Air India Privatization

Old Sep 26, 22, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Yep, also at the same time (dep at Lunch, return in the evening) which is nice for the consumer travelling to Europe but terrible for connecting to *A and UK partners (LH, UA, AC).
The CDG and FRA flights have crummy timing in my opinion ex-India as they arrive at night, but of course that becomes good on the way back as it gives you a full day in Europe.
Old Nov 2, 22, 4:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
AI is switching to a performance bonus model for TAs, they are not amused...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/95238148.cms
Old Nov 2, 22, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
AI is switching to a performance bonus model for TAs, they are not amused...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/95238148.cms
AI is switching to a reduced TA commission cost model for itself, as AI wants to drive down its distribution costs. If Tata/AI are calling it a performance bonus model, that sounds sort of crooked.
Old Nov 13, 22, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Originally Posted by galaticos View Post
Agreed.. but I'm pretty certain SQ will not be asked for money.. It will be a diluted share swap with some cherry to get it through..
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/95495613.cms

So it starts in earnest.. looks like a deal is agreed..
TravellingMan likes this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 6:59 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

AI + UK + IX + I5 << 6E! How far behind has 6E left everyone!!!!
TravellingMan likes this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Nov 14, 22 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 14, 22, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I'm very happy that AI express might be brought back under AI so I can redeem awards on the Gulf-COK/TRV sectors. Hopefully those sectors remain.
Old Nov 14, 22, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
AI + UK + IX + I5 >> 6E! How far behind has 6E left everyone!!!!
Did you mean ">>" ?
Old Nov 14, 22, 10:35 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Did you mean ">>" ?
Heh! No. Correcting it.
Old Nov 14, 22, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
I'm very happy that AI express might be brought back under AI so I can redeem awards on the Gulf-COK/TRV sectors. Hopefully those sectors remain.
I don't think that's guaranteed just yet. The LCCs (I5 & IX) still could operate outside the AI/*A perview.
Old Nov 14, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.

That is good news for AI. If only they will get rid of the cream color on their aircrafts and settle for all white? The cream (or whatever it was supposed to be) looks like it is forever dirty.
Old Nov 14, 22, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
That is good news for AI. If only they will get rid of the cream color on their aircrafts and settle for all white? The cream (or whatever it was supposed to be) looks like it is forever dirty.
I am hoping for a complete logo brand and color change. Toss out even the Maharaja. Or just merge everything into Vistara.
Old Nov 15, 22, 12:04 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
I am hoping for a complete logo brand and color change. Toss out even the Maharaja. Or just merge everything into Vistara.
The Maharaja logo was supposedly one of the most "valuable" part of AI value when bought .. but yes, I agree - they need to do something about the color scheme.. i dont mind the logo - hate the colors..
Old Nov 16, 22, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Tatas used to be the maharajah of Indian industry. They still are an industry maharaja, but they are a little diminished — sort of like their diminutive icon from yesteryears — and more like chota raja with this AI acquisition.

AI may make chota more chota yet — something the Tatas should have realized before playing to grab a nostalgic icon which may well remain a financial headache for them for years to come. I doubt they have come around to wanting to toss out the Air India brand and have it replaced by the Vistara name.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 16, 22 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 17, 22, 9:48 am

There is absolutely no way they would get rid of "Air India" for "Vistara.... for nostalgia, brand value, national pride and a million other reasons.

The Maharaja logo may get a redesign as things do get over time. But I doubt they will get rid of it.
Old Nov 17, 22, 12:30 pm

Logos are easy. Paying a little more to the caterers for better food is easy. I want clean planes, seats that work, IFE that works. They don't seem to be in any hurry. They have jacked up their prices, however---if I decided now to go to India from the US in December, depending on the date I might be paying $3K in economy. That is the approximate economy rate on any airline, but in business, QR is significantly cheaper than AI for the route and dates I checked. It's an upside-down world. The advantage of AI was that it was cheap; if it isn't, why would anyone fly it?

If I cared about cosmetics, I might also suggest that the yellow color scheme be retired. It hurts the eyes, especially because of the dirt on it.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 17, 22 at 1:43 pm

Search this Thread