Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India Privatization

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Next try:
NEW DELHI: The broad outline of a new revival plan for Air India is ready, the second such rescue bid in the state-run carrier’s recent history which includes a failed divestment effort earlier this year.

The new strategy will involve the government transferring the airline’s working capital debt of about Rs 29,000 crore to a special purpose vehicle (SPV) known as Air India Assets Holding (AIAHL). That will more than halve the debt burden of the carrier, three officials told ET.This new ..
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 am

Why don't they write off the entire debt and sell the airline? Only way anyone would buy it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No one will buy it even if debt free. The employees need to be moved into a bad co and then rehired on new terms. The bad co could get some of the debt and the real estate to pay off or retire the remaining employees. Air India has an atrociously high number of employees at very generous pay scales and benefits from pilot down to sweeper.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:13 am

Now they are doing a sale and leaseback on some widebodies to free son 850 million $ in cash...
deovrat likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now they are doing a sale and leaseback on some widebodies to free son 850 million $ in cash...
They've done it before as well.

The govt. will try to ride it out till after the 2019 elections before announcing they'll be pumping more money into AI. Which honestly I'm fine with as a taxpayer. But it should come with real restructuring rather than just unconditional cash as is has been in the past.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:50 am

AI not paying salaries on time: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67425996.cms
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:29 pm

So now the debt is getting refinanced:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67617621.cms
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down

So now the debt is getting refinanced:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67617621.cms
I feel great about my tax $ running the prestigious Indian National Carrier.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I feel great about my tax $ running the prestigious Indian National Carrier.
Are you paying taxes in India, if you're based out of BOS ? And if so, are you paying your taxes in $ ?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Are you paying taxes in India, if you're based out of BOS ? And if so, are you paying your taxes in $ ?
Sorry for the confusion. I am splitting my time between BLR and BOS for a medium term assignment. I have been spending more than 180 days in India so my tax residency is India.

For the tax $, I apologize that I used it just coz I am used to the term tax dollars.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:09 am

Another EoI is in the works to privatise AI in 2020: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67810883.cms
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Another EoI is in the works to privatise AI in 2020: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67810883.cms
I like the heading “Air India strategic sale likely soon”... and then the first sentence says that they’re hoping to have a EOI by Jun 19.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:31 am

"Going at the current pace, the EoI (expression of interest) for the sale of Air India will soon be out. Disinvestment of the airline is now a matter of months," said a senior government official. Meanwhile, the airline has put its expansion plan on hold in the wake of the disinvestment plan. It would not take any new aircraft on lease and network expansion would be done only by making more grounded aircraft operational.

The mystery saga continues...
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Seems to me that the process to sell AI is serious this time around. The roadshows seem to have a tepid response though. (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/72931261.cms). I am not sure if this is really the case.

I would love to hear nuanced views on why US based airlines esp. UA wouldn't be interested in buying AI out to get a foothold in the 3rd largest and seriously growing aviation market.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by ameyam
I would love to hear nuanced views on why US based airlines esp. UA wouldn't be interested in buying AI out to get a foothold in the 3rd largest and seriously growing aviation market.
Vistara and Air Asia India are prime examples on how a foreign airline can get a 'foothold' in India with a local partner. No need to buy a legacy airline with plenty of skeletons in the cupboard and super complex political entaglements. Any sane airline would nottouch AI with a 20 mile long pole. Look at an example of a European airline that gets capital injections from their govt every 6 months and stays afloat: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alit...tion-plan.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.