensive to purchase miles from any airlines. So do it only if you need a small quantity of miles (and also depending on how you value your miles vs. spending Rs. 1.7L)

Thanks Piper, will have a look.