Search

Air India Privatization

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Air India Privatization

Looks like there has been some talk of privatization. Is it serious this time?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
more serious than they have been in the past....i'm still not sure how many successful bids will come in though....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:16 am

I am waiting for the unions to start the strikes. When that happens, then we know its serious.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I think AI can be a very competitive airline if it does the following:
1. Fire 40-50% of it's staff - esp. management & ground staff. I do think they have great flight staff
2. Invest in IT - they have by far the worst IT in the world
3. Sells of all their excessive (govt. office mentality) assets including Air India building (Mumbai) and huge colonies etc. they've built across the country

But none of that is going to happen. The govt. will probably not be able to absorb enough of the debt to make the airlines enticing to potential buyers. Then the airlines will be chopped up and sold in bits destroying it completely if it doesn't already collapse by then.
flyalways likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Looks like there has been some talk of privatization. Is it serious this time?
Thats the Rs 55,000 Crore question, among others...
..such as will the private airline thus created be able to provide the PM's airplane fleet for trips abroad? Will the babus be able to fly for next to nothing in premium cabins? Will politicians be able to demand first class when there isn't any?
deovrat likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They have to split up the company and put all the good stuff in one and the liabilities and union contracts in the other. but that takes a lot of guts and is highly unlikely.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by 678flyer
I am waiting for the unions to start the strikes. When that happens, then we know its serious.
It’s started.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Some of you who frequent other FT boards probably saw this discussion on EY:

Etihad interested in bidding for Air India (!)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:58 pm

Anil and EY... That doesn’t instill a whole lot of confidence.... Where is the Tata, UK, SQ consortium!

And honestly I can’t see why anyone would want to take over AI. Given its liabilities, aging aircraft and other baggage I can’t see any one really bidding for it.

It will be hard for the government to break up and sell esp. because of the unions etc.

So it will trundle along... sucking up all our tax money.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Where is the Tata, UK, SQ consortium!
they have much more sense than anil & ey so they are staying away....
Old May 19, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Air India: Why India can't find a buyer for its national airline
Old May 21, 2018, 3:53 am

I believe most people already know this, many airlines have been burnt by previous investments and would take a more cautious approach. Etihad being a prime example of having a history of bad investments. Any future investment by Etihad would require a proper due diligence and the current Air India sale model just doesn't make economic sense. I don't see any other airlines making a real offer (besides oh well lets explore it) for Air India under current terms.

The aviation market is a difficult one and to take on such a huge debt and also straddle along an interfering partner with a seat on the board just doesn't make sense.

If the Indian government is serious about selling the airline off, it will have to change its terms to make it more attractive.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Two months ago the talk was to break up AI / NACIL to sell at least some parts: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-ai...-idUKKBN19U02T

Today the news came out that
Discussions on a revival package for beleaguered state-run carrier Air India are at an “advanced stage”, the country’s junior aviation minister Jayant Sinha said on Wednesday.
https://reut.rs/2xTIuEO

Ouch....
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Two months ago the talk was to break up AI / NACIL to sell at least some parts: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-ai...-idUKKBN19U02T

Today the news came out that

https://reut.rs/2xTIuEO

Ouch....
ai will continue to drain the taxpayer of their money for year to come....this airline needs to be shut down immediately to allow the others to survive....
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:49 pm

They can’t shut down AI. And in the current environment can’t sell AI for the foreseable future. They’ve missed their window of opportunity.

I do like their service as long as it isn’t IROPs. They can certainly become profitable. They have the best routes esp. international. They can get the best slots etc. etc. They would need to fire their entire leadership first though.

They aren’t causing other airlines to get screwed. They have the highest ticket prices on most routes.

The main reason everybody is getting screwed is because of the high oil prices and Rs./$ rates. And none of the other airlines are willing to increase fares. With that kind of strategy the others would crash harder and faster if they got additional traffic from AI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.